Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great rally @ Westchester Feb14 Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 10:53am
pimples, where do you get this inside information about the pros?
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Sponsored Links

100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 11:14am
I really NEED to get my butt down there and check out tournament overthere :)
Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 11:21am
Eugene is currently using T05 SP on forehand and backhand. He "primes" his forehand with 4 layers of DHS water-based glue. He boosts on his backhand only. He turned over his Viscaria(forehand side as backhand and vice versa) to use after playing Fan Zhendong at the Grand Final in Doha, citing that the idea flashed into his mind during training.

Edited by zeio - 02/28/2014 at 11:21am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

assi, from sponsored higher level players in Germany who receive rubbers that are different than the off-the shelve ones we buy. They also sometimes poractice with the pros or know them through their sponsors and their rubbers are another level up.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

assi, from sponsored higher level players in Germany who receive rubbers that are different than the off-the shelve ones we buy. They also sometimes poractice with the pros or know them through their sponsors and their rubbers are another level up.
I don't know - a while back we volunteered on one of the Killerspin events. My friend who is big Waldner fan was given the job to carry his bag to the arena. So he asked Waldner about his rubber (same argument was being made about pro's getting different ones) Waldner said no, it's the same and gave him the rubber off his racket. My friend having the same setup as Waldner compared the rubbers - they were exactly the same. 
Another, occasion an international event locally, one of the International players decided to sell all his rubbers after he finished playing - same as the ones we get to buy. The only difference was the serial number.
I was told the rubbers player receive are usually bulk packaged, they are not individually wrapped. Atleast, that's how this particular player received them.

Edited by jrscatman - 02/28/2014 at 12:48pm
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by schen schen wrote:

Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

That scoreboard.
I assume it's a normal monitor hooked up to a PC. Is the software generally available?

If I remember correctly, it is controlled via a tablet (ipad I think).  There is a small box (maybe a roku, or apple tv or something similar) connected to the TV that you can see on top.
That's all I know.

Will Shortz (the owner) told me that it was a custom app they had programmed and it's synced to the TV's wirelessly via Apple TV from an iPad.

Thanks to both of you. It gives me a couple of ideas.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

It was posted on one of the European forums that a forummer directly asked Dima Ovtcharov about his Tenergies and Dima had said that he used regular Tenergies but meticulously selected by weight and uniformity and feeling. He said something along the lines that he chooses approximately one out of ten by weight, by looking at it and by feeling (he meant feeling it with his fingers).

Which posed the question - if he (as elite players do) changes his rubbers after every day or two of practicing, that means he needs 7 rubbers per week. Well, let's say only 5. That means that every week he has to go through 50 brand new rubbers, open them all up, weigh them and probe them with his fingers. What do they do with the other 45 rubbers? The plastic envelopes are cut, rubbers are taken out of the package... I guess they buy so many for his club and he is given first choice. And maybe someone else is weighing them for him... Wink
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 3:14pm
Dima is a strong guy but he can't wear out a new sheet of tenergy in two days. Also he does not select one in ten. But I actually agree with you that this is the general process. They get hand picked rubbers, from the middle of the big sheet (say 4 by 4 feet), where material is most homogeneous. Butterfly already sends them hand picked rubbers (packaged in bulk like somebody said), so Dima does not have to throw out 9 out of 10 sheets. 
But this is not the same as boosting or tuning, and does not seem unfair to me. All this mambo jumbo about the magic rubbers that the pros use is .. exactly that - mambo jambo.
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Eugene is currently using T05 SP on forehand and backhand. He "primes" his forehand with 4 layers of DHS water-based glue. He boosts on his backhand only. He turned over his Viscaria(forehand side as backhand and vice versa) to use after playing Fan Zhendong at the Grand Final in Doha, citing that the idea flashed into his mind during training.

Where'd you get this info?

This is really interesting. 
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 3:43pm
Sorry, might help if I clicked the links you provided. 

Confused
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 3:51pm
FWIW, at Spin NYC, Timo Boll had mentioned to me that he chooses the heaviest T05 sheets available.

Regarding Dima, I'd love to believe he does not boost, but looking at this game, I find that unlikely:

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2014 at 4:13pm
I think I remember a while back Dima openly admitting that he boosts his rubbers. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic