Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Photino Light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smash_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photino Light
    Posted: 05/23/2013 at 11:50am
Hi - I am very interested in this new Butterfly blade and was wondering if anyone has played with it or had a chance to review yet.
I've of course done the "search" function, but apart from notes on its release, there doesn't seem to be any review. I'm most curious as to: weight/balance, feel/dwell, gears (if any), throw, and overall playing thoughts.
Would also love to hear of anyone tried Tenergy on it.
Thanks!

Here is a pic:

Blade: Hinoki Wood (now trying ZLF)
Rubbers: Tenergy 05 and 05FX
Sponsored Links

smash_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 12:50pm
anyone?
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 1:07pm
well...Silence (or hardly any response) speaks louder than words, if any, about this Photino Lite. IMHO, a light weighted Reg. Photino is good enough for me. There are quite a few owners of this PLite, jt99sf John is 1....but I don't see him jumping out of the crowd & say "Me, mE & ME" to give us any review.
Apart from this PLite being nice looking like orange-favour-ice-cream, too bad it's on paper so light & looks very sweet & delicate. I believe people just like to shelf it & look at it once in awhile....
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 4:16pm
one of the guys at my club uses normal Photino with T05 and t64. hes ranked 12 in the country.. he seems to have plenty of control with it and lots of weight to his loops
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by tiehwen tiehwen wrote:

well...Silence (or hardly any response) speaks louder than words, if any, about this Photino Lite. IMHO, a light weighted Reg. Photino is good enough for me. There are quite a few owners of this PLite, jt99sf John is 1....but I don't see him jumping out of the crowd & say "Me, mE & ME" to give us any review.
Apart from this PLite being nice looking like orange-favour-ice-cream, too bad it's on paper so light & looks very sweet & delicate. I believe people just like to shelf it & look at it once in awhile....

I haven't had enough table time with the Photino Light to have a comment.  I find the Photino and the Photino Light great on the FH for loops and flat hits.  I'm having trouble with the Photino's BH keeping the ball on the table when blocking against high powered attacks.  I believe the Photino Light (since its lighter and a little thinner) will be better with this, but time will tell.

I'll have more time this summer to test the Photino Light,  I do see great potential in that blade.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2013 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

[QUOTE=tiehwen]

I haven't had enough table time with the Photino Light to have a comment.  I find the Photino and the Photino Light great on the FH for loops and flat hits.  I'm having trouble with the Photino's BH keeping the ball on the table when blocking against high powered attacks.  I believe the Photino Light (since its lighter and a little thinner) will be better with this, but time will tell.

I'll have more time this summer to test the Photino Light,  I do see great potential in that blade.

No, wait, why would it be better for blocking against high powered attacks? 
If anything, this looks like a good blade for junior girls, or I don't understand much about blades...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2013 at 5:50pm
Well I have played the blade just twice but I liked it, mine was 73 g but it felt solid enough, a very good offensive blade for playing close to table, for sure it felt fine on BH blocks. I would say it is in my top 10 composite blades together with the TBS, Boll ZLF, the old Photino, Rutis, Liu Shiwen, Waldner Ultra Carbon, Intensity Carbon, Ishlion and Primorac Carbon.
My feedback:

http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47297&title=mg-feedback
smash_fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smash_fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2013 at 7:59am
Thanks for all the feedback... still undecided about it, but definitely sounds like it could have some promise. Would love to hear further reviews as they come in!
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2013 at 8:32am
Originally posted by mg mg wrote:

Well I have played the blade just twice but I liked it, mine was 73 g but it felt solid enough, a very good offensive blade for playing close to table, for sure it felt fine on BH blocks. I would say it is in my top 10 composite blades together with the TBS, Boll ZLF, the old Photino, Rutis, Liu Shiwen, Waldner Ultra Carbon, Intensity Carbon, Ishlion and Primorac Carbon.
What??? Top 10 composite out of how many???
mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2013 at 4:53am
out of about 40 I've tried. I'm still to try a couple of blades I find interesting so my top 10 may look a bit different in a year or two.
My feedback:

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2013 at 8:23am
Originally posted by mg mg wrote:

out of about 40 I've tried. I'm still to try a couple of blades I find interesting so my top 10 may look a bit different in a year or two.
So is it supposed to be good or bad blade when it barely makes your top 10? Smile
mg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2013 at 10:27am
Well I only try blades that I find promising because of their composition and I have had just a few disappointments :) Basically I don't like blades like Maze, Mizutani and Innerforce ZLC, I think carbon and limba is not the right combo for me, although Liu Shiwen played great, I just had a strange feeling with it, more or less the same with Arylate blades (Boll Spark, Burn Aratox RS). But the fact that I like sth doesn't make it a good blade for everybody and vice versa, it's about personal preferences.
My feedback:

dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 11:52am
A friend asked me about this one last night... so has anyone else played with it?  If so, what did you like/dislike about it?
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/2013 at 6:23pm
This blade is way slower and less powerful than the original Photino. The shape of the head is really weird and the balance that comes out of it very strange. Apart from that is has nice feel and good control. 
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/2013 at 4:20pm
That's good to know and thanks!  I saw where someone else compared it to a Keyshot; are there any other good blade comparisons out there? 
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2013 at 2:58am
Photino Light (hinoki-zylon) is quite close in playing characteristics with Keyshot Alpha (Hinoki-arylate). Both have much longer dwell-time then most hinoki-carbon blades and much more spin and control oriented. I prefer the feel and balance from Keyshot Alpha but it is not produced anymore.
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2013 at 3:40am
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

...I prefer the feel and balance from Keyshot Alpha but it is not produced anymore.

Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2013 at 4:13am
I know but that does not mean it is still produced. In a few months you won't have it anymore.
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2013 at 4:14am
just thought I'd let you know it's in stock in case you want to grab another
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2013 at 4:23am
thanks but this is not my style of blade. I prefer it to the Photino light to which it is close but it is way too slow for me.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2013 at 6:10am
Original photino can be found easily in range 80-90 grams,its very good with thick hinoki outer plys
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic