FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Xiom Omega IV Asia (max, 2.0)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Xiom Omega IV Asia (max, 2.0)
    Posted: 02/04/2012 at 12:13pm
This rubber was graciously sent to me for review by TTXOnline - they have a really good selection of Galaxy and Xiom rubbers. Check them out!

Here is some initial data:

Weight: uncut 66 g, cut 47-48 g
Tackiness: none
Thickness: 2.2 mm (max)
Hardness: 37-38 deg (topsheet)/35-36 deg (sponge)

Now, pictures - you can see them all here

https://picasaweb.google.com/JimT2008/XiomOmegaIVAsia

A few of them are posted here

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 12:13pm
First impressions:

I put it on my new BBC Ultima Plus (which is a faster bouncier version of BBC Ultima, with a more pronounced carbon feel) and that was a mistake.

Together they create a not-so-controllable supercharged cannon, especially on the BH, so I abandoned that combo, took the rubber off and glued it on my regular BBC Ultima (thank goodness, I have two of them).

At first, I thought this was rather hard sponged rubber - and that's coming from me, who is used to playing with PME 47.5, Mars II 41 deg, and other rubbers with sponges usually from 39 degs and up.

However, after a couple of hours of practice the rubber settled down on the blade (glued on with Elmer's) and started playing better - that is a very common story, especially for hard-sponged rubbers.

I thought it to be a very good option to replace PME 47.5 which is what I was hunting for the last year or so.

More detailed impressions, strokes, s/s/c comparisons etc - after a few more days.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 12:14pm
More after 10 days:

I will be making comparisons with PME 47.5 and Mars II 41 deg (black). Also with T-05 when appropriate.

Speed: same speed as PME 47.5, and on average a pinch faster than Tenergy (by 5% maybe). Plays quite capably far from the table, has no problems with ball delivery even when you are 10 feet away.

Spin: a little better than PME Hard. A little less than Tenergy on slow and medium shots. But if you really engage the sponge, make the ball sink into it, it delivers good Tenergy-like spin, but you have to work for it. Less spin, of course, than good tacky rubbers. Serves are OK, on par with Mars 41.

Control: better than PME Hard. Also strokes are very crisp and clean, you know where the ball goes. However, on BH it seems too fast to be better than just OK. Perhaps on a slower blade ALL+ or OFF- type with 2.0 thickness it will play better on BH as well.

Tackiness: zero. This is after all a regular European tensor.

Sensitivity: better than with Tenergy. About same or a bit higher than PME (no surprise there) but sponge hardness certainly helps there.

Catapult: some. Again, hard sponge means there is less catapult unless you really hit the ball hard. Then you feel some of it, especially if you do that from afar and compare it with non-catapult rubber like Mars 41.

Throw angle: same as PME 47.5, which is pretty low.

Fragility: Topsheet looks quite good after ten days of play. We'll see later.

Longevity: again, that's yet an unknown. Will update...

Price: at 49 dollars this is a relatively pricey rubber. More expensive than Palio tensors (around 30 dollars) and much cheaper than Tenergy series (around 80 dollars).

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 1:08pm
on strokes:

Looping: better than PME Hard. However, I should say it is not better than Mars 41 on counterlooping, probably due to the longer trajectory of the ball. Oftentimes it seemed to me that I did the proper counterloop only to find the ball going long. Perhaps 2.0 mm thickness could cure that.

Driving: very good, at least as good as PME. No adjustments for me there.

Serving: somewhat better than with PME. Not better than Mars 41 because it feels like you need stronger impact for the ball to sink into the sponge on OmegaIVa than on Mars 41.

Push/slice/short game: very good control in short game. Not as spinny as Palio Blitz (my BH rubber) on slow balls - however short pushes still have some noticeable underspin.

Blocking/smash/flat game: very good. At least as good as PME and T-05. Probably better than Mars 41.

Chopping: it's more or less OK for an attacking player who has to resort to a chop once in a while.

My overall impression is this:

This rubber plays better for me than PME almost in all aspects. When compared to Mars 41 it has some noticeable advantages (crispness of the touch, sensitivity, flat game) and some disadvantages (counterlooping, spin in short game and in passive shots - although this last one just might be fixable with some practice).

Currently I prefer playing with it (vs my other racket with Mars 41) on my FH since I want to try and see if I am able to adjust my counterlooping technique to fit this rubber. Also I will be able to report on longevity/fragility in a week or two, we'll see what happens to the topsheet.

The one issue that prevents me from saying - this is the FH rubber for me - is the price. Mars 41 has the sticker at about 35% of Omega, and PME is half the price. If this rubber turns out to be sturdy enough with topsheet that lasts for at least 4 months (keeping at least 90% of its original properties) then I can live with having to pay $49 two-three times a year; otherwise it is back to Mars 41 for me. The other one is the looping - if I am able to readjust, good; but if Omega IVa will consistently behave less reliable in counterlooping than my Mars 41 then again it is quite likely I will switch back.

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 1:41pm
I play this rubber in 2.0mm thickness on my BH since october. It's pretty slow compared to insane nowadays tensor rubbers comming from ESN. I find it slower than tenergy or even Xtend HS. What amazes me the most with this rubber is the control it provides. It is not sensitive to incoming spin and still inputs a lot of it. It's hard but strangely enough feels tender due to its soft topsheet. It hasn't suffered from time and looks like new. Oddly, I can't play it on FH but can't play without it on BH.
Altoghether highly recommended.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

I play this rubber in 2.0mm thickness on my BH since october. It's pretty slow compared to insane nowadays tensor rubbers comming from ESN. I find it slower than tenergy or even Xtend HS. What amazes me the most with this rubber is the control it provides. It is not sensitive to incoming spin and still inputs a lot of it. It's hard but strangely enough feels tender due to its soft topsheet. It hasn't suffered from time and looks like new. Oddly, I can't play it on FH but can't play without it on BH.

I also play with this rubber in 2.0 thickness but on my forehand. It's a very fast rubber, I'm more a flat hitter and blocker though. For me it's the perfect tenergy replacement rubber.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 3:55pm
First of all, updated my third post - about specific strokes with Omega.

I do not see how you can think it slow. I doubt that changing 2.2 to 2.0 would result in considerable drop in speed. Omega IVa certainly feels to me as fast as PME and T-05.

As for the backhand game, I guess I should try it but certainly with 2.0 mm rubber - 2.2. mm on BH would be way too bouncy for me; perhaps even 2.0 will be but we'll see.

Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 5:08pm

Black, max on FH because i needed to replace Blitz. Ω VI Asia is a tiny bit slower with a tiny bit lower throw, and somewhat softer overall, softer topsheet for sure and i dont know about sponge. Generally i agree with your review, although you compare to a different rubber. 

The control is one step higher than Blitz, maybe due to softer topsheet and i would rate the hardness at 5-6, not hard but medium. 

Price is 38.45$ at http://ttnpp.com/shop/xiom-omega-4-iv-asia-black-carbosponge-p-520.html including shipping. Is it worth the 7 extra $ compared to Blitz? So far it does and i believe it will be a lot more durable.

I loved this rubber on FH and if i had to replace my BH too, i wouldnt need to search for another rubber.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Stoi Stoi wrote:

Black, max on FH because i needed to replace Blitz. Ω VI Asia is a tiny bit slower with a tiny bit lower throw, and somewhat softer overall, softer topsheet for sure and i dont know about sponge. Generally i agree with your review, although you compare to a different rubber. 

The control is one step higher than Blitz, maybe due to softer topsheet and i would rate the hardness at 5-6, not hard but medium. 

Well, Xiom itself is saying that Omega 4 Asia has the hardest sponge of all Omegas. You are right about the topsheet - it is softer than PME. Omega Pro has a harder topsheet but a slightly softer sponge and that is the rubber for faster better players - imho, I would be better off just playing PME on FH than Omega Pro.

Also Xiom says that O4A feels like speed-glued Mark V and having played with boosted Mark V (although a long time ago) I should say that is pretty close to the truth.

I didn't feel O4A being slower than Palio Blitz. I think it might seem that way since Blitz is a higher throw rubber, but I do not see difference in speed there.

There is a discernible click but not huge. In any case I do not really care much for how rubbers sound, I'd rather have them play well than make a lot of noise.

Also - thanks for the tip about price on ttnpp. MyTT.com also sells this rubber at $45.

sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 10:15pm
Can anyone comment on Omega Pro 4 Pro 2.0mm on BH ?
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2012 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by sunilid sunilid wrote:

Depends on what blade you put it, I am sure...

sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 12:06am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Originally posted by sunilid sunilid wrote:

Depends on what blade you put it, I am sure...

medium-stiff blade (eg. Violin) for example -- i'm concerned it might be too-hard a feel.
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 2:23am

First of all, updated my third post - about specific strokes with Omega.

I do not see how you can think it slow. I doubt that changing 2.2 to 2.0 would result in considerable drop in speed. Omega IVa certainly feels to me as fast as PME and T-05.

As for the backhand game, I guess I should try it but certainly with 2.0 mm rubber - 2.2. mm on BH would be way too bouncy for me; perhaps even 2.0 will be but we'll see.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't say it's slow, I said it is slower than new ESN product, without mentioning a specific name but I was thinking of Acuda S1 or Calibra LT or Tenzone. I also said it is slower than T64 and Yasaka Xtend HS.
I have 3 sheets of Omega IV asia 2.0mm. 1 has replaced Xtend Hs 1.8mm on my sotto voce and it is slower, the other side of the blade being xtend hs 2.0mm.
1 other sheet is coupled to T64 on my Borko. Again slower.
And Third is on my Musko with Gambler outlaw 1st gen. I'd say they are level in speed.
That said, it is not a slow rubber, I would say medium/fast. It provides a lot of security in shots and helps me to launch by big BH loop with full speed. Meanwhile I can block and push very safely. This is defenitively the best BH rubber I've had for ages.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2012 at 10:07am
The more I play with my Omega IV Asia, the more I like it. Initially I thought it was kind a hard, but only 10 min later I got used to the feeling and started to like it. Excellent dwell time for such a hard rubber. Rather medium throw, as JimT said engaging the sponge may deliver astonishing spin.Speed wise I find it very fast, faster than any of my Tenergy, so smashing with it is a breeze.  I think JimT described very well the properties of this rubber and if I was to make a review it wouldn't be much different, except that I've compared mine to T64,05 and ΩIV€
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2012 at 11:39am
Yesterday I conducted (almost deliberately) the following experiment. I have two identical BBC Ultima blades (both have Palio Blitz 2.2 on BH) with Mars 41 and Xiom Omega IV Asia on the FH respectively.

So I warmed up for 20 mins and then played two matches with my usual sparring partner (a very good 2100-2200 level player) - first one with O4A combo , and the second one with Mars 41 combo. That helped me to feel the differences right away - they are relatively subtle but still noticeable.

Here's my Pro/Con list

O4A is somewhat better:
- in kill loops
- in flat game and blocks
- smashes
- no-spin drives

Mars 41 is somewhat better:
- in opening loops
- counterlooping
- serves
- spinny pushes / slices
- chops / passive placement shots

Match results: lost the first one (O4A) 1-3, won the second one (M41) 3-1. But all games very close, half of them on deuce.

You make the conclusions...

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2012 at 12:04pm
Awesome review, thanks JimT!!!

Guys, any thoughts on omega IV asia vs. europe on backhand, in 2.0?  And can someone hopefully say a few words comparing omega IV (either asia or europe) vs acuda s3?   Thanks so much.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2012 at 8:36pm
Omega IV Asia and Euro  are harder than S3, (Elite is the softest). I would use the Euro as BH . It is easier to play
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2012 at 10:56pm
Thanks Kolev, do you think euro spins more compared to s3?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 10:29am
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Awesome review, thanks JimT!!!

Guys, any thoughts on omega IV asia vs. europe on backhand, in 2.0?  And can someone hopefully say a few words comparing omega IV (either asia or europe) vs acuda s3?   Thanks so much.

really depends on what you are used to... what are you using there now?

I suspect that Kolev is right and Asia on BH is suitable rather for players who don't do much spin on backhand but mostly play fast flat game.

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 11:17am
Ahh should have specified - I'm using acuda s3 now.  At some point I'll try yasaka pryde 30 as well, thanks!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 11:20am
Well, then it is European version for you, my friend!

Stoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 11:29am

... So I warmed up for 20 mins and then played two matches ...

Match results: lost the first one (O4A) 1-3, won the second one (M41) 3-1. But all games very close, half of them on deuce.

I make the conclusion that you were warmed up an extra 15-20 minutes in game condition and after that tried the other combination. I don't want to support one rubber over the other, some might think that cause i said i'm using ΩVIA, because i have nothing to gain whatsoever, but i think it isn't the best way to see the differences. After a good ~2 hours of warm-up the gap would be really small to consider it but 20 minutes don't really get you into the game.

Yehs me inglis saks bat a houp u anderstand wat a meen Big smile

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 12:00pm
I ordered it, 2.0, euro ;) thanks JimT + Kolev!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Stoi Stoi wrote:

... So I warmed up for 20 mins and then played two matches ...

I make the conclusion that you were warmed up an extra 15-20 minutes in game condition and after that tried the other combination. I don't want to support one rubber over the other, some might think that cause i said i'm using ΩVIA, because i have nothing to gain whatsoever, but i think it isn't the best way to see the differences. After a good ~2 hours of warm-up the gap would be really small to consider it but 20 minutes don't really get you into the game.

After two hours of warmup with that guy I would have been dead on my feet...

Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 4:15pm
I hav'nt used Omega 1V Asia yet. I have tried Omega 1V Europe and Pro. and find I prefer Vega Pro in max. How is the Asian compared to Vega Pro ? Does it have very good drell or is the ball gone as soon as it hits the rubber ? I find if a rubber dos'nt have some drell it's hard for me to add enough spin.
Shifter
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 4:19pm
drell = dwell, I presume?

For hard-sponged rubbers dwell time is usually lower, so it really depends on your technique. Sponge of Omega IV Asia is a little harder than Tenergy 05 with approx same hardness topsheet, so you can make your own conclusions here.

Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 4:33pm
Dwell, I guess I should of said, sucking in or holding like Tenergy 05 and Vega Pro does when you hit hard even tho they are concidered hard sponges.
Shifter
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

Dwell, I guess I should of said, sucking in or holding like Tenergy 05 and Vega Pro does when you hit hard even tho they are concidered hard sponges.

They are not really that hard - Butterfly rates them at 36. Even regular Sriver was harder, not to mention various Hurricanes, Blue Whales, Mars II 41, etc. Xjiom o4 Asia is also harder.

Anyways I would say that dwell time on O4A is a bit less than on T-05 - that's the price you pay for a much lower sensitivity to the incoming spin.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 5:50pm
By the way - I just got O4A in 2.0 mm (red); so will be testing it and reporting soon. Once again, thanks to TTXonline!

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2012 at 3:58pm
Played a bit with Omega IV Asia red 2.0 mm.

First, few pics:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic