Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Palatinus OSP Expert ALL+ Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
SADASAS48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SADASAS48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 10:55am
Hello everyone!

Yesterday I bought an EXPERT also with OSP ... laughs! it has the following configuration:

EXPERT ALL + / RST / Bh Handle

I thought this setup because I like to play the base of loops & drives (Appelgren / Rosskopf). When I have to defend I turn away from the table and lift balls, or if you are near or at half distance I try to be cool and objective as J-O Waldner.
I usually play with a deeper footprint and with a strong hand wrist as Christophe Legout (but not close completely) than to let loose the racket in my hand ...

So I am in doubt as to the type of rubber to use and would like you to give me their opinions. Here in Brazil we like to use rubber 2.2 mm (MAX) and I like soft rubber as COPPA X3 (silver), Cornilleau Pilot Power, BTY Catapult, TIBHAR Genius Optimum Sound. I realized when the game with two rubber match (For example > COPPA X3) I gain strength in BH but lose speed in Fh ... what I gonna do? A Coppa X3 in Bh and COPPA X1 in the FH? and which thickness (2.0mm or MAX?). I am strongly considering using two rubber COPPA X2 (JO platin silver) MAX just like Mikael Appelgren do!

Thanks for your help!
BLADE: Peter Korbel FL(BTY)
RUBBERS: CORNILLEAU Pilot Power 2.2mm (BH)/ Pilot Advance 2.2mm(FH)
Sponsored Links

patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2012 at 5:33pm
i would reccomend the stiga calibra sound max.you wont loose any speed.its faster than coppa silver with better feeling and spinoff the table it is also good.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

OSP Expert has so much feel and life to it!!!   It is like playing with a blade that is ALIVE!  what a great feeling structure of wood. 

This is exactly how I feel about the OSP Expert
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 5:41pm
I've had the good fortune to get hold of a test Expert in the last week.  It is truely a wonderful blade, capable of just about anything.  The only thing I didn't like was the overall weight.  I'm using heavy rubbers, and with the large head size the entire setup is heavy.

So I've ordered one from OSP with the Virtuoso M head size, ELCON-FH. 

I had a Virtuoso M for a few months, and that was really, really good.  The Expert is all that and a bit more.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I've had the good fortune to get hold of a test Expert in the last week.  It is truely a wonderful blade, capable of just about anything.  The only thing I didn't like was the overall weight.  I'm using heavy rubbers, and with the large head size the entire setup is heavy.

I had a Virtuoso M for a few months, and that was really, really good.  The Expert is all that and a bit more.

you know what's strange Andy? I love the Expert, but I didn't care at all for your Virtuoso... maybe it was just the rubbers I put on it? (Red Diamond and Black Power if I remember correctly)

Ermm
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

you know what's strange Andy? I love the Expert, but I didn't care at all for your Virtuoso... maybe it was just the rubbers I put on it? (Red Diamond and Black Power if I remember correctly)

Ermm

No, I see where you are coming from.  In fact, while I really liked using the Virtuoso, it didn't suit me really which is why I moved it on.  It reminded me of the Acoustic I had a brief flirtation with (courtesy of Anton).  It had a really "smooth" feel to it.  Just couldn't quite work out what it was doing some of the time.  Maybe it's just where I was at the time, but I couldn't settle with it.

Now the Expert has a different feel to me.  It does feel lively, but not in an unpredictable way.  It just seems to fit the mood I have when playing.  If I'm just staying loose and calm, it does the same.  If I'm waving my arms around like a crazed madman, it turns up the volume as well.  I never felt it was too fast in the short game, or lacking punch from further back.  Some forehand smashes were dumped into the net, but that's probably my worst area so I blame myself.  But the ball placement was almost supernatural, and that's where my focus is at the moment.  So I got home, had a think, and hit the order button.

I may have changed things a bit by getting a smaller head size.  Will have to see.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2012 at 7:53pm
with the mentioned lkt rubbers, the virtuoso was giving me feedback which i disliked second only to the stiga allround classic wrb (Dead). i was on a wild ej tear at the time so i'll never know how i would have liked it with other rubbers
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2012 at 12:13pm
Would it be fair to say that Expert is more suited for away from the table play, and Virtuosos is better for close to the table play?
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2012 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Would it be fair to say that Expert is more suited for away from the table play, and Virtuosos is better for close to the table play?

Oooh, not sure. I think it's a personal preference, and I would put them the other way around.

Expert is definitely slower in the lower gears. Touch shots are easier. On bigger shots, expert flexes more to bring the speed up to almost the level of the Virtuoso. So expert had the wider dynamic range. It's your call if that suits you.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 8:01am

Oooh, not sure. I think it's a personal preference, and I would put them the other way around.

Expert is definitely slower in the lower gears. Touch shots are easier. On bigger shots, expert flexes more to bring the speed up to almost the level of the Virtuoso. So expert had the wider dynamic range. It's your call if that suits you.

From my experience, flex blade is good for full stroke, but does not play well close to the table.  I am very interested in the Expert for its control and feel (from what I read so far), but not sure if it fits my close to the table play.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 8:17am

From my experience, flex blade is good for full stroke, but does not play well close to the table.  I am very interested in the Expert for its control and feel (from what I read so far), but not sure if it fits my close to the table play.

imo, there is no disadvantage in the short game with the Expert. I've played with many blades in the ALL+ to OFF+ range (mostly OFF- to OFF+). I used to hate flexible blades.

The Expert is something unique. I would be surprised if you didn't like it in the short game. (unless you like effortless blazing blocks from an OFF+ thick and stiff blade... then you might be a little disappointed, i guess)

my 2 cents
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 9:13am

imo, there is no disadvantage in the short game with the Expert. I've played with many blades in the ALL+ to OFF+ range (mostly OFF- to OFF+). I used to hate flexible blades.

The Expert is something unique. I would be surprised if you didn't like it in the short game. (unless you like effortless blazing blocks from an OFF+ thick and stiff blade... then you might be a little disappointed, i guess)

my 2 cents

Sound like something I would like as well.  I am now leaning more toward the Expert then the Virtuoso Smile.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 9:16am

my 2 cents

Sound like something I would like as well.  I am now leaning more toward the Expert then the Virtuoso Smile.

I just leaned towards ordering a 2nd Expert, and did so Smile
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 9:59am
Your blade can and usually does dictate what kind of player you are, if you've been playing with a blade that doesn't perform well from long range, like a balsa or even a thick 7 ply you can find yourself playing from long range almost straight away with a blade than can play the long range game better like a flexy 5 ply.  I'm sure the_theologian is looping balls from further off the table than he ever has over the last few days.

I don't think the expert blocks as well as a stiff blade at the table. When you have a ball coming fast at you with enough power behind it to induce some flex into the expert the resulting shot can be a bit off target because of the large amount of dwell the blade makes even on those passive shots. On the other hand you can do more with that ball than just block it back, you have more options to cover the ball and add a little topspin, slow the ball down, add some side spin etc. the_theologian's expert is a very good looking example of an expert by the way, best one I've seen, if I could be sure of getting one as good as his I'd order a 3rd one. Something I really need to do one day as in the end both mine were sub standard, still great blades but not as good as they should have been
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 10:06am

my 2 cents

Your in quite the same situation many are in when trying to figure out if they should get the Expert or the Virtuoso- without having used either or only one of them. Let me give you just a little insight as to why i finally choose one over the other after using both. 

I liked the lower throw angle of the Virtuoso as it paired better for my play style and blended more closely to my game all around. I did not find any problems what so ever with short game at all in the Virtuoso.

I could of settled on the Expert if I did not have to change my wrist angle so much. I tended to send too many balls just off the end of the table because of the wrist angle difference needed that I was not used to. But it also may depend on the rubber you are going to use as well. Expert can play off the table very well I found.  It truly does have a very dynamic range of gears and is one of the most fun blades to play with.  

Good luck on your decision.

bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 10:11am
Shark II is great at taming the high throw on the backhand, that rubber is a very good match for the expert
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 10:21am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Your blade can and usually does dictate what kind of player you are, if you've been playing with a blade that doesn't perform well from long range, like a balsa or even a thick 7 ply you can find yourself playing from long range almost straight away with a blade than can play the long range game better like a flexy 5 ply.  I'm sure the_theologian is looping balls from further off the table than he ever has over the last few days.

I don't think the expert blocks as well as a stiff blade at the table. When you have a ball coming fast at you with enough power behind it to induce some flex into the expert the resulting shot can be a bit off target because of the large amount of dwell the blade makes even on those passive shots. On the other hand you can do more with that ball than just block it back, you have more options to cover the ball and add a little topspin, slow the ball down, add some side spin etc.

this is the first blade i've been comfortable with in getting aggressive with bh loops (finally!). and yes, fh loops are more dynamic than ever and further from the table than ever before

my 9-10-9 blocks better right off the table in some sense, but like you mentioned, with the expert i have the freedom to turn that block into something else

Edited by the_theologian - 03/20/2012 at 10:30am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 10:28am

I could of settled on the Expert if I did not have to change my wrist angle so much. I tended to send too many balls just off the end of the table because of the wrist angle difference needed that I was not used to. But it also may depend on the rubber you are going to use as well.

yes your history of blades could surely come into play here. i was really wondering if i'd care for the osp flared handle after discovering the comfortable bbc fl handle. but, i've found no trouble in adjusting to the expert in that regard. just my experience.

I'm also continually surprised how I can swing so hard on loops and yet the ball lands. this is with tg3neo. if i was using a considerably faster rubber, i might be having the same problem of balls going long

ha, again, if i'd have tried bluebucket's suggestion a long time ago, expert/tg3neo/sharkII, i'd have saved a lot of ej'ing. it's perfect for me

Edited by the_theologian - 03/20/2012 at 10:29am
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 10:31am

OSP Expert has so much feel and life to it!!!   It is like playing with a blade that is ALIVE!  what a great feeling structure of wood. 

More vivid than Ultimate with H2/H3 on it?! Interesting...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 10:45am

the_theologian's expert is a very good looking example of an expert by the way, best one I've seen, if I could be sure of getting one as good as his I'd order a 3rd one. Something I really need to do one day as in the end both mine were sub standard, still great blades but not as good as they should have been

here's some low-res pics using my webcam. once i'm back in the States I'll take better photos of this Expert and its coming twin

Edited by the_theologian - 03/20/2012 at 10:46am
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2012 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

More vivid than Ultimate with H2/H3 on it?! Interesting...

Imago......when I first tried the Expert test blade (SQ/ST normal larger head like 161x152 at 93g), I used 2.0mm Rakza regular on both sides.  That is the only blade that felt good or worked well with the regular 2.0 Rakza rubber on blades that I have ranging from ALL+ to OFF.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 11:40am
The OSP Expert ALL+ is teaching me to how properly use my backhand

just as

Vibram Five Fingers taught me how to run correctly

Never before have I hit topspin at mid-distance with my BH with such accuracy as I'm having with the Expert. What a joy this blade is.
szerszámos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote szerszámos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2012 at 5:49pm
This guy plays (black Butterfly dress) with "OSP Expert" FH / BH Tenergy 05 FX

mepper59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mepper59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 11:28am
hello,as i mentioned before i played an virtuoso, wich was to fast for me, despite the amazing feel. The gears of the expert are more supple for me.now i have played my newly born ExpertSmile last monday and it is a wonderful experience , I HAVE FOUND THE BLADE THAT FITS ME!!Wink Strange feeling when everything fits, the feel, the flex and enough power for me.I geared it up with a 3 year old tuned sriver 2.1, and an old bryce fx, also tuned.
After an evening of playing against two players and there it was, this is the blade i have been looking for .
SO after almost 35 years looking for the best blade (after my 1976 alser), i've come home again.
During play i constantly switched fh/bh because the bryce was not my cup of tea. I have ordered gewo airtec L 2.1for my fh, keep the sriver on the bh(still good enough).OLDSTYLE rock's!!!
My bh and service returns improved instantly, amazing because thats my weakness. I can do pretty much everything with my fh.Hitting,brushloop ,pushing, blocking, service ,everything went smooth, i even hit so hard against a waiting spectator that he yelled ouch.
I am happy now, playing an even better  blade than the old stiga, because of the more solid feel and extra power, and the wellbalanced head-feel.No wrb anymore.
End of my EJ era.LOL
btw, i want to post a foto, but i dont know howCry Anyone?
There's no way but your own experience way.
blade OSP Virtuoso / custom Alser grip
FH tenergy 05 1.9
BH rozena 1.9
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 12:16pm
Congrats to your end of EJing. Expert or Virtuoso - that seems to be the question for many OSP mates.
Originally posted by mepper59 mepper59 wrote:

btw, i want to post a foto, but i dont know howCry Anyone?

Easiest you can upload your image to the forum. Just choose the option "upload image" in post reply mode and choose the file(s) to upload. The forum software inserts the image(s) automatically to your post.

Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
mepper59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mepper59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 12:52pm
hi ZZZ, thank you.Smile I did upload it, but my foto is  to big(1.2mb) How can i make the file smaller,max 2kb?
FH tenergy 05 1.9
BH rozena 1.9
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 12:56pm

hi ZZZ, thank you.Smile I did upload it, but my foto is  to big(1.2mb) How can i make the file smaller,max 2kb?
Use Paint Brush, resize it to 800x600 (best for viewing), then save as jpg file.
zzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2012 at 1:14pm

I'm using Linux as OS, so I prefer Gimp. It is also available for Windows: http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

Use the option "Scale Image".
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-scale.html

BTW. The size per image is limited at 200kb (not 2kb).
Virtuoso+ :: Mark V :: Mark V
mepper59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mepper59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2012 at 5:04am
If its working, 
this is my EXPERT/FL/89 gr. AirtecL2.1black fh/SriverL red 2.1 bh.
"LONG MAY WE RUN"Tongue
FH tenergy 05 1.9
BH rozena 1.9
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2012 at 4:55am

the_theologian's expert is a very good looking example of an expert by the way, best one I've seen, if I could be sure of getting one as good as his I'd order a 3rd one. Something I really need to do one day as in the end both mine were sub standard, still great blades but not as good as they should have been

...once i'm back in the States I'll take better photos of this Expert...

figured it's time for some better pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic