Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Multiple glue layers...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple glue layers...
    Posted: 05/13/2014 at 9:15pm
I am curious as to how prevalent the practice is of gluing more than one layer of glue on the sponge.  You know...putting one layer on...waiting for it to dry and then putting another...maybe a 3rd maybe a 4th....  I don't think there can be a decisive poll here, but I assume it is a minority of players that do this and that most people simply put one layer on sponge and one layer on blade.  So, guys, all you multiple "gluers" please weigh in and make your voice heard and please tell us how many glue layers you use.

also, what are the negatives of such a practice?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

glanden.zheng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glanden.zheng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2014 at 9:24pm
I do multiple only because I boost LOL But I have found that multiple layers of glue changes the feeling of the rubber (vibration, even power) as you're playing. I also find that too many layers can hinder feeling of the ball in general and as in softer shots you won't even be able to interact with the blade. I know this through personal experience and also because once someone demanded me to glue 6 layers of Finezip for some freak reason without booster and they couldn't play at all the next day, with the bat lacking both power and ball feeling. 

I also know that with regards to Tenergy, one layer of runnier glue such as Free Chack is usually too little as the sponge absorbs most of the glue and doesn't glue properly. I've had someone's Tenergy kind of half fall off the blade during a match after they peeled the edge against the table on a push.

But to answer you question, I use 4 layers on my Hurricane and 3 layers on my Tenergy. I use Finezip.
Butterfly Viscaria FL

FH: Hurricane 3 Prov

BH: Tenergy 05
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2014 at 9:25pm
I too am curious about this.

I've used tear mender recently and am getting more familiar it. I've seen how a really thick layer of that stuff could almost be like thickening the sponge. It's elastic somewhat.

Is that the idea of why someone would do that?

Edited by suds79 - 05/13/2014 at 9:26pm
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2014 at 9:41pm
I am experimenting with two layers on the sponge (one on blade).  No chance of this being a negative, right?
schen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2014 at 9:47pm
I actually put more layers on the blade and a single layer on the sponge depending how strong I need the bond.  

Normally I only need 2 layers on the blade and 1 on the sponge with Finezip, however sometimes when I go overboard with tuning I need a 3rd layer on the blade to keep the edges from peeling.  Tongue
Feedback | FOR SALE - updated Mar 19

Dynasty / H3 / H3
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2014 at 9:36am
I use TM and the Haifu W/B glue and some times I will use the Buterfly Free Chack. I only use the Free Chack on a sealed blade and not on the sponge,as it it is very hard to remove from the sponge but has very good adhesive when used on the blade for heavy tuned rubbers.I prefer the Haifu W/B glue over TM because it is a self leveling glue, but in multiple layers they both come off the sponge in one piece.   
Shifter
mikepong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikepong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2014 at 10:00am
Originally posted by bschap bschap wrote:

I am experimenting with two layers on the sponge (one on blade).  No chance of this being a negative, right?

same here, i also put 2 layers on sponge and 1 on blade. works fine for me
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

Dr.Cho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Cho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2014 at 10:02am
6 months ago i watched the revolution glue video where they put several layers on a rubber.
I know most of these water based glues are the same liquid latex and ammonia.

so i tried 4 layers on xiom vega europe.
It gave the rubber more spring and speed or tuning.

only problem is the process of glueing and waiting for the next layer.
not a bad use for older rubber you want to bring back to life.
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2014 at 10:10am
I recommend putting one full layer on rubber and one full layer on blade. 
Put a edge tape and leave the rubbers as they are till they die.

InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2014 at 10:45am
Keep an open mind, and experiment!!
Shifter
sonykurniawan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonykurniawan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2014 at 10:58am
I always put 2 layers on sponge and 1 layer on blade for stronger bonds.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2014 at 11:17am
Use Donic VarioClean - no need for multiple layers.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2014 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Use Donic VarioClean - no need for multiple layers.
How easy is it to remove VarioClean from sponge to remount rubber? Do you just re-glue over old glue? Never used the stuff,but I know people who did untill they seen how easy TM came off sponge.
Shifter
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2014 at 5:59pm
Butterfly recommend only a very thin layer on blade and rubber. They say, according to their own testing, thin is best. More layers just slow things down. This is with water-based glues of course.
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2014 at 9:00pm
ok, so you sacrifice speed...but what do you get?  More dwell?  More grip on the ball?
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2014 at 9:01pm
and speaking of Butterfly and glue...is there anybody out there that actually likes Free Chack?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic