Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nittaku Meister HolzSieben review courtesy of TT11
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nittaku Meister HolzSieben review courtesy of TT11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nittaku Meister HolzSieben review courtesy of TT11
    Posted: 07/05/2014 at 11:20pm
Nittaku Meister Holz Sieben Review
tested with DHS Hurricane 3 Neo Provincial, Butterfly Tenergy 64
my primary racket: Viscaria with H3N Provincial, Tenergy 64

This test model was a straight handle blade. It is shaped larger probably about the same width as the TB ALC (again, no worried about small, thin handles) and actually feels sort of rounded. It fits very well and easy to grip with a balanced weight like the ALC. Even the handle exhibits extremely high craftsmanship. It's like one of the custom-made blades where the manufacturer makes it their personal obligation to pick out choice woods and put together an awesome piece. The dark woods in the handle are impervious to sweat-stain imperfections.

Speed: medium fast, OFF/OFF-?. From the first touch, the Meister Holz Sieben is clearly designed for a controlled looping game. The speed is along the lines of the Korbel -> ALC/ZLF family, but not as quick as the composites.  It has elements reminiscent of the popular "instrument" blades from Nittaku, and its speed is similar to those as well, slightly faster than Acoustic. This is its speed on average, but when applying more force, it doesn't seem to be any bit deficient in speed. (I would guess slower outer plies, faster core?)
On the Butterfly scale, it's definitely an offensive blade, but questionably towards the OFF- range as it wasn't particularly fast but a bit more than the other OFF-. 

Feel: medium hard. This blade, as with most looping blades, is in the medium hardness range, and very similar to the TB ALC. Wood vibration is slightly better, more flex, longer dwell time, and heightened feedback compared to the dampened feel of an A/C composite. One of the best aspects of the Meister which made me take a second look at this blade in awe was that it has a magnified effect of the "magic grip" that the instrument blades have, but for the Meister, it's almost like the ball is stuck to the blade for an instant. The word that came to mind was "tacky".

Control: With its magical grip effect, control was a lot easier keeping the ball on the table. When looping, it caught balls easily without sacrificing speed. Blocking was a cinch. Hitting wasn't particular speedy but if you use it like Waldner, using the momentum from the opponent's incoming shot to hit a controlled return, it's more than enough, especially if the reason you're hitting is to punch through heavy spin, countering a powerful loop, or smashing. In fact, what makes it different from the instrument blades is that it also could play like a Waldner blade (great feel, easy to absorb and block short, not particularly fast, but powerful enough to loop or punch winners). 

When looping, the Meister may be a contender for the ultimate looper's blade. Usually, it's easier to hit long and low, or high and shorter, but when you try to combine to loop long and high, it gets more risky high-dropping it to the baseline. The first couple loops with the Meister, I thought the ball was going out, but it kept landing in! Carrying the ball with huge, long arcs, moreso than any other blade I've tried yet, I thought I was hitting 2900 level loops (though it's a lot different when you see it in person)...I felt like Ma Long. :)

Conclusion: The Meister Holz Sieben is another top-quality blade as evidenced from its craftsmanship and design from Nittaku. It's an improvement off the original instrument series, raising the speed while retaining the feel and touch of wood blades. 

This blade is primarily a control looping blade, as its medium speed isn't as suited to aggressive attack play. As such, it is best suited to close range to medium range off the table, that is, unless you rip hard like FZD. Like most top pros do with blades in this range, the Meister probably pairs best with euro/jap rubbers where the quick rebound and increased speed harmonize well with this blade's superior control and "magic grip".

Edited by kurokami - 07/05/2014 at 11:59pm
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Sponsored Links

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2014 at 8:03pm
Here's my review of the blade (courtesy of tabletennis11).

Appearance: Amazing initial quality. Great packaging. The handle feels great and is quite possibly the most comfortable ST handle I've used.
Dimensions: 157x150mm
Weight: 89.1gms
Blade thickness: 6.58mm
Composition: Unknown 7-ply all-wood. It has a spruce outers.
Bounce test: Slower than the TB-ALC & Ludeack Fleet

I tested the blade using T05 max on each side.

Overall viewpoint: This is one of the best all-wood blades available for the player for whom the price is not a constraint. It obviously has more feel than composite blades like the TB-ALC and is slightly slower. I'd rate it as a high OFF- with the TB-ALC being a low OFF. I think that a close comparison to this blade in feel would be the Nittaku Ludeack (except you replace the Limba outer with a soft spruce one - that feels a bit like hinoki). The dwell time is good and spin quality in loops is excellent. This feels like a typical 7-ply all-wood blade with a large sweet spot (for a all-wood blade). 

What I did not like about this blade: Other than that it costs $250, practically nothing.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2014 at 10:30pm
I have to agree almost entirely with kkami again; some of you will get the impression that I am just a fine, easily agreeable lad.
Speed: OFF. I know exactly why you have some doubts for OFF- , because in slow exchange it is really like OFF-. But when you press the ball deeper, there is a pronounced catapult effect. I was zinging curvy backhands 10 feet from the table in practice and everything was landing. I too looked well above 2000. 
Control: Amazing. Even though the blade creates different trajectory than TBS, control was nothing less. To me TBS has the best control in the entire TT blade world, exceptions none. Our 2300 coach hit a little with the blade and his only comment was 'very consistent'
Dwell time: low on low impact, med to med-high on high impact. This one made me scratch my head and I investigated carefully. The blade is not the easiest for opening banana BH loop. Not for brushers and spinners. But if you open your arm a little and make a good swing, then the blade really BITES! I had Rhyzm both sides, and you could hear great clicking sound on power loops. When you engage the dwell time of the blade, you get the turbo speed. 
The thing about catapult is.. i am usually very cautious with it, because it results in loss of control. Stiga Infinity Carbon - too much catapult... blade was great but when it kicks, i can't tell where its going. But this catapult is kind of intuitive and predictable.
Appearance: drop dead gorgeous. Even if people told you it looks nice, when you first see it you will still be surprised how pretty it is. I like it better even that the best Ross Leidy work.. it has some nice details that are only doable with machines that Ross Leidy doesn't have. 
Feel: Lively, solid enough. It is SOOO Pleasant! It has very slight vibration, just to give you a little feedback, very slight flex. Feel is solid, but not koto-like. Like a good hinoki on top of quality hard wood. Spruce is very similar wood to hinoki when I was researching. This is not normal spruce, by the way. Look at the picture above. This is something hand-picked. All the grains are perfectly paralel. No inefficiencies of any kind! 
Purpose: Controlled offensive looping. It has enough zing to pass the ball through most stubborn blockers. It blocks really accurately, but the blocks look defensive, they are not stingy like with the ZLC blades. 
I absolutely love this blade and I can't see how anybody would be disappointed if they bought this. Yes, the price. I know. I am debating right now : ).

I am shipping the Ludeac Fleet tomorrow, but this one stays with me next week. Sorry :) I need to 'test' it more :) 

Edited by assiduous - 07/11/2014 at 10:31pm
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 9:45am
Here is my review!

Appearance:

This is one absolutely incredibly beautiful blade to gaze at. The wood selection, the handle design, and all the small detailing are just wonderful. SoulSpin can really put a blade together. Even the box the blade comes in has a clever grin-inducing sliding mechanism. Marvellous.

Speed:

Clearly OFF, with some notes in the margin. In general play, it feels solid, smooth, powerful.   Definitely up there with other 7 ply woods in terms of middle gear speed (Clipper, Korbel SK7). However, there is a slight damping effect on slower, touchy shots. This reminds me of the usual hinoki-outered crowd, but not as pronounced an effect. As sid mentioned above, once you start putting effort in, the blade gives a catapult “kick” feel, so although it’s quite stiff you don’t feel a lack of power until you’re a long way away from the table – almost to the car park in fact.

That said, power delivery is very smooth and no surprises await you. Very easy to use for a powerful blade.

Feel:

I’d cautiously call it medium feel. As already mentioned, it has a little of the feel of hinoki, but with more resistance. Meaning that the soft/bouncy feel you would associate with hinoki isn’t as pronounced or obvious unless you’re really hitting hard. It just takes a little of the edge (sharpness/bounciness) away from the short game, and adds a little catapult to everything else.

The great thing is the feeling of “grab”, and the way this is linked to the overall speed and stiffness. The harder you hit the more elastic the response is, as you would expect. But it feels like there is a corresponding increase in dwell too, so the result is faster balls with more arc, which drop to the table at the last moment.

There is a feeling of harmony with this blade. All the features feel like they have been carefully balanced against each other to produce something which just works beautifully. German engineering, for sure.

In Play:

This blade is an absolute loop monster. It supports a looping game so well, you probably won’t want to play any other type of stroke. But you probably will have to at some point, so…

Blocking is generally excellent.   The reassuringly solid construction, combined with the medium feel, mean that it’s pretty easy to be precise and accurate with most blocks. When combined with softer/bouncier rubbers, it did become a little too bouncy when dealing with very high incoming speeds, but nothing too bad (I’ve used far more challenging 7 ply all-woods in the past in this department).

It’s not a smashing machine. It can do a job, but it doesn’t have the outright put-away speed to excel at flat hitting. It’s accurate, and there is a nice, clean feeling to hitting. If you’re predominately a smasher you won’t be looking at this blade anyway I suppose, and you wouldn’t be using it for what it works best at – looping.

It’s good over the table. It’s better than it should be really, considering all the other factors (speed/feel/stiffness). Again, it’s a bit bouncy with softer rubbers, so you might pop up the odd push from time to time.

Overall:

This is the best 7 ply all-wood looping blade I’ve ever used. It produces amazingly high-quality results while not really sacrificing much in any other area. If I wasn’t more of a hitter on the BH wing I’d get one of these tomorrow, regardless of the price. I’m still tempted to get one anyway – the loop feeling was just that good.

My three test setups were T64-FX/Tenzone Ultra – Rhyzm 425/Omega V Pro – JP03/H3N. It wasn’t the best with the H3N for me – too slow overall. But it was an absolute pearl with Tenzone Ultra on the FH – an amazing combination. The T64-FX was bouncy at times. The JP03 lacked a little pace and left a bit spongy in the low gears, but produced brilliant active shots on the BH side.
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 9:51am
Great review!
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/2014 at 10:04am

A beauty! A bit to pricey for this old frog.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic