Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tenergy 64 vs Tenergy 80

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JonathanVN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy 64 vs Tenergy 80
    Posted: 11/28/2013 at 11:11pm
OK, so I currently am using both of these rubbers (Tenergy 64 on forehand and Tenergy 80 on backhand). From my personal opinion, the T-80 is a much more overall rubber, while the T-64 is more of a power-hitting rubber. I am a mid-range distance player, who loops a good many shots. With that being said, do you think I should change the rubber order and put T-80 on my forehand and T-64 on my backhand? Do any of you have experience with this suggested rubber set-up?
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2013 at 11:16pm
Probably it is better the way you have it now. But if you try it and it works better, then go for it.  Only way to know.
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 2:12am
Most players i know play the t80 on fh. but i suppose euro players with better bh play like you do?
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 2:56am
Why not 64 on both sides?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 5:48am
That's exactly my setup: T80 FH / T64 BH.

T80 is better for serves, spinnier on loops, and T64 gives more power on BH away from the table (FH power is easier to generate by yourself) while remaining easy to loop and block with.

No brainer for me.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Olio Olio wrote:

That's exactly my setup: T80 FH / T64 BH.

T80 is better for serves, spinnier on loops, and T64 gives more power on BH away from the table (FH power is easier to generate by yourself) while remaining easy to loop and block with.

No brainer for me.

Not that I am an expert on Tenergies... but based on my limited experience I fully agree with you.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Why not 64 on both sides?

Well, with the way I play, I don't generate a tremendous amount of spin with the 64. The 80 by far imparts much more spin than any other rubber that I have used, and I would thus hate to exclude it from my set-up altogether. My coach thought 64 on both sides would be a good move, but he leaned me a little bit more towards the 80, and I have really enjoyed it. To be honest, I'd much rather play 80 on both sides than 64. 

@Olio - Alright, this is exactly what I was looking for! I sense the same thing from these rubbers, and this is why I have been contemplating changing it. Pray tell what your rating is. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 2:49pm
I use T05 FH and T80 BH.  Sometimes I have turned the blade around and tried it the other way.  To tell the truth, it is not hugely different, just a slight preference for T80 on BH and 05 on FH.  I can definitely see why some people might like T80 on FH, but I really like the slightly higher arc I get with T05.  It is probably more a matter of being accustomed to it than anything else.  I have good power on my BH side either way, and for me I am a lot less picky about that side.  I like that I can keep the ball lower with T80 while still having good spin.  There are a bunch of other rubbers I could probably be happy with on the BH side.  I serve the same with any of them, but T80 does have especially nice feel in that aspect.  I still serve with the 05 side, though.  T64 is a bit too bouncy for either side of my blade (Viscaria, already pretty fast) so that I don't feel very comfortable when I am in getting pressured in a point.

This is one of those things where you can post all you want and get all kinds of input on a forum, but there is no substitute for seeing how it works for your strokes, level, and blade.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 4:55pm
With one word: is T80 closer to T05, or to T64?
I tried few times T80 on TB ALC and didn't find anything spectacular about it. I still wonder how it will play on my main blade(balsa carbon, but don't dare to pay 57€ just for a tryout
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 5:00pm

I tried on Maze and it felt closer to T64 to me.. I didn't like at all.

For me only T05 worth the extra money.

Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 5:04pm
I am very much used to the feeling of T64 and unfortunately enough I tend to compare every rubber to it....
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I use T05 FH and T80 BH. 
This is one of those things where you can post all you want and get all kinds of input on a forum, but there is no substitute for seeing how it works for your strokes, level, and blade.
Sure, we get your point... It is still very interesting to read peoples impressions and compare with our own. 
Also, when you write about equipment, for me(!) it is always spot on... Thumbs Up.

Edited by JacekGM - 11/29/2013 at 5:55pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 7:09pm
What is interesting from this is that there seems to be different features of a rubber that different players see as the "dominant" feature of the rubber.  For me T80 seems more like T05 than T64, and a bit deader than either of the latter.  I am not alone in this.  Before I actually tried it, just looking at the shape and distribution of the pips, I would have expected it to be much more like T64.

On the other hand, there are other players, and not just one, who feel things like AMonteiro, and see T80 as more like T64 than T05 in general.  The other thing is that AMonteiro and I use similar blades and both ultimately prefer T05 to either of the others for FH at least.  Maybe we prefer T05 for different reasons? 

That's why these days I almost never buy anything I haven't tried on someone else's blade.  Also, I have scaled back stuff that I buy that is not Tenergy.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 8:10pm
There is a pic/chart of the pip dimensions for each tenergy, and I cannot find it. Anyone remember what thread that's from?

frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 8:35pm
T05>1.7mm
T25>2.65mm
Wink 
T64>1.7mm
T80>1.7mm
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

What is interesting from this is that there seems to be different features of a rubber that different players see as the "dominant" feature of the rubber.  For me T80 seems more like T05 than T64, and a bit deader than either of the latter.  I am not alone in this.  Before I actually tried it, just looking at the shape and distribution of the pips, I would have expected it to be much more like T64.

On the other hand, there are other players, and not just one, who feel things like AMonteiro, and see T80 as more like T64 than T05 in general.  The other thing is that AMonteiro and I use similar blades and both ultimately prefer T05 to either of the others for FH at least.  Maybe we prefer T05 for different reasons? 

That's why these days I almost never buy anything I haven't tried on someone else's blade.  Also, I have scaled back stuff that I buy that is not Tenergy.

I agree. For me personally, T80 resembles T05 much more than 64 (I have played with all the Tenergy rubbers at some point). T64 seems to have a decent amount more power than the 80 does, while the 80 appears to have a very similar spin pattern compared to the 05. I may change it and practice with a reversed set-up at my club to see where I stand in this topic.
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

There is a pic/chart of the pip dimensions for each tenergy, and I cannot find it. Anyone remember what thread that's from?

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2013 at 10:33pm
According to the Butterfly catalog, T64 has longer pips and more space between them then T05, and T64 has same length as T80 and even more space between them.

That would predict that T80 would in every way play intermediately between T05 and T64, and hence a little faster and lower than T05.

It's not quite that simple in my experience (which now runs to about 8 changes of rubber where I put T80 black on one side, and T05 red on the other, all in 2.1 mm thickness).  On another thread Andy Smith used the term "muted" to describe how T80 felt relative to T05.  I think that is the right word.  Very slightly deader, whereas T64 is more lively and "bouncy".  It is that very property of T80 that is why I like it on BH, and I can immediately tell if by not paying attention I may have turned my racket around, for example if I am coaching someone or just blocking mindlessly.  Having said that, I think T80 plays a little lower than T05, but now quite as much as T64, so in that sense it is intermediate.  All three can give lots of spin. 

Haggis once took pictures of the of two sets of top sheets removed from the sponge and noted the shapes seemed a little different between 80 and 05, with respect to taper.  He thought that T80 had a wider base but then tapered faster and weas longer.    

In short, I don't believe necessarily that Butterfly is giving us everything there is to know about the differences in the various Tenergy versions in their catalog.  I think they came up with a simplified version useful for marketing.    
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2013 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by JonathanVN JonathanVN wrote:

@Olio - Alright, this is exactly what I was looking for! I sense the same thing from these rubbers, and this is why I have been contemplating changing it. Pray tell what your rating is. 

2000-2200, loops both wings.

Originally posted by JonathanVN JonathanVN wrote:

I agree. For me personally, T80 resembles T05 much more than 64 (I have played with all the Tenergy rubbers at some point). T64 seems to have a decent amount more power than the 80 does, while the 80 appears to have a very similar spin pattern compared to the 05. I may change it and practice with a reversed set-up at my club to see where I stand in this topic.

Sounds about right.
I do feel the T80 is closer to the T05 than to the T64, due to its increased feeling of hardness and much muted (that's quite appropriate) bounciness. And it's clearly spinnier.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2013 at 6:36pm
Yep.  It is amazing how important pip structure is.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2013 at 8:28pm
I also think T80 is closer to T05 than T64. For the short game the T80 is far less bouncy compared to T64, and a little less than T80. I think it can just as easily be used for FH or BH, but the higher level players I know prefer on BH, and go for T05 or T64 for forehand.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanVN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2013 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I also think T80 is closer to T05 than T64. For the short game the T80 is far less bouncy compared to T64, and a little less than T80. I think it can just as easily be used for FH or BH, but the higher level players I know prefer on BH, and go for T05 or T64 for forehand.

That is pretty much my current set-up in a nutshell. From this thread, I am getting conflicting answers which is what I expected as every person is entitled to their own opinion. Here's another question though. For close to the table drives, do you prefer T80 or T05? In this case, I feel like, on the table, T80 resembles and plays more like T60 than it does the T05. 
2015 USATT Ratings:
1823 (Jan)
1840 (Feb)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic