Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Concave vs. Convex Loop (Which is which/better?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concave vs. Convex Loop (Which is which/better?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concave vs. Convex Loop (Which is which/better?)
    Posted: 06/21/2012 at 3:44am
      Not sure I'm following it when people use these terms.  I was wondering of someone could point me in the right direction.  
      I notice at least two distinct main looping styles of the CNT.  The first is an aggressive loop-drive, in which the hand starts low and ends very high with the blade vertical and very high above the head.  The crux of the elbow is often right in front of the nose on the follow-through (think Ma Long, Yan An, Fan Bo).  I consider this one to be "concave".  
      Then there is a loop which also starts low, but when the stroke terminates the blade ends more across the head horizontally, with the elbow pointed outwards, almost like they're throwing the ball rather than hitting it (think Wang Hao, Zhang Jike, Chen Qi).  Maybe this is more of a "pure-loop".  I consider this one to be the "convex".

Two distinct styles (Ma Long vs. Chen Qi):

It seems these two distinctive styles may have developed from two of the sports' and two China's most heralded players -- Kong Linghui and Liu Guoliang.  When I watch them in their video series -- "Excellent World Champions Teach You How To Play Table Tennis (16DVDs)", I noticed how different the two players' forehands were.  

Kong Linghui "whipping hand/wrist loop"--

Liu Guoliang "driving loop"--

I understand that Guoliang was more of a hitter, while Kong was a pure looper, but Guoliang's style (what I believe to be the "Concave-style FH") seems to be emerging as the more dominant top-spinning FH amongst today's CNT shakehanders, with its more open striking of the ball and elliptical path of the recovery arm.  
      Maybe someone could speak to this, explaining this for this for those of us who are a bit newer to the game.  Might spare from trying to mimic extinct or outgoing FH technique styles.  Thank you.  Smile

Edited by king_pong - 06/21/2012 at 3:44am
Sponsored Links

doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 3:49am
Sorry, but when I read "concave" vs "convex" loop, I am immediately terrified that "person" is back with haunting threads.....   Smile

All of you know who I meant......

Sorry King_Pong, for the irrelevant reply....

Edited by doraemon - 06/21/2012 at 3:50am
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 3:50am
I don't think many pros do any of these anymore. Closest thing is like Ma long swinging up, then on followthrough he closes the racket face.
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 5:30am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

I don't think many pros do any of these anymore. Closest thing is like Ma long swinging up, then on followthrough he closes the racket face.

Do "which" anymore?  Can you elaborate?  Thank you.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 6:32am
This is in fact a legit topic worth digging for.

The Japanese magazine 桌球王国 World Table Tennis has published articles regarding the differences in the loop stroke when playing tacky and grippy rubbers.

It is claimed that the grazing loop stroke is more suited for tacky rubbers, whereas the hitting loop stroke is suitable for high tension or tensor rubbers.

A picture of Wang Liqin pulling off a loopkill is even included.

Parts of those articles have been in wide circulation among various forums.
http://www.pingpang.info/bbs/dispbbs.asp?id=215087&authorid=83433&boardid=2
http://www.pingpang.info/bbs/TopicOther.asp?t=5&BoardID=235&id=201008
http://sundns.org/discuZ/viewthread.php?action=printable&tid=266525

Edited by zeio - 06/21/2012 at 6:33am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
popperlocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote popperlocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 6:43am
Depends on your equipment and physical attributes. The CNT members all use slightly different body mechanics. The only person that can answer your question is yourself. Try out both concave and convex and decide which one you like better. 
Some rubbers are great for concave looping and others for convex looping. So it depends what you're using too. 
As I was watching your example video, I feel it's a crime to classify the CNT members as convex or concave. I view it more complex than that, like walking. Every person walks a little different, because they have different: body weights, height, muscles, bone structure, training, influences, handicaps, injuries, abnormalities, personalities, mood, etc. 
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 10:44am
Isn't LGL short pip forhand? That would definitely change the stroke!!!
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 10:58am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

The Japanese magazine 桌球王国 World Table Tennis has published articles regarding the differences in the loop stroke when playing tacky and grippy rubbers.

It is claimed that the grazing loop stroke is more suited for tacky rubbers, whereas the hitting loop stroke is suitable for high tension or tensor rubbers.

That's great, but what do these threads say?  I saw in the last one that it appeared that they were addressing the issue of blade angle during the stroke (either closing or opening).  It appeared that they were implying that the closing-stroke made a lower trajectory, but I couldn't read the text.  Can you translate? Smile
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 11:20am
I think this will help a lot. Look at the section 14.

http://protabletennis.net/content/mechanics-table-tennis
Back to table tennis...
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 11:56am
I think the concave and convex trajectories occur naturally --- the more you swing forward and less upward, the more convex ("positive" arc in the article Leshxa referenced) your swing is; and the more you swing upward and less forward the more concave ("negative" arc) your swing is.

You probably already use the concave stroke when brush looping against underspin and the convex stroke when looping against topspin close to the table. 
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

I think this will help a lot. Look at the section 14.

http://protabletennis.net/content/mechanics-table-tennis

Thank you.  This is very informative.  The author definitely knows what he is talking about.  It is a little bit over my head, but I will read it more than once. 

I think I've trained in a FH stroke that follows the negative-arc trajectory, but have recently become aware that many powerful top pros' FHs follow a more positive-arc (Ma Long being the most outstanding).  I'm experimenting with that stroke trajectory now.  It seems to be a more powerful FH, with the additional benefit of recovering to a more neutral position for a possible backhand should the opponent force the situation.  The article mentions the importance of stroke recovery, but does not specify which stroke arc is to be preferred for that.  I feel that the positive-arc gives the best advantage for a potential follow-up backhand. 

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 4:29pm

This seems to go against the perception that most Chinese players drive or hit through the ball more than their European counterparts when looping. Even a famous Chinese coach has stated the same thing.
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

This seems to go against the perception that most Chinese players drive or hit through the ball more than their European counterparts when looping. Even a famous Chinese coach has stated the same thing.

I think the statement is correct -- that it is easier to get a blistering brush-loop with tacky rubber, while bouncy-grippy rubber more easily facilitates a loop-drive -- but since it is possible to do either with either rubber, the CNT has discovered that driving with their harder-tackier rubber is, for some reason, better than the traditional brush-looping.  Perhaps it is the arc that it produces, outlined in the article that Lexsha posted above -- http://protabletennis.net/content/mechanics-table-tennis.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 8:38am
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

That's great, but what do these threads say?  I saw in the last one that it appeared that they were addressing the issue of blade angle during the stroke (either closing or opening).  It appeared that they were implying that the closing-stroke made a lower trajectory, but I couldn't read the text.  Can you translate? Smile

For a start, the first two threads are reviews done by a renowned reviewer from Taiwan under the name of 桂花田.  He often cites material from that magazine to support his assertions.  While I find most of those insights informative, certain portrayals within those articles are exaggerated and hence not representative of what is really taking place in reality.  The picture in which the lady demonstrates the service motion where the ball literally rolls over the rubber from end to end is one such depiction, as opposed to this real-world example.

The last one is about how the thread starter feels the European stranglehold on the forehand loop stroke is ruined at the hands of the current crop of loopers, e.g. Boll, Maze etc.  He uses the tacky/grippy image to help illustrate that their having the blade face parallel with the endline of the table as the root cause of poor power and jerky transition, as opposed to the angled contact of the Chinese, when seen from the side.  Yet, the picture of Wang Liqin's loopkill clearly shows otherwise.  What the OP fails to take into account is the fact that different situations call for different strokes.  Shot placement, contact point, body stance and so on all have an effect on one's swing.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 10:24am
Quote Explosive speed is an inherited characteristic

Kind of eugenic/rasist statement.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

I think the statement is correct -- that it is easier to get a blistering brush-loop with tacky rubber, while bouncy-grippy rubber more easily facilitates a loop-drive -- but since it is possible to do either with either rubber, the CNT has discovered that driving with their harder-tackier rubber is, for some reason, better than the traditional brush-looping.  Perhaps it is the arc that it produces, outlined in the article that Lexsha posted above -- http://protabletennis.net/content/mechanics-table-tennis.

I can understand where racquetsforsale is coming from.  Liu Guozheng has been quoted for commenting on Chen Qi having more of a wrapping motion than other players, yet he happens to generate more power than would have been thought possible.

Edited by zeio - 06/22/2012 at 12:47pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 12:57pm
This is what I'm referring to: Wu Jing Ping on the FH; at the end of the article, he mentions that Chinese players tend to brush more because they use tacky rubbers, as opposed to their European counterparts who drive more with their grippy and elastic rubbers.

V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 1:37pm
I may be wrong but it seems to me that the the curve of the stroke, and the relatively closed or open paddle condition, is largely determined by where the ball is taken off the bounce. 

If you take the ball early, anywhere up to, and including, slightly after TOB (top of bounce) and the ball is above net height, I think it would be preferable to have "positive" arc loop stroke and emphasize a relatively closed paddle face. It also facilitates over the table looping. 

If the ball is taken much after TOB and below net height it would then be preferable to use the "negative" arc loop stroke with a more open paddle face. The arc of the ball as it descends requires a more vertical "lifting" action. Also, of course, when you are stroking underspin.

Of course each individuals adjustment is different.

Mechanics of Table Tennis

Examples-

Positive arc

Negative arc

Edited by V-Griper - 06/22/2012 at 2:16pm
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2012 at 6:51pm
Excellent point, excellent post, V-griper!  Thanks.  I think you're right.  Smile

Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

I may be wrong but it seems to me that the the curve of the stroke, and the relatively closed or open paddle condition, is largely determined by where the ball is taken off the bounce. 

If you take the ball early, anywhere up to, and including, slightly after TOB (top of bounce) and the ball is above net height, I think it would be preferable to have "positive" arc loop stroke and emphasize a relatively closed paddle face. It also facilitates over the table looping. 

If the ball is taken much after TOB and below net height it would then be preferable to use the "negative" arc loop stroke with a more open paddle face. The arc of the ball as it descends requires a more vertical "lifting" action. Also, of course, when you are stroking underspin.

Examples-

Positive arc

Negative arc

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 8:48am

This is what I'm referring to: Wu Jing Ping on the FH; at the end of the article, he mentions that Chinese players tend to brush more because they use tacky rubbers, as opposed to their European counterparts who drive more with their grippy and elastic rubbers.

Wu Jingping's article, at the time of writing(2005 as indicated by one source), did point out that the forehand loop of Chinese penholders lacked power, a trait common among players owing to the short-pips hitter style.  And so he had made it a first priority and had forced Wang Hao and Ma Lin to practice hitting harder.

The notion that the Chinese hit harder probably first took root a decade ago along with Wang Liqin's first claim of the WTTC title.  Duan Xiang(段翔), deputy director of R&D of the CTTA, uses the term "扭轉爆發鞭沖技術(Rotation-induced Explosion Whip-like [Forward"> Loop Technique, literally)" to separate Wang Liqin's forehand loop from the rest whom he describes as "加速制動擺沖技術(Acceleration-Braking Pendulum-like [Forward] Loop Technique)".  The latter is likely an extension to the term "加速制動(Acceleration-Braking)", first coined by Zhuang Zedong, who takes a minimalistic approach to stroke mechanics where great emphasis is placed on maximizing acceleration before contact and brakes to a halt as soon as the ball takes off to reduce the time of recovery.  According to Duan's words, what sets Wang Liqin apart is the unique[at that time] kinetic chain he uses to harness the rotational kinetic energy by coupling the arm, waist, crotch and so on.

Edited by zeio - 06/23/2012 at 8:48am
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 9:44am
There is no such thing as a convex or concave loop, if you have the spare time and muscles to make that shape movement when looping you are simply doing it wrong.
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

Examples-

Positive arc

Negative arc

wow thanx man, i really didnt understand what we were talking about here until i saw the illustration,  and i agree that the choice of loop depends on what ball is coming to you
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 1:21pm
For those who have chosen to jump to conclusions, I invite them to answer the following question.

Given two balls released from the top at the same time, which one reaches the bottom in the shortest time, Red or Green? Why?

Which_one_reaches_the_bottom_first_Red_or_Green
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 1:41pm
A famous English dude figured this out in 1696 :-)
V-Griper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V-Griper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 6:50pm

For those who have chosen to jump to conclusions, I invite them to answer the following question.

Given two balls released from the top at the same time, which one reaches the bottom in the shortest time, Red or Green? Why?

Sliding or rolling? Friction?

Off the cuff I would say green(if they are rolling, or sliding with no friction). Larger initial acceleration(linear and rotational) in the beginning and greater momentum and inertia at the end to maintain velocity. The green ball is accelerating/moving/rolling a lot faster.

You will have to explain the relevance. I don't get it. 

Edited by V-Griper - 06/23/2012 at 6:52pm
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

There is no such thing as a convex or concave loop, if you have the spare time and muscles to make that shape movement when looping you are simply doing it wrong.
I think it is impossible to avoid convex or concave loops because our arm rotate around sockets.  However, I I agree you are probably doing it wrong if you have much of a convex or concave loop.  If your timing isn't perfect the ball will go low or high if you paddle attitude is changing during the stroke.   I try to keep the attitude of my paddle constant during the time that impact can occur and my swing in a plane so that my stroke is not as timing dependent.    If I hit the ball a millisecond early or late it won't make any difference.

I find this thread amusing.  So those of you that argue one way or another,  how do you justify your statements?   How can you justify the potential errors due to the ball hitting a few millisecond earlier or latter?   What difference does a 0.1 degree difference in the paddle attitude make over 3 meters or more?

I also know that the ball doesn't care about the stroke leading up to and after impact.  Only the attitude and rate of change in attitude of the paddle make a difference as well as the stoke and rate of change in the stroke directions DURING the stroke make a difference.  

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 9:06pm

Good comparison. Red ball has shorter path to go to finish and has constant acelleration if friction is a non-factor. Green ball has a longer path, but achieves higher velocity before halfway point.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I also know that the ball doesn't care about the stroke leading up to and after impact.  Only the attitude and rate of change in attitude of the paddle make a difference as well as the stoke and rate of change in the stroke directions DURING the stroke make a difference.  

I understand what you are saying, I think...

But why then does followthrough make so much difference in consistency, power and placement of a stroke?

For example:
Takie a mid distance BH topspin, with the backswing from the hip, rotation from the leading shoulder, and uncoiling of the core while contacting the ball in front into a big followthrough that ends with the arm high, out to the right (assuming right handed)...

Why does the larger arc (relative to a smaller backswing and smaller followthrough) require less adjustment against incoming spin?

In other words, why do bigger mechanics seem to ignore incoming spin more than smaller mechanics?

Is it because there is a larger section of the arc where a "reasonably good shot" is possible?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
IllSonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IllSonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 10:44pm
I gotta say, as a rookie player, this is the most interesting thread I ever read... Sorry for the off topic post... :)
Stiga Infinity VPS Legend
H3
Galaxy Moon
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2012 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by pnachtwey pnachtwey wrote:

I understand what you are saying, I think...

But why then does followthrough make so much difference in consistency, power and placement of a stroke?
Easy.  If the paddle is going to maintain the same attitude and speed during the stroke then you can't change anything until AFTER impact.  After impact it is best to get back to the ready position.

For example: 
Takie a mid distance BH topspin, with the backswing from the hip, rotation from the leading shoulder, and uncoiling of the core while contacting the ball in front into a big followthrough that ends with the arm high, out to the right (assuming right handed)...
Yes,  but that is due to the limitations on how fast you can decelerate the paddle AFTER the impact.

Why does the larger arc (relative to a smaller backswing and smaller followthrough) require less adjustment against incoming spin?
I am not sure what you mean.  I don't think the length of the arc has much do do with being less sensitive to the spin except for the fact it is easier to move the paddle forward faster with a bigger stroke.  It requires less acceleration and deceleration.    Spin causes the ball to move tangentially to the ball impact.   The impact itself causes the ball to 'reflect' off the paddle.   Assume the ball is hitting the paddle straight on or normal to the paddle and there is spin on it.   The ball will spin off to the side at a certain rate.   If if spins off to the side at the same rate it bounces back in the normal direction the ball will bounce off the paddle at an angle of 45 degrees.   Now what if the ball hits with the same spin but you hit the ball so the ball is returning 10 times faster in the normal direction.   Then the paddle angle will be only 5.7 degrees from normal.  ATAN(normal speed/tangential speed)  It is the same principle behind why faster paddles have lower 'throw angles', but it really depends on how fast you hit the ball.

In other words, why do bigger mechanics seem to ignore incoming spin more than smaller mechanics?
No it is simple vector trigonometry.   

Is it because there is a larger section of the arc where a "reasonably good shot" is possible?
No,  it is simply that hitting the ball faster means the spin has less effect on the angle of return.   If you could hit the ball infinitely fast the spin would have almost no effect on the return angle of the ball.   I think there are many that intuitively realize this when they say 'hit through spin'.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic