Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Mazunov vs Boll ALC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mazunov vs Boll ALC
    Posted: 06/01/2011 at 6:32pm
I am curious about any thoughts on these two , regarding Speed , Control , Throw .
Why the Chinese players jumped to composites instead trying harder all-wood blades?  
Clipper
FH: XIOM Vega Asia , max
BH: Yasaka RAKZA7, 2.0
Sponsored Links

ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2011 at 6:59pm
these two blades are quite different.

the tb alc is more solid. it has better blocking performance. and it has more playing gears.

the mazunov is a looping wood blade to play well in mid distance game. 
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2011 at 6:46am
Chinese players at the higher levels tend to prefer blades that work well with Chinese rubbers; on the forehand.

As a result, the blades they've tested in order to gain more speed; have been composites or wooden blades with harder outer plies, like the Stiga Ebenholz and Rosewood blades.

In contrast, the Mazunov is a 6.9mm thick 1990's design, with a bigger 160 x 153 blade face; which gives it the power to be a good mid distance looping blade for European players, who are more likely to use Japanese or European rubbers.

As much as I like the Mazunov; I wouldn't consider it the kind of blade, that the top chinese players would consider; because they prefer a blade that allows them to attack the ball earlier if they can and the Mazunov is less suited for that kind of game, in my experience.

TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2011 at 8:40am
Throw angle:  mazunov's limba top ply makes it a mid to high throw blade, tbs is a low throw blade thanks to the koto outer ply...
Speed: mayyyybe alc is a bit faster. But its lighter so it doesnt offer more power. So its good close or mid distance loop game.  Mazunov is better for mid-far...
alc is not a rocket, its just a classic off blade with no vibration and low throw angle.
Mazunov feels heavier, more powerfull but faster? I'm not sure. Probably offers more dwell time.

If your strokes are long and you play mid-far distance than mazunov is good.
but if you play closer to the table and your strokes are short than alc is a better option...

Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

vali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2011 at 6:54pm
Yeap, you were right. With Mazunov is a little hard to play a short counter game, because of the high throw and the weight.
Seems that has a good dwell time , great for generate spin  and has a good control factor, but is a little sensitive to incoming spin if that could be said regarding a blade.   

I found it good for playing against choppers or loopers but difficult to play against flat hitters when you have to generate spin with a quick motion.
Clipper
FH: XIOM Vega Asia , max
BH: Yasaka RAKZA7, 2.0
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2011 at 1:18am
Originally posted by TSuBaSa TSuBaSa wrote:

Throw angle:  mazunov's limba top ply makes it a mid to high throw blade, tbs is a low throw blade thanks to the koto outer ply...

Is Planchonello outer ply actually. I find the blade very low throw. One of my favorite in the blocking and hitting game. Very nice blade, a bit heavy thow.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Zhaoyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zhaoyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2014 at 9:42am
Yes, I see that the thread is old.

I disagree with almost everything prior to the above post. I know there will be differences of opinion but some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

The Mazunov's outer plies are planchonella which is very hard. It is low "throw", low "dwell" and very rigid. It is also great for blocking and playing at the table. Crisp and accurate, if you want that.

It was my opinion that it brought out the very best from H2.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2014 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Zhaoyang Zhaoyang wrote:

Yes, I see that the thread is old.

I disagree with almost everything prior to the above post. I know there will be differences of opinion but some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

The Mazunov's outer plies are planchonella which is very hard. It is low "throw", low "dwell" and very rigid. It is also great for blocking and playing at the table. Crisp and accurate, if you want that.

It was my opinion that it brought out the very best from H2.
Shame on you for digging out old thread, and still have not answer the op original question Smile
Zhaoyang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zhaoyang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2014 at 12:28pm
I gave facts I actually have instead of making things up.

As long as the Mazunov is still on the market, and beyond, it is still topical.
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2014 at 6:33am
I tried ALC and Mazunov.
In my opinion, mazunov is better,almost in everything.
Mazunov has longer dwell time, more precise, better control, higher throw

Mazunov is awesome blade despite its hardness.

But its important choice suitable rubber.
Andro rasant doesnt suit on many blades, but mazunov with rasant is awesome.
Topspin is very good and very light playabe, good highthrow. Drive and blocks are very precise and easy to play.
Nasche View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nasche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2016 at 2:03am
Shame on me for digging out old thread this time, but I don't agree with the previous comments that this is a low throw blade neither that it lacks dwell time.

The blade is relatively stiff, but the planchonello outher ply is somewhat soft and gives a good feeling and decent dwell time.

I've tried Evolution MX-S without a lot of success on my Viscaria, a blade that is not dissimilar to TB ALC and it definitely throws a lot higher and feels softer on Mazunov. I've also putted a Bluefire M2 on this blade that I didn't enjoy on a YE and it feels better on Mazunov, but I had to adapt my stroke to the really high throw on my BH, way higher than M1 on YE or SPW.

By the way, MX-S felt a LOT better on this blade, higher throw, better touch and the mass of this blade compensate the lack of catapult effect from this rubber compared with MX-P or EL-P.

Edited by Nasche - 06/17/2016 at 2:55pm
Tibhar Stratus Powerwood
Tibhar Evolution MX-P BH/FH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic