Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviews for ZJK ALC+?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
glanden.zheng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reviews for ZJK ALC+?
    Posted: 05/08/2014 at 8:05pm
Has anyone used this? How does it play in general and would you be able to review it? 

I think I've seen a review thread for the Zhang Jike ALC plus on this forum, but I'm not able to find it as the search results ended up coming up with the older ZJK ALC blade. If anyone can also link me to a thread, that'll be great! 

Just for clarification, I'm talking about this one: http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?pid=b-zhang-jike-alc
Butterfly Viscaria FL

FH: Hurricane 3 Prov

BH: Tenergy 05
Sponsored Links

srale7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srale7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 9:50am
That is "regular and the only one" ZJK ALC Smile
Xiom Zetro Quad ST 90g
FH Xiom Omega4 Euro max
BH Xiom Vega Europe max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 10:43am
I will write a complete description in a week or two, need to use it a bit more.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I hear that the new ZJK ALC might be the best ALC blade ever made; no doubt Butterfly keeps improving on top of legendary blades like the TBS and the TB ALC. Koto outer FTW!!!
too lazy to research but is there a difference between TBS and TB ALC in material and play to justify the price difference? and if the ALC is clearly better why are they still making the TBS?
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 12:58pm
I've spent so much time looking around the web trying to figure out the differences between Viscaria, TBS, TB ALC, and JK ALC.  Other than different handle design and balance (JK ALC more headlight than previous ALCs), I can't definitively nail down differences.  And people who have used multiple versions of all the blades say that the difference between blades of the same model makes comparisons between models impossible.  Like you can find a JK ALC that plays more like your TBS than another TBS.  So it's all very confusing.  I would like to know, however, how Butterfly is making these blades.  Is their cost on a JK ALC the same as on a TBS?  If so why do they charge more?  If it costs more why does it cost more??  That might provide insight into differences in the blades.
srale7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srale7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

too lazy to research but is there a difference between TBS and TB ALC in material and play to justify the price difference? and if the ALC is clearly better why are they still making the TBS?

TBS and TB ALC are the 99% the same blade.

but let's look at it this way:

Great ALC blade like TBS/Maze=100€
Timo Boll brand+30€=Timo Boll ALC=130€
Zhang Jike brand+60€=ZJK ALC=160 €

I think that everything in marketing and money profit by bty. Viscaria is made 1997, and today(2014) is  example of great ALC blade.

Butterfly and today achieved certain progress in the quality/performance of the blade, but the progress is very small considering the price, which is constantly increasing.

But people love them, buy them, and it allows to constantly increase prices their blades/rubbersBig smile
Xiom Zetro Quad ST 90g
FH Xiom Omega4 Euro max
BH Xiom Vega Europe max
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by bschap bschap wrote:

I've spent so much time looking around the web trying to figure out the differences between Viscaria, TBS, TB ALC, and JK ALC.  Other than different handle design and balance (JK ALC more headlight than previous ALCs), I can't definitively nail down differences.  And people who have used multiple versions of all the blades say that the difference between blades of the same model makes comparisons between models impossible.  Like you can find a JK ALC that plays more like your TBS than another TBS.  So it's all very confusing.  I would like to know, however, how Butterfly is making these blades.  Is their cost on a JK ALC the same as on a TBS?  If so why do they charge more?  If it costs more why does it cost more??  That might provide insight into differences in the blades.

I have commented a lot on this issue and you have summarized it well--these blades are very similar-- but I would also say that the differences in handle design and weight balance (and also how far down the wings come) can be pretty significant for some people.  So distinct preferences that some people have for one or the other of these blades are not completely irrational.  I think people who end up really liking this new ZJK ALC blade will like it because of the handle.  The price differences are pretty bizarre, though.  I can't seen any justification for it.

The one other thing is that the top surface of TB-ALC and ZJK blades (newer designs) is treated in some way, maybe UV light, that makes it a bit shinier and harder than Viscaria or TBS.  This has some effect on the way these things play.

bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 7:18pm
I have yet to see a RAVE review of the ALC by some one who is actually using it.  And believe me, I have looked.  I check this forum entry regularly to see if a JK ALC user will post a review.  Where are the reviews???
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 7:42pm
I searched before and did not find any review also. BTW. I have one ST coming. Will post here how do I like it  VS TB ALC and IF ZLF. 

Originally posted by bschap bschap wrote:

I have yet to see a RAVE review of the ALC by some one who is actually using it.  And believe me, I have looked.  I check this forum entry regularly to see if a JK ALC user will post a review.  Where are the reviews???
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 7:44pm
Great.  I eagerly anticipate your review.
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 8:32pm
Make sure you weigh your blade before gluing rubbers.  Will be useful.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 8:37pm
No, nobody seems to have spent much time with this blade yet.
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 9:30pm
Some talks of the blade here but not much review
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=60005&title=zjk-alc-bty

I just bought one because of the May factor. Already comes with T64 and T80FX and weight is light at 178g. Even lighter than my TB ALC ST at 180g. I also have Viscaria and old tag TBS. They are both well over 190g. ZJK is crisp and neutral in every way (5.7mm). TB ALC got more flex (5.6mm). The other two are more solid and powerful in comparison (5.8mm). For feel alone I will pick either TB ALC or ZJK ALC. The extra cost is probably due to the fancy package.

I do wish ZJK will change his blade to this new model after his recent down time (even just the handle). The coming of new ball is the perfect time to switch.

I am a penholder so all these shakehand blades are just for collection and fun. I too would like to read some in depth review of this great blade. I am sure this will become hot item if ZJK use it himself.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2014 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by srale7 srale7 wrote:

Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

TBS and TB ALC are the 99% the same blade.

but let's look at it this way:

Great ALC blade like TBS/Maze=100€
Timo Boll brand+30€=Timo Boll ALC=130€
Zhang Jike brand+60€=ZJK ALC=160 €

I think that everything in marketing and money profit by bty. Viscaria is made 1997, and today(2014) is  example of great ALC blade.

Butterfly and today achieved certain progress in the quality/performance of the blade, but the progress is very small considering the price, which is constantly increasing.

But people love them, buy them, and it allows to constantly increase prices their blades/rubbersBig smile
yes, good thing I haven't gotten past my M.Maze yet.  Had the blade for over for 4 years and haven't played with it more than 3 times a year.  Think I might be ready to use it more.  Tried a Calibra Tour M on it today on the FH.  Counter loops beautifully but bottoms out too easily when I hit.  Will switch it to BH and get a harder sponge for the FH.  Hope I won't like it too much, else I might have to get more of their newer and (even more) overpriced blades. LOL.
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 3:55am
Someone forgot to take his medicines. LOL
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2014 at 8:27am
I have reviewed it somewhere before: I've owned a ZJK-ALC, many Viscarias, 2 TB-ALCs and a TBS.

IMO, it is the best ALC blade out there - feels like the Viscaria but with a much better blade balance (assuming you put on heavy rubbers) & a better handle.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 6:42pm
I received a ZJK ALC (new one) from megaspin, it is 92 g.  I specifically requested the heaviest one they had.  This may be an important part of why this blade plays the way it does, and the only other one I tried had very different rubbers from what I use and was a bit lighter (but was also very good from what I could tell).  Mine has T05 on FH and T80 on BH, like all of my Viscarias. 

A little history and context first.  I have tried multiple examples of every ALC blade Butterfly has ever made dating back to the original Keyshot (except for Innerforce ALC and the Reygundo).  My favorite blade is Viscaria, which I have used for quite a few years (2005 or so I seem to think?). I have owned a bunch of Viscarias from various eras, and currently own four, one that is about 2 years old, and the others all purchased within the last year.  Two previous Viscarias which were perfect were stolen a few years ago, and I spent a lot of money trying to find new ones that are as good as the ones that got taken out of my bag.  Of the four I currently own, one is much better than the others (the oldest of the three).  The other three that were bought more recently are not terrible, all Viscarias are good blades, the question is how good -- but the newer ones just don't have the same perfect feel.

Enter this ZJK ALC.  I was not entirely sure what to expect because I once owned a couple of the original ZJK (blue dragon) blades, and didn't like them at all.  They were too fast and had bad feel and weight balance was weird. Very disappointing.  But this new blade is awesome.  It is as good as the very best Viscarias I have ever played with, and better than any of the ones I have played with that were made in the last 12 months.  As some have noted, the flared handle on this model is slightly better (just a bit fatter or so it feels), and a little more weight is in the back (it is just a bit head light compared to most ALC blades).  Handle is a huge plus, incredibly comfortable.  Playing with the thing I notice a very soft feel, but plenty of effortless power, stiff but still some flex, an altogether awesome feel.  No problems with short game.

To make a long story short, my ZJK-ALC plays very much like a Viscaria, but not just any Viscaria.  It plays like the best Viscaria blades I have ever used because of the handle and weight distribution and feel. 

Maybe I got lucky on this one, after all no two things made of wood can be identical.  I have learned this from extensive experience with all sorts of Butterfly ALC blades.  But based on this one, it is really encouraging.  And obviously, it was constructed fairly recently since it is a new model.  So it is not impossible for Butterfly to make new ALC blades that feel great, and they still make some that are not ridiculously light.

The only issue is the price.  Why is it so much more expensive than Viscaria or TBS?  (160 USD vs 107).  I have no idea.  It is some sort of marketing strategy, but I don't claim to understand it.  My guess is that in time it will come down.  The last thing I would say is that this blade is much much better than the super ZLC that they charge 400 USD for.  A couple of people I know bought those.   
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I have reviewed it somewhere before: I've owned a ZJK-ALC, many Viscarias, 2 TB-ALCs and a TBS.

IMO, it is the best ALC blade out there - feels like the Viscaria but with a much better blade balance (assuming you put on heavy rubbers) & a better handle.

Sounds good! Would it be possible for you to dig it back up for us? Link or copy-paste here maybe? 
Butterfly Viscaria FL

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I received a ZJK ALC (new one) from megaspin, it is 92 g.  I specifically requested the heaviest one they had.  This may be an important part of why this blade plays the way it does, and the only other one I tried had very different rubbers from what I use and was a bit lighter (but was also very good from what I could tell).  Mine has T05 on FH and T80 on BH, like all of my Viscarias. 

A little history and context first.  I have tried multiple examples of every ALC blade Butterfly has ever made dating back to the original Keyshot (except for Innerforce ALC and the Reygundo).  My favorite blade is Viscaria, which I have used for quite a few years (2005 or so I seem to think?). I have owned a bunch of Viscarias from various eras, and currently own four, one that is about 2 years old, and the others all purchased within the last year.  Two previous Viscarias which were perfect were stolen a few years ago, and I spent a lot of money trying to find new ones that are as good as the ones that got taken out of my bag.  Of the four I currently own, one is much better than the others (the oldest of the three).  The other three that were bought more recently are not terrible, all Viscarias are good blades, the question is how good -- but the newer ones just don't have the same perfect feel.

Enter this ZJK ALC.  I was not entirely sure what to expect because I once owned a couple of the original ZJK (blue dragon) blades, and didn't like them at all.  They were too fast and had bad feel and weight balance was weird. Very disappointing.  But this new blade is awesome.  It is as good as the very best Viscarias I have ever played with, and better than any of the ones I have played with that were made in the last 12 months.  As some have noted, the flared handle on this model is slightly better (just a bit fatter or so it feels), and a little more weight is in the back (it is just a bit head light compared to most ALC blades).  Handle is a huge plus, incredibly comfortable.  Playing with the thing I notice a very soft feel, but plenty of effortless power, stiff but still some flex, an altogether awesome feel.  No problems with short game.

To make a long story short, my ZJK-ALC plays very much like a Viscaria, but not just any Viscaria.  It plays like the best Viscaria blades I have ever used because of the handle and weight distribution and feel. 

Maybe I got lucky on this one, after all no two things made of wood can be identical.  I have learned this from extensive experience with all sorts of Butterfly ALC blades.  But based on this one, it is really encouraging.  And obviously, it was constructed fairly recently since it is a new model.  So it is not impossible for Butterfly to make new ALC blades that feel great, and they still make some that are not ridiculously light.

The only issue is the price.  Why is it so much more expensive than Viscaria or TBS?  (160 USD vs 107).  I have no idea.  It is some sort of marketing strategy, but I don't claim to understand it.  My guess is that in time it will come down.  The last thing I would say is that this blade is much much better than the super ZLC that they charge 400 USD for.  A couple of people I know bought those.   

That sounds awesome! I'm currently assembling a ZJK ALC+ that will be fitted with Hurricane 3 and T64 for a friend, and just holding the handle is INCREDIBLY comfortable. The finishing is also perfect, better than any blade I've seen. Really made me curious about how it plays, as I still have to wait for some rubbers to arrive from some online orders, so I can't glue it yet. Your review makes it sound incredibly promising! Will definitely consider it for my next blade. Now just seeing if slevin can dig up his review and see how he feels about it.
Butterfly Viscaria FL

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by glanden.zheng glanden.zheng wrote:

Sounds good! Would it be possible for you to dig it back up for us? Link or copy-paste here maybe? 
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65196&PID=782011&title=zhang-zike-fl-or-alc#782011

slevin and baal are on the same page; that ZJK ALC might become soon what the MJ used to be a few years back: the absolute reference.

bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 8:34pm
what is the total weight of your JK ALC set up?  Blade was 92g you say?  Plus those heavy rubbers?  Must be around 196g!!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by glanden.zheng glanden.zheng wrote:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65196&PID=782011&title=zhang-zike-fl-or-alc#782011

slevin and baal are on the same page; that ZJK ALC might become soon what the MJ used to be a few years back: the absolute reference.

Definitely seems like it! Now I'm so tempted LOL
Butterfly Viscaria FL

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2014 at 9:51pm
I am guessing my blade with rubbers might be that heavy.  I have never weighed any of my blades with rubbers attached, but yes, it must be up right around there.  But it is still a bit head light, so the weight is not so noticeable.  Also, one of the rubber sheets I attached had a lot of glue build-up because I was too impatient to clean it all off.  So that adds a bit more.

One thing to keep in mind.  As they say, "your results may differ", meaning until I have played with more samples of these blades I cannot tell if I just got lucky on the one they shipped to me.  But I am a happy camper with this one, that is for sure.

With that said, slevin and I have had the same experience.  I can't disagree with anything he said.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2014 at 7:38am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I am guessing my blade with rubbers might be that heavy.  I have never weighed any of my blades with rubbers attached, but yes, it must be up right around there.  But it is still a bit head light, so the weight is not so noticeable.  Also, one of the rubber sheets I attached had a lot of glue build-up because I was too impatient to clean it all off.  So that adds a bit more.

One thing to keep in mind.  As they say, "your results may differ", meaning until I have played with more samples of these blades I cannot tell if I just got lucky on the one they shipped to me.  But I am a happy camper with this one, that is for sure.

With that said, slevin and I have had the same experience.  I can't disagree with anything he said.

Sounds like QC is quite good at the moment with the ZJK ALC+, possibly due to the blade being relatively new and part of "newer batches" although I definitely hope that this will continue. It'll still be a while, at least a good half year or so before I consider changing up my blade a little; hopefully, if I do buy it, it'll still be as good quality then! One thing I already really love about the blade is the handle and the finish, can't emphasise that one enough!
Butterfly Viscaria FL

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic