FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

NEXY TAMAR Series blades!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEXY TAMAR Series blades!!!
    Posted: 11/25/2013 at 3:55am

Nexy Tamar V blade

weight: 85 grams
plies: 5 (all hinoki)
thickness: approx 6.3mm
speed: off- to off
stiffness: stiff

Nexy released 3 all kiso hinoki blades they are the Tamar V, VII and IX which have 5, 7 and 9 plies depending on your preference for the blade's performance. I was given the Tamar V which bears the name of a young girl taken from the bible, a daughter of king david.

I was greatly overwhelmed by the quality of craftsmanship and work in constructing this blade. Even when looking at the Tamar V at a distance you can easily tell that it is a very beautiful blade. It may be somewhat similar to the Butterfly Kiso Hinoki V but when I got hold of the blade, the quality is equal if not better. The Tamar V is a quality work of art that I was hesitant to play with it because it was too good and too beautiful to play and I would rather put it in a case for decoration. 

The handle was very smooth as the handle is also made of kiso hinoki. almost every part of the blade was smoothen to a very fine finish. I would like to particularly point out that the handle was one of the major thing that attracted me to the blade because aside from being very smooth, the handle is one of the most comfortable handle made. If only they have made the neck of the handle extending to the wing of the blade smooth and a little bit rounded, the blade may have been perfect. The blade head surface is stiff just like other kiso hinoki blades.

I glued the Elpis and the tenzone 2.0mm to the Tamar V. Nexy gave me another Elpis this time it's the full production version and I think this is an improved one since it played differently from the sample they gave me months ago and was also better. I used an elmer's rubber cement as glue for the set up. I bounced the ball on the bare blade and it was an average bounce, not too high not too low indicating that the blade isn't too fast. When I was having fh-fh and bh-bh drills the blade performed faster than I was expecting. At first, I thought that its gonna be a slow blade basing on the bounce test but it was very lively and bouncy when I was hitting it with the Tenzone 2.0mm. With the Elpis, it wasn't slow also. It felt above average in speed. The Elpis is like an ALL+ rubber in speed.

The blade is close to the feel of the Bty Kiso Hinoki V but it felt somewhat stiffer and with a better quality and finish. In terms of speed, they are equal more. Comparing it to other blades, the Tamar V is slower than the YEO, Mazunov, Stratus Powerwood and it is faster than the Petr Korbel, Red Cypress. The Tamar V performs well even at mid-distance away from the table that I don't feel that much drop in terms of power on my shots when countering from the table. The control is above average for the blade. 

Looping is above average. I felt it is not suited best for looping but it can still loop well for a very stiff blade. However, this blade shines well when doing flat hits, counter hitting and smashes. The blade gives extra kicks when smashing near or mid-distance from the table. Active blockers will also love this blade because it blocks well. Its strongest trait would be it gives a long trajectory when hitting at mid-distance and the power doesn't diminish much. I don't recommend using super tacky rubbers with it, although it enables you to spin the ball better when hitting I felt like it offers less with that combo. I also used a neo skyline 3 that has been tuned for 5 layers of paraffin oil but didn't performed optimally. The Globe 999 National blue sponge however was different and was much better. Overall, a balanced blade that I didn't feel any head heaviness despite at one time I had a globe 999 national blue sponge and a tenzone on the other side.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2013 at 10:47am
What a beauty! Review! Review! Smile
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2013 at 11:23am

looks like a bty kiso hinoki V. Since I have a preference for Hinoki blades I'm interested in your review aswell.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2013 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

looks like a bty kiso hinoki V. Since I have a preference for Hinoki blades I'm interested in your review aswell.

Yeah, with "V" in the name I'm guessing that it's a 5-ply hinoki. Looking forward to some good Yogi action on this one.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2013 at 6:22pm
This is another amazingly-looking Nexy creation. I have a soft spot for natural wood and the smell of hinoki.

Besides, below is a close-up of the layer structure of my Kiso Hinoki V. I used to play with it, but at some point I felt the blade face was too small.
EDIT: Just to be clear: the picture above is of a Butterfly Kiso Hinoki V, not a Nexy Tamar V.

Edited by arg0 - 11/25/2013 at 6:23pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2013 at 6:38pm
BTW, there are some nice hi-res pictures of the Tamar series at tak9.com: Tamar V, Tamar VII, and Tamar IX. Can you guess the number of plies each blade has? Wink
BTW, below is a close-up of the plies of the Tamar V: as you can see the central ply is thinner than in Kiso Hinoki V, and the intermediate plies are thicker.

Edited by arg0 - 11/25/2013 at 6:39pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 6:12am
posted clearer pics. i will post the review tomorrow. i enjoyed this blade and i like it. it plays as good as it looks
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2013 at 7:01pm
updated with review

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2013 at 4:10am
yogi_bear,
great review!
I'm going to review the Tamar VII. If you'd like to change the title of the thread to "NEXY Tamar Series" or similar, I'll post it here.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Antiq View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2013 at 8:11am
Found some similiarity (number of hinoki plies and look) with Yinhe Kiso blade... They also launch recently... wonder whether they are related Ermm

I love cheap and good blades that suit my game...
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2013 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

yogi_bear,
great review!
I'm going to review the Tamar VII. If you'd like to change the title of the thread to "NEXY Tamar Series" or similar, I'll post it here.

arg0 ok, i hope i can review the 7 and 9 also

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2013 at 2:40am
About a week ago, to my surprise, I found a Nexy Tamar VII blade in my mail. Thanks Nexy for giving me the opportunity to review this all Hinoki blade.

First of all, a few pictures and notes about the construction.

(Images are double the size they are displayed in this post)

The build quality is superb, as we got used from Nexy, and the blade has the typical smell of Hinoki, which I so much love. As Hinoki tends to get stained rather quickly, I'd recommend to seal the whole blade, including the handle, if you want to preserve its pale colour. A very light coat, matte, water-based sealant, subsequently smoothed with 320 grain sandpaper, does not alter the surface feel and the playing characteristics.
I usually prefer ST handles to FL, but I must admit that this FL handle has a comfortable shape. It does not feel too thin in the narrow part and the handle butt does not interfere with wrist movements.

My Tamar VII blade weighs 84g, which is about in the middle of the whole available range of 73-96g (also depending on handle shape) which is available on tak9.com. The Tamar V and VII are now blade series is not yet listed on nexy.com, as well, while the Tamar IX is not.

I played a few times with this blade. In the past I've played with a Hinoki 1-ply blade (Nittaku Miyabi), a 3-ply (TSP Hinoki Pure) and a 5-ply (Butterfly Kiso Hinoki V). I had never played with a Hinoki 7-ply before.
From what I can recall from the other hinoki blades (I played with them quite some time ago):
Thickness: Kiso Hinoki V < Tamar VII < Hinoki Pure < Miyabi
Stiffness: Miyabi < Tamar VII < Kiso Hinoki V < Hinoki Pure
My impression is that not all Hinoki wood is the same and also the glueing process may have quite some influence on the overall stiffness of the blade.
Speed: Kiso Hinoki V < Tamar VII < Miyabi < Hinoki Pure
Here the stiffest is also the fastest, not so for the other blades.
Bounce: (lowest) Hinoki Pure < Tamar VII < Kiso Hinoki V (highest). Miyabi?
I remember the Kiso Hinoki V because I felt the bounce was uncomfortably high. Maybe I had the wrong rubbers on it, but I tend to use the same test rubbers on all my blades, so as to avoid any bias from the rubbers. I can't recall properly whether Miyabi was very bouncy or not.
Spin: Hinoki Pure < Tamar VII < Kiso Hinoki V. Miyabi?
A bit unsurprisingly, that's in reverse order of speed. Again, I can't recall properly the spinning properties of Miyabi (I set it away rather quickly because it was too thick for me and I was hitting the ball with the edges of the blade the whole time).
Control(*): Hinoki Pure < Kiso Hinoki V < Miyabi < Tamar VII
* This was tricky. Actually, this reflects my rating of control over a wide range of shots in training conditions. Miyabi and Hinoki Pure I never used in matches.

Comparison with Lissom (my usual blade).
While I was testing the Tamar VII, my coach told me he had never seen me playing that well before, and that according to him I should consider switching to the Tamar VII. The reason I didn't is that with the Tamar VII I'm getting less spin in my shots, w.r.t. Lissom and Violin. Since amount of spin is a vital part of my game, even more than extreme precision of placement, I decided not to switch for now. But sometimes I indeed miss that precision.
Another thing to be said is that the Tamar VII is faster and bouncier than the Lissom. I would rate the stiffness as being comparable, although I feel that the Tamar VII is a bit stiffer than Lissom. Lissom is a 7-ply blade as well, but it has the 3 central layers with the wood fibres running in parallel.

Summary
The construction of the Tamar VII is flawless, as usual with Nexy blades.
Among the Hinoki blades I played, Tamar VII is the one that most suited my allround, spin-oriented game. I get more control but less spin with Tamar VII than with Lissom, my main blade, so I'm not prepared to switch yet, although maybe I should.
I'd really be interested in knowing how the characteristics of the Tamar V and IX blades differ from the Tamar VII.

Edited by arg0 - 01/14/2014 at 7:26pm
Join the Nexy Clan!
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2014 at 7:26pm
Updated my review. See previous post.
Join the Nexy Clan!
GwaiLo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GwaiLo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2014 at 8:39pm
can anybody comment on the vibration and feeling in this blade?  My current blade the Photino is so empty, I can barely feel the ball so it makes it hard to control the ball.  How is the vibration in this blade?
Blade: Butterfly Photino

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Tenergy 64
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2014 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by GwaiLo GwaiLo wrote:

can anybody comment on the vibration and feeling in this blade?  My current blade the Photino is so empty, I can barely feel the ball so it makes it hard to control the ball.  How is the vibration in this blade?

Did you mean "these blades" or were you referring to any particular one of Tamar V or VII?
Anyway, unfortunately I cannot compare the Tamar VII it to the Photino, as I never played with one.
I had the impression that the Tamar VII gives enough vibration, without being annoying. But this is really highly subjective...

Join the Nexy Clan!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic