FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Short Pips or Inverted Defense Rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short Pips or Inverted Defense Rubber
    Posted: 02/20/2013 at 11:15am
I am not a defensive player, so I don't know any better. This makes it a good question for all the EJ's out there Wink

I coach several players now and I am looking for a defensive rubber. I want it to be still capable of attacking ( so probably no midium or long pips ), but with more control on defense. I was thinking short pips, but in reality it would be easier for me to adjust to inverted, but I guess a thin inverted rubber of some kind. I don't want to look for one, since I will only use it for coaching. I also don't want to spend a lot so basically:

Looking for defensive rubber that has good control on defense and still be capable of attacking. If you think a certain rubber is best for a specific type of a blade, please say so. Again, I have no experience in this, so I will be relying on gathered advice.

Thank you!
Back to table tennis...
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 11:21am

unless you're looking for antispin, reflectiod is a cheap option.  Slice is a defensive rubber that's spinny for chopping.

Are you meaning chopping, blocking, or slow, controlled topspin?

Edited by cole_ely - 02/20/2013 at 11:22am
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 11:24am
More for chopping and blocking, but also capable of control topspin.

Slice is by Donic? Sorry never used Reflectoid, could you provide a link?
Back to table tennis...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 11:26am
Try a thinner version of Reflectoid 1.5 or 1.8 tops.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 11:43am
Gambler Reflectoid (Zeropong.com), Donic Slice 40, Yasaka Mark V 1mm sponge.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 12:04pm
 Any ALL- blade with medium-slow rubber like BTY Tackiness Chop II or Tackiness Drive 1.5, Juic 999 Defense, Reflectoid (BH), Donic Slice will serve you well. Also there is a plethera of great Chinese defensive rubbers available. Thumbs Up
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

I am not a defensive player, so I don't know any better. This makes it a good question for all the EJ's out there WinkI coach several players now and I am looking for a defensive rubber. I want it to be still capable of attacking ( so probably no midium or long pips ), but with more control on defense. I was thinking short pips, but in reality it would be easier for me to adjust to inverted, but I guess a thin inverted rubber of some kind. I don't want to look for one, since I will only use it for coaching. I also don't want to spend a lot so basically:Looking for defensive rubber that has good control on defense and still be capable of attacking. If you think a certain rubber is best for a specific type of a blade, please say so. Again, I have no experience in this, so I will be relying on gathered advice.Thank you!

Hi Leshxa
I think from inverted rubbers you could choose
Tackiness chop II 1.2 thickness
or maybe friendship 729 1.2 for a cheaper alternative.
For short pips I would recommend
TSP super spinpips chop with very hard sponge (55 degree) 1.2 -1.5
or
TSP super spinpips chop II with softer sponge (25 degree) 1.2 - 1.5
or
TSP Spectol 1.2
I think you find the pips cheaper than the tackiness. but both inverted and pips would allow your pupils great control and good attacking options. Also unlike long pips they would be able to learn a varied defence using chop and float.
As you say you are not a defender i would advise that the basic chop learned should be the Float. or light chop, with the heavy chop used as a variation. your pupils should concentrate on sending the ball straight back to the largest part of the table with no curling away due to sidespin. To do this its critical that the head of the racket is stable at contact and pointing in the right direction, no matter what tangle the chopper's limbs might be in1
good luck
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 3:48pm
there aren't many options out there in chinese topsheets wtih thin sponge.  I custom make this a lot for people.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Definitely a top choice.

For short pips, regular Friendship 802 with 2.0mm extra soft sponge is hard to beat.

Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 4:05pm
Andro Backside 2.0 D 2.1 (not C might be too slow if you're too use to tension sponges)

Great at blocking top sheet feels tacky at first but shortly loses it but the tackiness is still there. There is enough "oofmh" in the sponge to still give a good smack when the opportunity presents itself.

I would say it's mid priced and inverted

Now for value Coles has the Air Panamera SPs, i have it with the max sponge and i chop well mid and a little further back but depending on your skills, you can also attack efficiently from the mid distance and closer. It's good for push attacks and blocking at the table.

There is still medium pip from Haifu, "Dolphin" which i'm tempted to try ...it should make a good BH rubber for chopping, blocking and attacking from mid to in distances...any short pip with practice on your forehand should work

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Definitely a top choice.

Agree.

If you want control, but still ability to generate spin, then Reflectoid is hard to beat, especially at that price.
The holy grail
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 4:59pm
Thank you all for advice!

@pingpongpaddy

This is actually rubber for me! I'm am teaching my students to play against defensive styles. Unfortunately they do not play too many other players, let alone defensive, so I have to create that environment for them :) So far, I've learned to use my offensive equipment, but they are getting better and I'm not happy with consistency of my returns. By shot 2-3 I lose control on my chops, so I want to get something to keep the ball in play longer. It all boils down to consistency and control. Who knows maybe I'll like this style in the long run... well, no not really. I like attacking too much!
Back to table tennis...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 5:18pm
I played/owned Moristo DF 1.8/2.0 back in the days and they are VERY VERY good looping rubbers that are super controllable. I highly recommend them for your purpose.

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 5:59pm
Leshxa, my personal opinion is that you are too good a player to play with Reflectoid. It's too limiting in its options.
Actually Tenergy 05 is an extremely good defensive rubber. I just played a defender tonight who creamed me 3-0. He used T05 max both sides on an innerforce blade (I don't know which). He seemed to be able to develop heavy backspin from even short little jabs
From my limited UK experience, there seems to be a trend towards using T05 as a defensive rubber. The advantage of course is that the attacking option is always there.
Maybe it's because our no.1 female uses T05 both sides as a defender.

Edited by Tinykin - 02/20/2013 at 6:02pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Leshxa, my personal opinion is that you are too good a player to play with Reflectoid. It's too limiting in its options.
Actually Tenergy 05 is an extremely good defensive rubber. I just played a defender tonight who creamed me 3-0. He used T05 max both sides on an innerforce blade (I don't know which). He seemed to be able to develop heavy backspin from even short little jabs
From my limited UK experience, there seems to be a trend towards using T05 as a defensive rubber. The advantage of course is that the attacking option is always there.
Maybe it's because our no.1 female uses T05 both sides as a defender.

+1.  I know a couple of players who talk about how esy it is to chop with T05 which they find paradoxical.  Even bogeyhunter mentioned this once.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
skyviloria View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyviloria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2013 at 9:19pm
As per experience, I suggest you go for Chinese rubbers (those tacky ones). The tackiness of these rubbers tend to slow down the ball making it more controllable for returns. It also gives heavy chops and top spins with proper strokes. I already played with hurricane II & III, skyline II & III, DHS PF4, Friendship 729 and they are all good in defense. For offense, I go only with hurricane and skyline though.

Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 3:44am

What level is Leshxa? Cause, I really don't understand which limitastions there would be with Reflectoid, unless he is an offensive player with at least a 2000+ rating. If so, then Reflectoid might be to slow, but if he intends to use it to play defensive against students, then I think it's an exellent rubber, cause it's very easy to control and it allows for spin manipulation along with the possibility to attack weak shots.

I actually considered using Reflectoid myself, when I decided to leave my anti behind, but decided against it, since my aim is to develop a more offensive game.

Another cheap, good option would be TopENERGY. Despite it's name (which to me is an obvious Tenergy rip-off) it's a really good rubber. It's on the slow side, but faster then Reflectoid, good spin and according to me, good control on defensive shots.
The holy grail
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 5:05am
I have played with Reflectoid for the last 2-3 years, with it gradually becoming my main BH rubber. It is not an easy rubber to control. Yes, in certain circumstances it has its advantages, that's why I use it. 
It is not slow. It's just that one has to have the right technique to exploit it. Those who find it slow are not applying the stroke properly, that's why I say that it's not easy to control.
But that's one of its advantages. One can play really slow balls, yet let rip when necessary.
I think that a 2000+ player does not need the characteristics of Reflectoid and he will give up too many other aspects of his game to play the Reflectoid way. But it's only my opinion.

Edited by Tinykin - 02/21/2013 at 5:07am
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 7:53am

I have played with Reflectoid for the last 2-3 years, with it gradually becoming my main BH rubber. It is not an easy rubber to control. Yes, in certain circumstances it has its advantages, that's why I use it. 
<span style="font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.3;">It is not slow. It's just that one has to have the right technique to exploit it. Those who find it slow are not applying the stroke properly, that's why I say that it's not easy to control.</span>
But that's one of its advantages. One can play really slow balls, yet let rip when necessary.
I think that a 2000+ player does not need the characteristics of Reflectoid and he will give up too many other aspects of his game to play the Reflectoid way. But it's only my opinion.

Looks as if we have very different experiences with the Reflectoid, cause according to me, it's one of the easiest inverted rubbers to control. Also, it is slow, very slow. I mean, sure, it can be used to hit outright winners with it, but so can any rubber, even a dead slow LP. The sponge used with reflectoid almost feels like the sponge of most anti rubbers, that is, more absorbing then bringing energy to the stroke. This is part of the reason why I liked it, cause the absorbing sponhe also absorbs spin (or, if it is that it bottoms out so easily) so you can block with it and create almost the same kind of effect as you get from anti.

Lexsha said he was going to use it as a defensive rubber against students, which is why Reflectoid was recommended. I don't think to many people here would recommend Reflectoid for a 2000+ offensive player.
The holy grail
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 9:03am
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will give Reflectoid a try although Moristo DF and Backside C or D ( not sure ) sound a bit more appealing to me, although for the price reflectoid will be a much better deal, I am sure. T05 is out of the question for me. Too expensive for my needs.
Back to table tennis...
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 9:03am
Perhaps I should post a video of my chopping after I get it :)
Back to table tennis...
bonggoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonggoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 9:28am

Larry Abass, currently rated 2362 plays with Reflectoid in his backhand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-PaXKB0nhY

Pay attention to the first point of the game.
Old-Man-Southpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 12:52pm
I disagree on the Reflectiod.  I had the 2.0 and it was super slow.

I'd suggest if you want something that will work thats not expensive get the Globe 999 with 1.5 or 1.8 mm sponge.  The 1.5 might be too slow for attacking unless you have a fast blade and fast arm.

I have some 1.5 thats been used 3 days if you want a red one cheap
--- Push/Chop or Attack ---

Blade: TT Piet Off/All Custom 5 ply

FH: Rakza 7

BH: DTec.S Long pips

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48168
chopchopslam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopchopslam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 1:13pm
Slow is what you want for defense. Reflectoid is good stuff. I have some in 1.5 sponge.
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Tenergy 80
National Team Pogo LP .6mm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 1:30pm
Well, I guess if you are good enough, which he might well be, you can teach them that even with slow rubber, once you get the person out of position, that if you hit the ball somewhere they can't get to, you can win the point.

He did say he wanted to be able to attack as well...

tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 1:30pm
You guys are arguing over fine details as if Leshxa is going to use this rubber in competition.  If I read this right, Leshxa is using Reflectoid for a training paddle for training students, not a game paddle. Reflectoid should be fine in any thickness but 1.5mm is a good compromise.  For drills something that is easy for Leshxa to use is best since he admitted he isn't a defensive player.
Reflectoid is fast enough when playing close to the table.
I think 802 1.5mm would have been good choice too. It wouldn't have the looping capability of Reflectoid but it wouldn't react to the incoming spin as much and be easier to control.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old-Man-Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 1:47pm
No, not arguing.  

Anyway, either one is a $15 solution at max, so if he tries one, and it doesn't work, he can try the other.

I would be guessing, but the scenario I envision is loop, chop, loop, chop, loop and then from about 6 or 8 ft away from the table, and he is planning to step up and do a surprise counterloop or smash, either down the line or cross court.

Just guessing...

Edited by Old-Man-Southpaw - 02/21/2013 at 1:48pm

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2013 at 3:06pm
I use Dawei 388c-1 1.8 soft sponge for coaching defense to my students. 

I know its a med pip,  but the SP rubbers are too 'normal'. The med pips helps them deal with the 'sink' effect.   With the 1.8 sponge, you can also attack most shots.

Edited by jt99sf - 02/21/2013 at 3:07pm
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic