FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Joola Phenix Rubber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola Phenix Rubber
    Posted: 01/31/2012 at 9:04pm
I have been looking for a non-ESN rubber with good speed and spin and more control and feel than Razka 7. On the advice of NextLevel, a member of this forum, I purchase Joola Phenix 2.0 Red from timtts.be for $38 (no VAT) and free shipping. Phenix is manufactured in Japan. 

Nothing special about the packaging and per instructions I let it air for 48 hours before gluing it to a Killerspin 7 ply (2 carbon-titanum) CQ blade. This blade is a big favorite in the club I play.

I used Tear Mender, a water based glue available at Ace Hardware in the U.S, for gluing and it worked very well. Tear Mender dries very quickly and it is easy to put a thin, smooth layer on both the blade and rubber. I used air conditioning sealant to apply the glue. (Tear mender easily comes off the blade and rubber if necessary and you can heat the glue on the rubber to make removal easier). 

While cutting the rubber with a blade, I noticed that the sponge was crumbly which is different from the Rakza rubber and Fortissimo that I am use to. I was a bit concerned because the rubber top sheet did not seem to be quite as good as Fortissimo which is manufactured in Germany (it is not ESN). 

Bouncing a ball on the rubber it felt very good. Very similar to Fortissimo with lots of control and feeling. It did not exhibit bounciness of Rakza 7. It was also lighter than Rakza 7, again similar to Fortissimo. So I was looking forward to taking it out for a spin.

Starting out with forehand and backhand blocking I right away felt in my element again. Nice click, nice speed, lots of control and feeling. I could start placing the  ball with good power on all angles with lots of assurance. Moving further back from the table I felt the same rubber assisted speed and spin that I get with Fortissimo. My guess is that it has a medium-soft top sheet and rubber as does Fortissimo as well as some tuning. It does not have the mid-court catapult of Razka 7 but it was more linear and predictable and I maintained full control of the ball while hitting, smashing and spinning. There is not getting use to this rubber. It was made to order. 

In general, I would recommend this rubber to anyone who is looking for more spin and propulsion than the classic rubbers but wants to retain the feeling and control of the classics. I am guessing there is some tuning to the rubber but the rubber laid flat and did not show any of the classic signs of a heavily tuned rubber. It is just very well made and while not a rubber that is often mentioned, I believe like Fortissimo it deserves a look by those who are seeking the kind of rubber that I have described.

Edited by richrf - 01/31/2012 at 9:53pm
Sponsored Links

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 10:35pm
I agree ... It is a great rubber !

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

Glad to hear there is another fan out there. Excellent rubbers should be rewarded!

I have a question. Are you able to comment on the fact that the sponge was crumbly when I cut it. Couldn't cut it with a blade so I used some scissors. Is this the nature of this rubber. The reason I ask is because the other rubbers I have used did not crumble as Phenix did. Thanks for any comments. 

P.S. Enjoyed your video. We have similar playing styles. Smile

Edited by richrf - 01/31/2012 at 11:02pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

Originally posted by melarimsa melarimsa wrote:

Glad to hear there is another fan out there. Excellent rubbers should be rewarded!

I have a question. Are you able to comment on the fact that the rubber was crumbly when I cut it. Couldn't cut it with a blade so I used some scissors. Is this the nature of this rubber. The reason I ask is because the other rubbers I have used did not crumble as Phenix did. Thanks for any comments. 

P.S. Enjoyed your video. We have similar playing styles. Smile

Glad to hear you liked it, richrf.  I did warn you about the crumbling, I believe - it's nothing that can't be solved with rubber cement, but it's an unfortunate part of the rubber.  But if one avoids the crumbling, which is largely an edge phenomenon and occurs when you hit the table, it keeps its tuning and power a long time.

And yes, scissors are far better than blades with this rubber and I think rubbers in general.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/31/2012 at 10:58pm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2012 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Glad to hear you liked it, richrf.  I did warn you about the crumbling, I believe - it's nothing that can't be solved with rubber cement, but it's an unfortunate part of the rubber.  But if one avoids the crumbling, which is largely an edge phenomenon and occurs when you hit the table, it keeps its tuning and power a long time.

And yes, scissors are far better than blades with this rubber and I think rubbers in general.

Hi there,

First I would like to thank you for this excellent recommendation. It really fits my style perfectly and probably saved me many, many hours and lots of money. I understand that Fortissimo may be in stock again soon but this is a rubber that I will surely keep using as long as they are making it. 

Thanks for verifying that the sponge has this crumbly attribute. It is nothing that bothers me and doesn't affect play at all. It is something I was just curious about.

Thanks again for your help. I owe you one! :-)

Rich

Edited by richrf - 01/31/2012 at 11:06pm
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 8:07am
This rubber is a flat hiiter's "dreams come true". But it lacks a little of the dwell for good, well arced looping.  I've moved to Rakza 7 from it and it was exactly what I wanted - more spin with less speed. 

Edited by vic#74 - 02/01/2012 at 8:08am
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 3:46pm

where could I get 1?

shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 3:50pm
megaspin, paddle palace
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by tsanyc tsanyc wrote:

where could I get 1?

Based upon a recommendation from a member of this forum, I purchased my sheet from timtts.bet. They seem to have the best prices and shipping was free. They are located in Belgium. 

I wrote to Joomla USA about the crumbly nature of the sponge and they confirmed that this is the nature of the sponge because of the way it is tuned. I do not know how durable it is but it seems to be fairly durable despite the crumbly nature. Here is the reply I received, just so you are fully aware of the nature of the sponge:

"The sponge is a bit more fragile due to the factory tuning.

When you cut with a blade, You need to cut it at a lower angle to decrease the friction from the blade to the rubber. One tip is to not use too much power and go through the rubber several times. Another possibility would be your blade is not sharp enough to cut the rubber like butter. "

Hope this helps.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 4:06pm
Why do you have to pay VAT, and why does it say no VAT??? Thanks
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Why do you have to pay VAT, and why does it say no VAT??? Thanks

On the site there are two prices. One with VAT (value added tax) and one without. Since I live in the U.S. I am paying the price without VAT. I just mentioned that because in another post there was some confusion about prices and VAT.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by vic#74 vic#74 wrote:

This rubber is a flat hiiter's "dreams come true". But it lacks a little of the dwell for good, well arced looping.  I've moved to Rakza 7 from it and it was exactly what I wanted - more spin with less speed. 

One could also replace flat hitter with "drive looper" which is closer to how richrf and myself would probably describe each other -  as much as we like to flat hit, we want enough spin to keep the ball on the table, that is all.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2012 at 9:19pm

One could also replace flat hitter with "drive looper" which is closer to how richrf and myself would probably describe each other -  as much as we like to flat hit, we want enough spin to keep the ball on the table, that is all.

Yes, a good way to put it. 
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 12:18am
Paddle Palace doesn't seem to have it. Anyone try Phenix 48, the new harder version?
BBC, SP, LP
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 12:28am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Paddle Palace doesn't seem to have it. Anyone try Phenix 48, the new harder version?

If you are looking for a U.S. company, Megaspin.net has it for the manufacturer's price of $59.95. Of course, you can get it for that price directly at joolausa.com.

I haven't tried Phenix 48 but I was told it doesn't have as much spin. 
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 12:46am
any idea on it's weight in 2.0mm?
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 1:04am
Originally posted by sunilid sunilid wrote:

any idea on it's weight in 2.0mm?

Sorry, I didn't bother weighing it before I put it on my blade. It is definitely a lighter rubber (you can check out tabletennisdb.com). 

I just sent an inquiry to their customer service, since I am also interested in this information. If I get a reply, I will post. 

Edited by richrf - 02/02/2012 at 1:10am
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 3:42am

When I do shots that I call flat  - I don't need spin, moreover I prefer forget about it (now we recall T05 and flat hitting with it that is awful). So, even when I say loopdrive  - it's a LOOP for me with respective stoke mechanics. It's an old discussion I don't mean to lift it up from the bottom of the forum. I can say that for loopdrive Phenix is great too. The trouble come when you deal with strong underspin balls. Simply not enough dwell.      
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 6:18am
If you use a scalpel and go over the rubber a few times you can cut any of the crumbly rubbers cleanly
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 6:42am
#vic74,

For me, all such problems are solved by the angle at which I approach the ball.  The benefit of Phenix is that the stroke just has to be shortened.

Edited by NextLevel - 02/02/2012 at 6:43am
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 9:50am
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

If you use a scalpel and go over the rubber a few times you can cut any of the crumbly rubbers cleanly

Thanks for the hint. Is there a video of this technique somewhere? I cannot quite visualize it. 
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 9:57am

The trouble come when you deal with strong underspin balls. Simply not enough dwell.      

We don't have any choppers at the club I play at (everyone loops with Tenergy nowadays), so I can't really speak to the issue very well. I can only say that with pushes with backspin to the forehand I will normally let the ball drop a bit so that it loses some of the spin and then I use touch with a shorter stroke as NextLevel does. I don't try to loop the ball hard on these occasions since that would be a low probability shot for me. On the backhand, I can flick or loop because my wrist and arm are very relaxed and fast. 

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 1:38pm
In regards to weight, this is the answer I received from Joola customer support"

"It is around 25 grams. Max is around 30 grams"

Seems very light, but this is the answer I received. 

Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 1:46pm

In regards to weight, this is the answer I received from Joola customer support"

I agree...that seems very light.  Most "light" rubbers in 2.0mm are in the mid 30s to nearly 40g cut.

Edited by Brainstorm69 - 02/02/2012 at 1:46pm
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2012 at 7:04pm
It is lighter than anything else I have played with. 
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 1:10am

Wow!  That would be a really light rubber Smile
Thanks for the info, richrf.

Edited by sunilid - 02/03/2012 at 1:26am
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 8:32am
It is light but not as light as described above.Here is the mass.
Brand: Joola
Rubber ID/Model: Phenix
Thickness (max or in mm): Max
Colour: Red
Uncut Mass(g): 60g
Length(mm): 177
Width(mm):  168
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Yeah, that probably equates to 40g or more cut, depending on the space you leave at the bottom of your blade above the end of the handle.

Edited by Brainstorm69 - 02/03/2012 at 3:46pm
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Thanks for the correction. The numbers seemed too light. I wonder how Joola customer service was measuring it? 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2012 at 4:35pm
It's not unreasonable to have the 2.0mm closer to 30g (even if still above) on smaller blade.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic