FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Giant Dragon Superspin G3 Hard review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giant Dragon Superspin G3 Hard review
    Posted: 12/18/2011 at 9:52pm
I now realize that I spoke in haste - there seems to be a difference in feel between the black and the red surfaces which I confused with being the difference between the soft and the hard.  I really don't think the differences in softness/hardness are significant enough to go with the hard unless you like more dwell time, like I do, where the soft works better.  In any case, red is the color to go with.
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 11:22pm
I'm a 1200 player (and rapidly improving) and I think the Superspin G3 Soft is my preference.  I guess the hard would be the preference of Chinese style loopers, but even though I have a Chinese stroke, I wanted something that tended to handle my errors better so the soft worked better.  I like putting fast spinny rubbers on slower blades so I can get the spin without going off the deep end on the speed.  I tried doing fast blades with slow spinny rubbers but those don't work as well.  The Defensive blades also have bigger heads and I have bigger hands - a match made in heaven.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2011 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

How high is the throw? Where would you put this rubber in the following list (sorted from higher to lower throw)?

tenergy 05 > xiom vega pro > acuda s1 = galaxy mercury2 > galaxy sun > Hurricane 3 > Hurricane 2 > globe999 > Galaxy Moon = 729 classic > 729 higher

This obviously depends a lot on your stroke, as for me this list should almost be in reverse... to me the Chinese tacky rubbers have higher throw than the non-tacky rubbers there... the Globe 999 probably the highest on the list.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2011 at 11:34pm
Can Rubber Cement be used to glue this rubber?  I don't have VOC free glue at the moment...
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2011 at 7:11am
How high is the throw? Where would you put this rubber in the following list (sorted from higher to lower throw)?

tenergy 05 > xiom vega pro > acuda s1 = galaxy mercury2 > galaxy sun > Hurricane 3 > Hurricane 2 > globe999 > Galaxy Moon = 729 classic > 729 higher
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 5:44pm
I'll check at home but I think I sent it to another guy already.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2011 at 8:45am

Are the testing rubbers for G3(hard/soft) still in circulation?

My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
martian22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martian22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 6:28pm
Ok, so I've had G3 for a little while now and thought I should update this thread.

Most points have been covered in this topic, but theres 1 more important point to discuss, and that is the durability of this rubber.
And overall, the durability is great. After about 3-4 weeks the tuning died down a bit, as expected, but all other aspects remain the same.
Spin, speed and physical appearance have all held out well, especially for the price.

So if your looking for a cheaper alternative to euro tensors then give G3 a try!you wont be disappointed!Wink
Timo Boll ZLF
MXP

DrFeelGood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrFeelGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2011 at 3:37am
I'm using GD Superspin G3 SOFT (red package). This is an absolutely amazing Chinese rubber. Lightly tacky *VERY* soft feel and an enormously strong catapult effect, good speed and tremendous spin. This is the first Chinese rubber product that comes very close real speed glued rubbers. This is a pure topspin machine with great feel.

Edited by DrFeelGood - 04/05/2011 at 3:39am
Taffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2011 at 10:56pm
I mounted up a red SuperSpin G3 (soft) today.  The factory applied glue on the sponge stuck to cured rubber cement very well.  I was concerned that it would only work with water based glue.  It seems to be fine, but I'll know more after I play with it tomorrow.

As to the "tacky/grippy" debate, I'd vote grippy, not very tacky. (fresh out of the package...never cleaned). 

I really like Karate and I'm looking forward to playing with SSG3 tomorrow, since it sounds like it will be a step up in performance.

martian22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martian22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2011 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by thethinker thethinker wrote:

I think this rubber just fine after broken in. Great spin with my soft version, very soft. I would trade for a hard version out of curiosity.

I agree. It took some time to break in, but it really is a great rubber for a great price aswell.
Giant Dragon should hopefully get more attention with this new rubber.

I'd still like to continue reviewing my hard sheet, but I will eventually like to trade, Im sure other testers would like to trade aswell.
Timo Boll ZLF
MXP

thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2011 at 6:02pm
I think this rubber just fine after broken in. Great spin with my soft version, very soft. I would trade for a hard version out of curiosity.
martian22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martian22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2011 at 5:32pm
Ok ive played with the rubber for another few hours, and I must say, Its a great rubber!

I havent experienced any of this loss of spin that other testers have, And brush-loops and loop drives are almost as spinny as with my H3.
Surprisingly, this rubber is quite good at chopping, even with a 2.2mm sponge, as long as you have a decent technique.
Pushes are very controlled, and serves can be returned short with a lot of spin.
Serving is also one of the rubbers strong points, and I find it easy to do a wide variation of length and spin.

More to come.
Timo Boll ZLF
MXP

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 7:01pm
Tacky/sticky means "sticky" as in holds the ball upside down like a glue... grippy means just grippy in terms of something that affects considerable friction when being dragged against another object (ball).

By the way, Conrad... still no GD balls in your catalogue? I liked them a lot.

martian22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martian22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by conradsong conradsong wrote:

Originally posted by martian22 martian22 wrote:

Some very good points made there conrad. I suppose some peoples take on grippy vs tacky is slightly different. But to be honest, it doesnt really matter all to much, this topic was created to test all aspects of a rubber, and not just the feel of the topsheet.

Agreed.  Beyond this, the only thing coming shortly down the pipe will be a factory tuned short pips, 612 Turbo,  and a new long pips, Dragon Talon.
Giant dragon will be a big hit with their new rubbers, the quality for the price is great.
Oh, and sign me up for testing the short pips conradLOL
Timo Boll ZLF
MXP

conradsong View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by martian22 martian22 wrote:

Some very good points made there conrad. I suppose some peoples take on grippy vs tacky is slightly different. But to be honest, it doesnt really matter all to much, this topic was created to test all aspects of a rubber, and not just the feel of the topsheet.

Agreed.  Beyond this, the only thing coming shortly down the pipe will be a factory tuned short pips, 612 Turbo,  and a new long pips, Dragon Talon.
http://ztabletennis.com
FiberPotence ALC - SuperSpin G3 Soft
martian22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martian22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2011 at 4:03am
Timo Boll ZLF
MXP

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 11:16pm
Okay, my friend. I have the results... So first off let me say, that I think the majority of this issue is semantics, that is: grippy vs tacky vs sticky.  I think when you say tacky, I say grippy.  And when I say tacky, you'll probably say sticky.  Please understand also that I'm coming from TopENERGY and TaiChi rubbers and looking at SuperSpin G3.

Now with that said, I opened a black sheet, and (mind you this was new rubber), it held the ball a bit longer than the red, even after running it through a few cleanings.  But I actually have a one month sheet of SuperSpin G3 Hard in red that still picks up the ball, if only for a fraction of a second.

Now here's the catch.  On the TaiChi, Karate, TopENERGY, and SuperSpin G3 rubbers, if you press and pinch down on the rubber then try to let go, it actually does pinch back... like a grip.  I believe this is the manufacturer's G.A.T. effect.  Other rubbers like H3 Neo, Sriver and Outlaw do not do this for sure.

However, if you simply slide your finger or a ball across the rubber without pressing into it, the topsheet of SuperSpin G3 has noticably less friction that even say the Karate rubbers.  This is what I consider tack.  To give you an idea, TopENERGY fresh out the package, which has both G.A.T. and heavy tack, can not only pick up the ball, but the ball can literally roll down the sheet of the rubber upside down!

Ultimately, I don't want this discussion to get overblown and turn into an argument and really take away from the review.  Everything topspinschuss has shown is true and holds water, it also agrees with martian22's initial impressions and others.  The black is a little more tacky/grippy whichever you prefer -- I think it's the G.A.T. topsheet effect.

The tuning is indeed supposed to be more permanent, I really don't know how long it will last.  I'm not a heavy power player, but it's lasted one month so far.

Originally posted by topspinschuss topspinschuss wrote:

Oh good. I actually hope that the black one you break out is also tacky. :)  That would at least be a sign of consistency.  Black: Tacky  Red: not so tacky   Let us know about your results.

If all black SS G3 Hard rubbers are tacky, then this rubber would be more than a great alternative to factory-tuned tacky rubbers like blue whale 2.

By the way...I read on the Korean Double Dragon website (via web translation) that the factory tuning is some special tuning that is supposed to last for the life of the rubber.  If true, that would be great!  I guess we'll see in a few weeks or months how long the tuning lasts.

Edited by conradsong - 02/23/2011 at 11:34pm
topspinschuss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 8:11pm
Oh good. I actually hope that the black one you break out is also tacky. :)  That would at least be a sign of consistency.  Black: Tacky  Red: not so tacky   Let us know about your results.

If all black SS G3 Hard rubbers are tacky, then this rubber would be more than a great alternative to factory-tuned tacky rubbers like blue whale 2.

By the way...I read on the Korean Double Dragon website (via web translation) that the factory tuning is some special tuning that is supposed to last for the life of the rubber.  If true, that would be great!  I guess we'll see in a few weeks or months how long the tuning lasts.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by EZRO EZRO wrote:

hmm the way I see it, basing on the looks and the way the plastic sticks on the top sheet out from the package its a tacky rubber. non tacky rubber comes out with a paper cover right out from the box, but some do have plastic but not that sticky.  I trust JimT and Conradsongs review, but topspin's review also make some good points.   Jim I believe you need to ask the manufacturer about this issue.

So far, all the reviews have been for red except for topspinschuss... and for some reason, most of our players in Austin also like having red on the forehand.  I'll break out a black and have a look tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 7:01pm
Trust me. This rubber has been cleaned over a dozen times. The tackiness does not go away. It goes away a little when you hit some balls and the rubber gets dusty, but when you clean it the tackiness returns to normal just like with any other tacky rubber. Like I said I clean my rubber all the time and the tackiness is not going anywhere. I actually like the fact that it is a super fast tacky rubber. So conrad, if you are right I now have to worry about receiving a completely different rubber next time I order a new ss g3 hard? Idefinitely can't accept such variability.

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

wow... tacky SSG3? must be a completely different animal. But as conradsong said before, he has handled so many of them and none were tacky. Mine wasn't either...

Well... okay... so the first thing I do after a rubber attach at the club is to clean the rubber (if it's not for a custom build where I leave the topsheet film on).  I do so for my own rubbers as well as for the one's I help glue at the club... but I can definitely see the "tack" on the video...  After a round or two of Butterfly cleaner, it's completely gone.  SSG3 Hard (in red) is actually on my FH now... haven't updated my sig.

Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

wow... tacky SSG3? must be a completely different animal. But as conradsong said before, he has handled so many of them and none were tacky. Mine wasn't either...

Well... okay... so the first thing I do after a rubber attach at the club is to clean the rubber (if it's not for a custom build where I leave the topsheet film on).  I do so for my own rubbers as well as for the one's I help glue at the club... but I can definitely see the "tack" on the video...  After a round or two of Butterfly cleaner, it's completely gone.  SSG3 Hard (in red) is actually on my FH now... haven't updated my sig.

Edited by conradsong - 02/23/2011 at 5:39pm
EZRO View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EZRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 5:20pm
hmm the way I see it, basing on the looks and the way the plastic sticks on the top sheet out from the package its a tacky rubber. non tacky rubber comes out with a paper cover right out from the box, but some do have plastic but not that sticky.  I trust JimT and Conradsongs review, but topspin's review also make some good points.   Jim I believe you need to ask the manufacturer about this issue.
Blade: Butterfly Photino and Keyshot light
FH: DONIC Baracuda / Tenergy 64 and 05
BH: 802-40/1 and Raystorm
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
BH Kokutaku 110 Medium Pip
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 4:50pm

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 3:02pm
maybe the rubber was tuned and the liquid tuner came out through the topsheet and it became tacky...just an opinion of what could have happened
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 3:01pm

topspinschuss - I still disagree about the SuperSpin G3's tackiness, and I've gone through many sheets with the Austin club.  It is not tacky-sticky... and is tacky only in the sense that it can grip the ball (Giant Dragon's G.A.T. effect, I suspect), but this just isn't the kind of chinese tacky that you get with TopENERGY or TaiChi rubber.  The batch quality is very high, we haven't had any problems at all.

Although, I don't want to review Superspin G3 hard quite yet (and I don't think that reviewing it after just a day or two, or even 10 minutes, as some here have done is a good idea) I have to chime in here because a truly good rubber seems to be portrayed as something that it isn't.

I was actually playing with Karate Hard until yesterday and I am going to write a review on it soon. After a few hits when training started my Karate developed a huge bubble (pips breaking or detaching from the sponge) and was unplayable. To the defense of the rubber I must say that I had tuned the hell out of the rubber and it had expanded almost an inch. I doubt it would bubble up in its non-tuned form (and it didn't before I tuned it). More about that rubber later in its own thread.

A clubmate, to whom I had recommended ztabletennis.com urged me to try his Superspin G3 Hard (black).  I played with it for three hours on my forehand on a timo boll spirit.  So far it seems to be a great rubber and the reviews here completely underrate it.  First of all, it's a very tacky rubber. I have no idea why it's sold as a non-tacky rubber and some reviewers here say it's *completely* non-tacky. Even Conrad says it's completely non-tacky. I don't understand it.  I can lift the ball with it for 2-3 seconds easily when the rubber is clean (the Karate is very lightly tacky, too, by the way). This is definitely a tacky rubber.  Accordingly, the rubber is extremely spinny when serving, pushing and especially when looping. So the name "Superspin" is very fitting.  I have no idea what kind of "loss of spin" experiences some reviewers had here...I had none...it's very spinny all the time. Spin is more a technique issue than anything else, so I would suggest looking into that as a reason for any kind of perceived lack of spin.  The tackiness only dies down a little during game play when the rubber attracts dust and gets dirty.  You wipe the rubber clean and the original tackiness returns immediately.

Second, since the rubber is factory tuned it's extremely fast.  It's faster than an untuned Tenergy.  Now...don't go out there and test it by just bouncing the ball on a Tenergy and a Superspin G3 as the Superspin is tacky and the ball won't bounce as high as with the Tenergy. You'll notice the speed once you start playing...especially when looping.  You'll see that the Superspin is "superfast" when you put a plastic protection sheet on the superspin and then bounce the ball on it.  Due to the lack of tackiness with the protection sheet on the ball will bounce higher than with the Tenergy. I would say that this rubber is just as fast as a heavily tuned or speed glued Sriver or Bryce, which are both about the same speed and MUCH faster than a Tenergy right out of the package. With its heavy tackiness the Superspin is both extremely spinny and "Superfast".  A very underrated rubber in my opinion.

So...I am keeping this rubber on my forehand for the next few days and/or weeks to see if I find anything "weird" about it.  I will be able to write a more informed review once I have gathered more experiences with it.

To summerize...the rubber IS truly very tacky and VERY fast and VERY spinny.  If there are indeed completely non-tacky superspin G3 hard rubber floating around out there, then that would indicate huge quality control issues...which would not bode well for the rubber. I, for one, would not want to get a different rubber, with different playing qualities every time I order a Superspin G3 hard. I doubt there are huge quality control issues though...I think people just have different perceptions about reality. WinkLOL  This rubber is definitely worth a test at the very least. If it does not show any "weirdness" during my testing in the next few days and weeks I might just keep it as my new forehand rubber.

Oh yeah...cut to a Timo Boll Spirit the Superspin G3 hard weighs about 46-47 grams, which is almost exactly the same as what JimT reported for his cut rubbers.

It looks like this person has more experience with Superspin G3, and it is true that the topsheet would not be tacky if this oil or liquid would not be on the topsheet...but the black superspin g3 hard i had was tacky...
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 2:57pm
A couple of weeks ago i got a few Giant Dragon sheets of rubber...2 of which were superspin G3, a soft and a hard version in max thickness...the hard version was black and  the red was the soft version...I only had the chance to try the superspin G3 hard which was sticky due to a liquid that seemed to be on the top layer...i gave the sheet to a club mate and he confirmed that it was tacky or sticky...if this sheet is preserved under  a plastic cover the stickiness will continue for a longer period of time but if it is left to be aired out and washed numerous times the liquid will go away and then the topsheet is not tacky...on the other hand the red side was almost not tacky at all just a bit of that liquid was on the topsheet but i would mark the red superspin g3 as more towards a non-tacky sheet...please note that i have not used these rubbers extensively and this may just be an anomaly among other samples...i ended up giving them away to club mates and haven't had the chance to test them well to write a review but i recommend superspin G3...imho for players players who hit hard and loop for spin at the same time the super spin g3 is a superior rubber to karate...Karate would work well if tuned and on a very soft or springy high throw blade...i also want to mention Karate gets better at mid-distance, but when it comes to spin, placement, on top of the table, touch and variety i believe the superspin G3 is superior...the question still remains if someone tunes this rubber quite a bit...how long will it last?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 2:33pm

Hi Conrad,

Just watch the video that I just made.  The link to it is further below.  First I pull the *non-sticky* protection sheet off the rubber.  Turn up the volume and you will literally hear how sticky the rubber is and how it sticks to the protection sheet. That sheet is useless on a completely non-tacky rubber like Sriver...it will just fall off.  Then, you can see clearly how the rubber lifts the ball quite high and how the ball just bounces on it like it would on any other tacky rubber...just a few times and it suddenly stops.  I do the same thing on the other side with the Sriver, which in fact is a completely non-tacky rubber.  As you can see it won't lift the ball and the ball bounces on it many times and slowly comes to a standstill while making lower and lower bounces.

Anyone who watches this video will agree that the Superspin G3 Hard is a tacky rubber.  There is nothing wrong with that...it's still a great rubber.  Are you saying that all the Superspin G3s that you and your club mates tested behaved like the Sriver on the vide below? All non-tacky rubbers behave like that Sriver and all tacky rubbers behave more or less like the Superspin G3 on my video. Everyone at my club that saw and tested the rubber, and undoubtedly everyone watching the video, will agree that the rubber is tacky.

Here is the link:

For best quality watch it in 720p HD and full screen.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conradsong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 1:20pm
topspinschuss - I still disagree about the SuperSpin G3's tackiness, and I've gone through many sheets with the Austin club.  It is not tacky-sticky... and is tacky only in the sense that it can grip the ball (Giant Dragon's G.A.T. effect, I suspect), but this just isn't the kind of chinese tacky that you get with TopENERGY or TaiChi rubber.  The batch quality is very high, we haven't had any problems at all.

Although, I don't want to review Superspin G3 hard quite yet (and I don't think that reviewing it after just a day or two, or even 10 minutes, as some here have done is a good idea) I have to chime in here because a truly good rubber seems to be portrayed as something that it isn't.

I was actually playing with Karate Hard until yesterday and I am going to write a review on it soon. After a few hits when training started my Karate developed a huge bubble (pips breaking or detaching from the sponge) and was unplayable. To the defense of the rubber I must say that I had tuned the hell out of the rubber and it had expanded almost an inch. I doubt it would bubble up in its non-tuned form (and it didn't before I tuned it). More about that rubber later in its own thread.

A clubmate, to whom I had recommended ztabletennis.com urged me to try his Superspin G3 Hard (black).  I played with it for three hours on my forehand on a timo boll spirit.  So far it seems to be a great rubber and the reviews here completely underrate it.  First of all, it's a very tacky rubber. I have no idea why it's sold as a non-tacky rubber and some reviewers here say it's *completely* non-tacky. Even Conrad says it's completely non-tacky. I don't understand it.  I can lift the ball with it for 2-3 seconds easily when the rubber is clean (the Karate is very lightly tacky, too, by the way). This is definitely a tacky rubber.  Accordingly, the rubber is extremely spinny when serving, pushing and especially when looping. So the name "Superspin" is very fitting.  I have no idea what kind of "loss of spin" experiences some reviewers had here...I had none...it's very spinny all the time. Spin is more a technique issue than anything else, so I would suggest looking into that as a reason for any kind of perceived lack of spin.  The tackiness only dies down a little during game play when the rubber attracts dust and gets dirty.  You wipe the rubber clean and the original tackiness returns immediately.

Second, since the rubber is factory tuned it's extremely fast.  It's faster than an untuned Tenergy.  Now...don't go out there and test it by just bouncing the ball on a Tenergy and a Superspin G3 as the Superspin is tacky and the ball won't bounce as high as with the Tenergy. You'll notice the speed once you start playing...especially when looping.  You'll see that the Superspin is "superfast" when you put a plastic protection sheet on the superspin and then bounce the ball on it.  Due to the lack of tackiness with the protection sheet on the ball will bounce higher than with the Tenergy. I would say that this rubber is just as fast as a heavily tuned or speed glued Sriver or Bryce, which are both about the same speed and MUCH faster than a Tenergy right out of the package. With its heavy tackiness the Superspin is both extremely spinny and "Superfast".  A very underrated rubber in my opinion.

So...I am keeping this rubber on my forehand for the next few days and/or weeks to see if I find anything "weird" about it.  I will be able to write a more informed review once I have gathered more experiences with it.

To summerize...the rubber IS truly very tacky and VERY fast and VERY spinny.  If there are indeed completely non-tacky superspin G3 hard rubber floating around out there, then that would indicate huge quality control issues...which would not bode well for the rubber. I, for one, would not want to get a different rubber, with different playing qualities every time I order a Superspin G3 hard. I doubt there are huge quality control issues though...I think people just have different perceptions about reality. WinkLOL  This rubber is definitely worth a test at the very least. If it does not show any "weirdness" during my testing in the next few days and weeks I might just keep it as my new forehand rubber.

Oh yeah...cut to a Timo Boll Spirit the Superspin G3 hard weighs about 46-47 grams, which is almost exactly the same as what JimT reported for his cut rubbers.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topspinschuss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2011 at 12:43pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic