Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XIOM Omega IV Asia and Pro review.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XIOM Omega IV Asia and Pro review.
    Posted: 01/21/2011 at 9:36pm
I'm trying these rubbers out, Pro on my BH and Asia on my FH. I just received the Pro sheet today and the Asia sheet is destined to arrive some time next week. The review will go here.

So far, just putting Pro on my blade:

Omega IV Pro (O-IV Pro) is noticeably heavier than Vega Pro. O-IV Pro seems faster too, based on bounce tests. Spin tests seem to suggest it will also be quite a bit spinnier than Vega Pro. We'll see. I'm excited but a little nervous. It seems possible that it will be a bit faster than what I "should" be playing with. But again... we'll see. Smile

I'll report back soon with an evaluation of both Asia and Pro and comparison between the two.

EDIT: FIRST PASS REVIEW

Okay, I had two hours to play with XIOM Omega IV Pro tonight. So here are my initial impressions (which are subject to change after more experience with the rubber).

Reviewer:
I have no formal rating. I estimate it to be in the 1500-1600 USATT range and I've been told by multiple higher level players that the estimate is spot on. I am an attacker primarily with my forehand, mixing loops, drives, and smashes. With my backhand I prefer to push, block, punch block, or drive, with the occasional opening loop against backspin. Mostly though, I try to use my BH to set up my FH. I've not yet taught myself how to flick very well with my BH or FH, though I occasionally pull it off Wink. I usually play within 2 to 3 meters of the table.

I tested this sheet of O-IV Pro on a Stiga Allround Evolution blade with LKT Red Diamond on my forehand. I put the sheet of O-IV Pro on my backhand. It is 2.0mm and black. My training partner this evening was this guy. (EDIT: Oops, that link didn't work. His name is Tianwei Chen and his rating is 1915 USATT.) For each domain in which I can evaluate this rubber, I will be using this ad hoc 5 point Likert scale:

1) Worthless.     2) Not very good.     3) Decent.     4) Very good.     5) Excellent.

Feel = Excellent:
Not much to say here... I just love the feel of this rubber. This is a very subjective factor so it doesn't make much sense going into it too much, but this rubber is very direct and stable in it's feel. I would call it medium-hard to perhaps hard (though not hard when compared to Chinese rubbers).

Spin serving/pushing = Very good:  I got plenty of spin on my serves, nothing "fantastic" but nothing lacking. When receiving my pushes, my training partner had frequent difficulty flicking and backhand looping them. My pushes stayed low, went long when I pushed long and stayed short when I pushed short. All in all, O-IV Pro appears to be a very controllable rubber in the "closed game", i.e., pushing, dropping the ball short, etc.

Service return = Excellent:  The hardness of the the top sheet makes the short game extremely manageable. It's not very susceptible to incoming spin either, despite the fact that I could create good spin when I wanted to, e.g., engaging the sponge with active pushing. My training partner tonight normally gives me hell with his serves. Tonight it was a breeze.

Blocking = Excellent: I'm tempted to go back and raise my Likert scale even higher, because this is where O-IV Pro shines. Blocking is friggin' awesome with this rubber. Although there is certainly some catapult effect with O-IV Pro, it is very manageable and seems to disappear when punch blocking. Laser-like accuracy. Also, the catapult effect is not as bad as my friend's T64, for example. It is very stable, has a nice direct feel, a loud and manly click Approve, is easy to direct, and is damn fast when the need arises. Seriously, I can't rave enough about this rubber for blocking, both passively and actively.

Driving = Very good: I would say "Excellent" based on O-IV Pro's performance on my backhand, but I never felt super comfortable with it on my forehand. This could be because I'm not used to Euro/Jpn rubbers on my forehand yet. I've been using hard, tacky rubbers for the last 6 months or so. But the rubber feels quite stable (especially on the BH), it's fast and fairly easy to use.

Looping = Very good: I don't loop much on my backhand, but when I did tonight I actually found it easier to do with O-IV Pro than with my previous Vega Europe, which is softer. Again, very stable, good pace, and good spin. Without being asked, my training partner noted that my backhand loops were coming off the table very fast. On my forehand, once again I found it to be a bit more uncomfortable. I'm scared of these Tensors with their catapult effect so I might have been a little too reticent when trying to loop on my FH with it. But still, there was plenty of pace, good spin, good feel, and good control. If we consider the spin of T05 to be "Excellent" then the spin of O-IV Pro is definitely "Very good". My training partner is contemplating purchasing some O-IV Pro to replace the Hammond-X on his backhand.

Overall, caveats, minutiae, et cetera: Although I've done it three times now Embarrassed, I think comparing this rubber to either Tenergy (05 or 64) is not a valid comparison. First and foremost, XIOM themselves claim that O-IV Pro is meant to replicate speed-glued Bryce... and not Tenergy. In this regard, I think they almost succeed, except I'd say O-IV Pro is more like a lightly boosted Bryce Speed than a speed-glued Bryce. In my opinion and experience, that is a very close comparison. In other words, I don't think O-IV Pro will be a likely replacement for Tenergy lovers who are moving away from it due to price increases. Indeed, O-IV Pro may not even have a lot of appeal to hardcore two winged loopers... but I do think it will have a huge place in the games of people like me (with respect to style, not skill Wink). That is, for those who do a lot of blocking and driving and basically use their BH as a tool to setup their FH this rubber excels. I also think that flat-hitters who enjoy Tensors would really like this rubber. Overall, I'd say this rubber succeeds regarding XIOM's intent. It is superior to Bryce Speed in almost every way and is more than $25 cheaper.

I should receive my sheet of Omega IV Asia some time this week. I will update this thread with a review of it and try to compare it to O-IV Pro.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Sponsored Links

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 1:40am
ANTON : congratulations!!  and it was fast too...LOL

i just pasted Black Omega 4 asia on my FH and would prolly be able to play with it on Sunday. i want to make a review but not post it immediately. rather i would post it the same day you post your review. 

that way this thread can have 2 reviews not biased by each other's perceptions. :) 

i don't think there is any thing 'too fast for my level' rubber. it may be 'too spinny for your level' rubber but never a too fast for my level rubber. good players always recommend to slow down on blade but not on rubber. you should be doing great.

i also got a acuda s2 for my BH.

hoever for me the actual review of an esn rubber is on third week of play... till 3rd week, i always like every esn rubber. 

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 3:21am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

ANTON : congratulations!!  and it was fast too...LOL

i just pasted Black Omega 4 asia on my FH and would prolly be able to play with it on Sunday. i want to make a review but not post it immediately. rather i would post it the same day you post your review. 

that way this thread can have 2 reviews not biased by each other's perceptions. :) 

i don't think there is any thing 'too fast for my level' rubber. it may be 'too spinny for your level' rubber but never a too fast for my level rubber. good players always recommend to slow down on blade but not on rubber. you should be doing great.

i also got a acuda s2 for my BH.

hoever for me the actual review of an esn rubber is on third week of play... till 3rd week, i always like every esn rubber.

Feel free to post your review here (or not, it's up to you), but I probably won't be able to play with this O-IV Pro until Tuesday and I don't know when I'll receive the O-IV Asia. So it may be a few days.

Your comment about "too fast" vs "too spinny" is interesting. I feel the opposite. I'd much prefer a very spinny rubber over a very fast one, based on my abilities. I can get speed out of anything pretty much so I like the option of extra control with slower rubbers. Conversely, my spin isn't always what I want so I prefer a rubber that will "help" me along in that regard.

Regarding my evaluation of the rubber, it will be an ongoing process for the first few weeks. I'm simply not good enough to fully exploit/understand all the characteristics of a rubber after a few hits, like some of the gents on this forum seem to be. It takes me a while to get to know the equipment, so I'll be occasionally updating.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 3:41am
Too spinny not, but too powerful, maybe. After one month practice with O4 Pro and Asia, I ended up with Mercury 2 37 degrees on both sides.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 7:14pm
ive tried the omega 4 on a carbon arylate blade. it was pretty fast but the spin is average for a tensor. it is an improvement over the vega pro. i just cant remember if it was the sponge or topsheet that made it hard one of the 2 components seems soft. i only tried hitting with it for 10 min
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

ive tried the omega 4 on a carbon arylate blade. it was pretty fast but the spin is average for a tensor. it is an improvement over the vega pro. i just cant remember if it was the sponge or topsheet that made it hard one of the 2 components seems soft. i only tried hitting with it for 10 min

Did you try Omega IV Asia or Pro?

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2011 at 8:52pm
I have an OIV Pro on a Virtuoso that I will try out on Tuesday....
#1 RL Balance -Bluefire M2 -Acuda S2
#2 RL Avalanche#2 -Bluefire M2 -Sigma Europe
#3 Primorac -Boost TP -Magna TC
korearulz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korearulz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 12:42am
it says that Asia is supposed to be harder than Pro, but I don't think so. Looking at the sponsorships in Korea atm, Many players are using Asia on their FH and BH. 
Official XIOM Distributor of New Zealand & Australia
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 12:47am
Originally posted by korearulz korearulz wrote:

it says that Asia is supposed to be harder than Pro, but I don't think so. Looking at the sponsorships in Korea atm, Many players are using Asia on their FH and BH. 

From what XIOM says, the Asia has a harder sponge than Pro but Asia also has a softer top sheet. Pro has a harder top sheet but softer sponge, which allegedly gives the two quite different playing characteristics.

Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 1:02am
Actually very difficult to differentiate for a U-1800 player like me. Probably some tiny dissonance here and there.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 1:23am
anton, oh sorry it was omega 4 pro
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 2:05am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Actually very difficult to differentiate for a U-1800 player like me. Probably some tiny dissonance here and there.

It will certainly be the same with me. That's why I had to use the qualifier "allegedly". Smile

So far, only bouncing the ball, etc, the Pro seems pretty fast. Lower dwell than even Red Diamond, which is a harder Chinese rubber. But Pro seems really spinny too. I might be able to test it out tomorrow. I must confess to having some excitement. Big smile

snake_eyes View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snake_eyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 2:34am
So you know someone is eventually going to ask this question I might as well bring it up now. How does these rubbers compare to the Tenergy rubbers? Big smile
"If there is no perfect moral law-giver, there is no moral law. If there is no moral law, there is no good. If there is no good, there is no evil." -Dr. Ravi Zacharias

Maze ALC Galaxy Moon 2.0 FH/BH
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 2:42am
Originally posted by snake_eyes snake_eyes wrote:

So you know someone is eventually going to ask this question I might as well bring it up now. How does these rubbers compare to the Tenergy rubbers? Big smile

I haven't tried the XIOM rubbers yet, and I haven't played with Tenergy in months (and I only used it for a few weeks when I did play with it). Also, I don't have a sheet right now to compare. Perhaps a friend will have some but there's a good chance I won't be able to make that comparison. Sorry. Embarrassed

However, in another forum I've heard a couple people say that Omega IV Pro is very comparable to Tenergy (not quite as good, but really close), such that they are replacing Tenergy 05 with the Omega IV Pro simply due to Tenergy's price. But only a couple people have said that and I don't know if it will be the same for everyone.

...and I really hope this doesn't turn into another Tenergy discussion/debate/argument thread. Wink

I know that's not you're intent, but such questions invite that topic and it's just so BOOOOORRRRING... Ermm

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 3:17am
is there any way to make a rubber "faster" other than to make it "springier"?

Edited by addoydude - 01/23/2011 at 3:18am
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
H3 NEO / 388-D1
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 3:34am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

is there any way to make a rubber "faster" other than to make it "springier"?

In my experience, yes. But it requires making a sponge so hard that only those with truly elite technique can use it.

For example, I was using the SST Pro Team (God Favor) rubber on my forehand for a while. Its sponge is made of a very elastic material but it's so dense that it requires a hard swing to penetrate the density. In short, it was just really hard, but not springy. Or, more accurately, in the short game and even the middle gears it wasn't at all springy. But, when I'd swing hard the rubber was as fast and springy as any Euro/Jpn rubber, producing shots of equal speed and even more spin than any Euro/Jpn rubber. But I had to swing harder than normal on almost every shot and, even more importantly, I had to have near perfect technique. Given that I don't, only about 30% of my shots went in. I only used that rubber for about a week, but it was a long week... Ouch Embarrassed Cry

Finally I decided that the amazing kill shots that occasionally landed just weren't worth it. Anyway, that's my long winded attempt to answer your question.

Zo k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zo k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2011 at 8:54am
OIV Pro is springier Bryce Speed for me,with almost indentical topsheet and softer sponge.Spin is not easy to generate.Close to dead feel in short game.Sound is like T05. OIV Pro have strong catapult effect(with click)when power is 80%+ of my FH shot.This is main difference between OIV and Tenergy,Bryce Speed... Catapult effect not suits my FH game well so I use it on BH.

Edited by Zo k - 01/23/2011 at 1:19pm
OSP Ultimate 3 CRW ST
Victas V>01 Limber max
Victas V>01 Limber 2.0
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 2:20am
I inserted my review. Scroll up to the first post.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2011 at 12:07pm
Just checked the tracking and the Omega IV Asia should arrive today. Smile

I'll be trying it out tomorrow and should have an initial review posted by tomorrow evening.

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 3:57pm
anton.. don't read it till your review is ready :)

Omega 4 Asia : day 1

Physical appearance and feel:

The black top sheet looked very matt, and the black sponge was imo not as porous as vega series. Nothing that stands out.

Summary after day one:

I played the top table yesterday, against all opponents in 2000 to 2300 range; who beat me 00% of the time. Were able to beat me the same with little more ralleys, over points. Omega 4 Asia gives a very cushion-y feel while looping.. and looping was almost impossible to miss. After Palio thors it was much more accurate in its response. However, I failed to penetrate enough with spin and speed, compared to say palio thors, tenergy 05, or acuda s1.

Loops:

Contrary to others and xiom description, I found it is fairly easy to loop … and fairly difficult to miss a loop. May be my 3-4 months training with Palio thors, which is not the easiest rubber to play with.

Loops, however were less penetrating, with slightly less speed than acuda s1 and thors, and much less spin than acuda s1 or thors, on a full swing. However on mid-range swing or slower shots, it had more spin than thors and comparable to acuda s1.

Short game (pushes):

As per claim, I found this to be better than all esn rubber… its even better than palio thors, which is a sticky tensor. Serve returns were very easy to handle as the rubber almost doesn’t react.

Blocks:

I found blocks damn easy with this hard sponge, less reactive topsheet rubber with fairly low throw. Sometimes I hit the ball to net… but that’s just first day adjustment after playing thors and acuda s1. for long.

Flips:

Okay… nothing special, not bad at all.

Opening loops:

I played against a short pip hardbat chopper, and all my loops were opening loops against hard backspin; and I had no problem at all. With every other correct loop I was getting surprised myself, but the returns surprised me too. With palio THors what was 4-6 loops, turned out to be a mammoth 8+ loop a point  .. great for spectators.. but bad for me… because by them I lose my concentration and miss-time it.

Hitting:

I found it good for low level hitting in a in a loop ralley or something… but not good for continuous hitting against a lobber. You get tired before he loses out, as the rubber doesn’t have that high a penetration.

Serves:

Of course I didn’t like the serves after playing thors and tenergy 05 and acuda s1.

Comparing with Palio thors:

Omega 4 Asia has more predictable throw angle than thors, but nowhere near thor’s viciousness, not even the speed.

Comparing with Acuda S1:

Just doesn’t have the speed or spin or the nice bouncy feel of acuda s1.  Doesn’t meen acuda s1 bouncy on short game.

Comparing with Tenergy 05:

Doesn’t compare. Low throw, less  power, less spin, less bounciness, less sensitivity to spin… everything is different from tenergy 05. 

vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Spin serving/pushing = Very good:  I...... O-IV Pro appears to be a very controllable rubber in the "closed game", i.e., pushing, dropping the ball short, etc.

Looping = Very good: ..... I actually found it easier to do with O-IV Pro than with my previous Vega Europe, which is softer. .....

only these 2 comments came as a surprise to me...otherwise pretty much expected of its design. 

so you think pro is good for opening bh loop with some decent respect... (not ending up a set-up for opponent)? 

....that's good news.. coupled with the punch blocking prowess.

vid1
Vid 2
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 9:13pm
I had a 2 hour practice with O-IV Pro tonight. I have it on the fh of my Virtuoso with Vega Europe on the bh.
Warm up felt great. Very controlled, good ball feeling. I got used to it very quickly, coming from my usual set-up (Sword Arylate Custom with Thors fh and 729-08 ES bh).
We did a lot of different drills and mini-games, from push only games to match serves with loops drills.
This rubber pairs really well with the Virtuoso. Not too fast, but able to generate a lot of spin and speed when you put the stroke to it.

Serves
Good spin, great feel. Not as spinny as Thors, but better feel.

Pushes, Short Game
I didn't get as many spin mis-reads from my partners, not as many of their pushes ending up in the net, but I could place the ball with more accuracy.

Counters, Blocks
Blocks were more controlled than Thors, but slower. I did not play against a strong looper, so I don't know how it blocks against strong spin. Counter hits were slower than Thors and about the same control.

Looping, Attacks
Throw is definitely lower than Thors, but not unplayable (I found Fortissimo unplayable low throw).
It was harder to loop strong underspin, so I had to compensate with more bat speed, which led to more edge balls.
When I hit a loop drive, the rubber clicked loud and the ball took off in a nice low arc. Medium speed brush loops were nicely controllable, but not very spinny.

I will have a head to head loop and block drill with my regular partner on Thursday. He will be able to tell me which are harder to block and I will switch rackets when he does his loop drill to get a better idea on blocking and spin sensitivity.

Overall
This is hard. The set-up played really nice and based on today, I am a bit torn which of my set-ups to continue to use. I played really well all night and had to make only a small adjustment to my fh and just about no adjustment to my bh. Decisions, decisions...Confused
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2011 at 9:56pm
Nice review, mmerkel. Thanks for posting. Thumbs Up

Do you think some of the speed differences you noticed between Pro and Thor's could have been due to the different blades they were on?

Just a thought...

nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 12:33am
Anton since you had them both on the same blade could you add some thoughts of how XIOM Omega IV Pro is compared against Red Diamond?, since Red Diamond is a rubber most people have tried and have something to reference against

vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 1:06am
Originally posted by nicefrog nicefrog wrote:

Anton since you had them both on the same blade could you add some thoughts of how XIOM Omega IV Pro is compared against Red Diamond?, since Red Diamond is a rubber most people have tried and have something to reference against
+1
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 1:31am
Just got back from practice. Don't have the energy for an in depth review and I'll pretty much say the same thing about XIOM Omega IV Asia as I did Pro, but with a few minor (but important) differences.

I'll just say a few things for now:

There is a 95% chance that O-IV Pro will stay on my backhand for a long time.
There is a 5% chance that O-IV Asia will stay on my forehand beyond next month. (I have to try to get some use out of it since I spent $50 on it Ermm.)

O-IV Asia is a nice rubber and a definite improvement over Vega Asia (and Vega Pro, for that matter). It feels more stable and direct. The control isn't bad. It's faster and spinnier. But the major problem is that they seem to have improved the speed by 15% and the spin by a much smaller percentage... maybe 7%? (These figures are entirely arbitrary and I only use them to convey a point.)

Serving was actually really nice with Asia--on one condition: You must engage the sponge. Serving with only the top sheet (like I can with Chinese rubbers) is disappointing. But with the sponge it's as good as any rubber I've ever used.

It's just that due to the higher speed/spin ratio, a lot of shots close to the table went long.

I will keep the rubber on until next month. A friend can get me a really good deal on Calibra LT. I tried his tonight (on a very fast blade... Stiga CC7) and even with that beast of a blade and the alleged beast that Calibra LT is, I still wasn't going long as often as with O-IV Asia. Calibra LT is every bit as fast, or faster, but it's spin is much, much better.

Comparing O-IV Asia to Red Diamond... Let's put it this way: I wish I hadn't accidentally destroyed my RD taking it off my blade to put on the Asia. Don't get me wrong, Asia is nice and probably great for the right person, but I don't think that person is me. RD had much better control. About the same spin (perhaps a little more than Asia, but not much) but it's also slower, which is the key. It's much easier to keep the ball on the table with RD and I'm not afraid to swing for the fences with it.

The sad thing is, after trying all these $50 rubbers, I'll likely end up sticking with RD on my forehand. But we'll see. The deal I can get right now on Calibra LT is too good to pass up so I figured I'd try it for a month or so. It really impressed me tonight.

emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 2:05am
good to see you are playing again...thanks for the review
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Nice review, mmerkel. Thanks for posting. Thumbs Up

Do you think some of the speed differences you noticed between Pro and Thor's could have been due to the different blades they were on?

Just a thought...

The different blades definitely had an influence on the perceived speed and speed difference, but I believe that the overall trend still holds true.....unless I am proven wrong on Thursday when I try them head to head....or if someone does a comparison on the same blade for that matter.
In any case, I believe to have found a rubber that harmonizes well with the Virtuoso due to its harder characteristics. I was unable to get a good handle on any soft fast tensor when  it was on the Virtuoso. The blade kick combined with the Tensor kick (which appears to come earlier in the soft ones) was too much for me to handle. The next few weeks will decide if this will become my first or second set-up.
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 9:14am
I maybe wrong but I don't think any of the current generation (5) tensors have the ridiculous bounce the previous generations had?. Seems like they finally have them sorted

mmerkel View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmerkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2011 at 9:29am
The last rubber I had on the Virtuoso was Hexer+ and it was OK until mid-speed. After that it was very inconsistent and for me not very controllable.
So you are saying the Xiom Omega IV are 5th generation? What are other 5th generation Tensors?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic