FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tibhar Rapid Carbon Light & Red Cypress Blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tibhar Rapid Carbon Light & Red Cypress Blades
    Posted: 11/05/2013 at 4:05am

Got to review these 2 new blades from Tibhar last week but never finished my write ups earlier because of tropical storm haiyan. These came out along with the white sword, furious and curious blades but I got them later than the 3. 

Tibhar Rapid Carbon Light

Weight: 80 grams
Speed: OFF+
Stiffness: Med. stiff
Plies: 7 (ayous outer plies 1st & 2nd, 3rd carbon, middle balsa)
Thickness: 7mm

The Rapid Carbon Light is an improvement over the older Rapid Carbon blade. Both have balsa middle cores but it seems the Rapid Carbon Light has an ayous top ply while the older Rapid carbon looks like it has a koto outer layer by comparing both. There are minute squarish wood pattern on the older rapid while the rapid light has an obvious ayous top ply. The 2nd layer is also ayous. Both rapid blades have the carbon layer on the 3rd layer before the thick balsa core. Putting the 2 rapid blades side by side, the rapid carbon light seems to have a bigger blade head. The rapid light is longer by approximately 0.5 cm. it is still a compact blade in terms of size and both blades have the same thickness.

When I used an FX-P and EL-P evolution on each side of the rapid light it was even better. I think the rapid light goes well with medium soft to hard tensor rubbers. I haven’t tried the MX-P evolution on the rapid light but it seems it is still a compatible pair because of the good feel of the blade. The rapid light doesn’t seem to vibrate much and looping or countering away from the table seems easy. The EL-P being a favorite evolution rubber of mine felt wonderful with the rapid light because the rubber and blade felt very easy to spin with. It didn’t feel too stiff like the triple carbon or the t-11. All in all an above average performance for this blade. 

Tibhar Red Cypress

Weight: 90 grams
Speed: OFF
Stiffness: Stiff
Plies: 7 
Thickness: 5.4-5.5mm

The Red Cypress is the thinnest blade among the 2013 blades released by tibhar. The 2 dark 3rd layers from the outer plies give an illusion that it looks like a thick blade but it is only 5.4-5.5mm thickness. I am not sure if these 2 dark layers are tanne or spruce layers. The outer layer is cypress which almost can be mistaken as hinoki but with bigger grains or lines compared to the hinoki outer layer of other known hinoki blades. The 2nd layer and center core looks like they are made of ayous layers.

Unlike the Rapid light, the Red Cypress felt a little better with the skyline 3. Although the Red Cypress is a stiff blade, using a hard Chinese rubber on it seems good but I still find it a bit slow. The 1q sound paired well with the red cypress. You can feel the power of the blade with every drive and this blade is good until middle distance. Although it is a stiff blade, it is a balanced blade that you can loop well with it at the same time counter drive or smash middle distance.

This blade is made for players who want stiff blades or blades that give a hard feeling but still can loop with it. The hard outer cypress plies give an extra kick to your shots, I would not consider this an all around blade but rather an offensive blade with above average control. Despite the red cypress being stiff, it still offers some feel for the ball upon impact. Actually this is my most favorite blade among the 2013 Tibhar blades. I like its good feel and response. It is a whacking machine when you glue  medium to medium hard rubbers at the same time it can still loop well. Maybe rubbers with medium or medium hard sponges with soft topsheets will pair well with the red cypress. I am greatly inclined with this blade among its batch of blade that came out of this year.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2013 at 9:46am
Nice looking blade. Why is there glue on the handle in the 5th pic? I see separation near the neck on the second to the last pic.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2013 at 10:02am
its a factory glue, when i received it its already there.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2013 at 10:12am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

its a factory glue, when i received it its already there.

Their quality used to be better than that. The Rapid Carbon was one of my favorite blades with the 38.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2013 at 10:16am
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

Nice looking blade. Why is there glue on the handle in the 5th pic? I see separation near the neck on the second to the last pic.

I think the neck was sanded, and at the angle it looks like ply separation.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2013 at 10:21am
Yogi - I think you should get your caliper micrometer checked Smile.  The Red Cypress looks much thicker than 5.5mm you measured.  Very nice looking blade though.  Can't wait for your review.
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2013 at 1:08pm
is there carbon in the red cypress?
Just ordered one from timstt
Timo Boll ZLC
Xiom Vega Japan
Tenergy 80 - FX
Rating: 2065
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2013 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by shay2be shay2be wrote:

is there carbon in the red cypress?
Just ordered one from timstt

You seemed to have been playing well with the Ludeack for many months. How come the move to Carbon?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2013 at 5:27pm
red cypress is an all wood blade. so far it looks promising. 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/05/2013 at 7:15pm
can anybody confirm to me if the old rapid carbon outer layers are koto? when i compared it to the newer one they have different outer plies. the older one has squarish patterns similar to a koto ply, this one im sure is ayous comparing it to my other ayous blades 

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2013 at 6:52pm
updated with review

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2013 at 3:41am
i forgot to mention that the speed of the red cypress is faster than the peter korbel, and same speed of a classic 7 ply limba blades but with a harder feel

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2013 at 9:13am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

i forgot to mention that the speed of the red cypress is faster than the peter korbel, and same speed of a classic 7 ply limba blades but with a harder feel

I thought Cypress top ply would make the blade soft, but I like blade with harder feel, so this is good news for me.  How hard is it compare to Koto, or Maple top play?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/2013 at 6:16pm
overall the blade felt stiffer than a koto blade, i thought maple was hard when i had a maplewood 7 but it had an nct coating so i am not sure. the red cypress was stiff it felt almost like a hinoki

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic