Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Carbonado 145 vs 190 (Full Review)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Carbonado 145 vs 190 (Full Review)
    Posted: 03/19/2015 at 10:06pm
Stiga Carbonado 145 & 190 Review

Carbonado 145

Head Size: 150 x 156mm
Thickness: 5.8 - 5.9mm
Weight: 88 grams
Handle: Straight 
Hardness: Medium Stiff

Carbonado 190

Head Size: 150 x 156mm
Thickness: 5.8 - 5.9mm
Weight: 88 grams
Handle: Master Flared 
Hardness: Medium Stiff

Rubbers used: Calibra LT Sound max, LT Spin and Hurricane 3

Finally, after months of anticipation and excitement these 2 blades arrived at my door step. I wish I could have gotten these 2 babies much, much earlier but then due to large volumes of orders for these 2 blades I had to wait for a while. Stiga informed me that these 2 blades are a result of a 3 year research and development using the high tech material Textreme. Textreme is a high tech carbon fiber used in making lightweight bikes, parts of a formula car and this is even used in Prince tennis rackets. Textreme boasts of a thinner carbon fiber layer compared to a traditional weaved carbon layer that is used mostly on conventional carbon blades in the market today.

The 2 blades come with a a very good finish on their blade surfaces. Unknown to many people, Stiga has been improving the quality finish of their blades. The blades that come with metal tags have a much more better quality finish. Gone are the thick NCT coating on the blade surface. What remains now is a much thinner and barely noticeable coating on the surface. Before, you could see an obvious dividing line that separates the NCT coating between the blade head and the neck of the blade part. 

Before everything else, I would like to point out that these 2 blades have only slight differences in that they have the same construction and wood veneers (Limba-Textreme Carbon-Ayous-Ayous Core-Ayous-Textreme Carbon-Limba). Also, the orientation of their carbon weave is their distinguishing mark. Teh 145 having a slanted or diagonal orientation and the 190 which has perpendicular orientation. The 2 ayous layers before and after the central ayous core are a bit hard to see at first unless you look at them closely. The Textreme carbon layers are very thin. In fact much thinner than most carbon layers of other blades presently in the market. 

Speed

Both blades are fast but not blazingly fast. I would rate it as Off to Off+ but more on the OFF side. IN comparison to other Stiga blades, The Stiga Intensity Carbon is much faster. On other brands, the Carbonado blades at time can be faster than a TB ALC or at the same level of a primorac carbon at time. The Super MJ ZLC is much faster than the 2 Carbonados.

Feel

I thought the 2 blades are very stiff but they are only mildly stiff. Both felt a notch harder than a regular ZJK ZLC blade but feels more solid. It has this different carbon feel because every time you strike the ball with these 2 blades, the feel of being woody and carbon like alternates in my hand. It is a good thing actually because the 2 blades offer good feed back. The vibrations are minimal compared to the intensity carbon. Also, unlike conventional carbon blades, it doesn't feel that hard and ball feedback is slightly enhanced maybe due to the textreme carbon layers that are very thin.

Throw

Tried using both soft rubbers (LT Sound) and medium rubbers (LT SPIN) on both blades. In a way Stiga was right in claiming that the 145 has a higher throw but personally I would rate this 2 blades as having low throw heights but with the Carbonado 145 having a higher throw. The 190 has about 2-3 inches ball height from the net when doing spin drives or loops. The Carbonado 145 has about 3-4 inches of ball height using the same strokes and rubbers.

On close to the table attacks

The Carbonado 190 has this low, sharp trajectory when doing smashes and spin drives. Close to the table, the Carbonado 190 is much better than the 145. When you attack with loops you need a bit of adjustment for your ball arc especially when taking the ball on-the-rise against underspin. It takes a bit of practice, but when you get the hang of it you can adjust to it easily. When you use attacks on the ball that use more sponge compression and care for speed more than the spin then the 190 is much better.

On mid distance/far from the table

The 145 version easily outshines the 190 despite both having long trajectories, the 145 has a slightly higher arc when countering or spinning the ball mid distance. Through this slightly higher arc, the 145 is more forgiving than the 190 and offers more room for error on that distance. 

Other strokes

Depending on the distance both blades are very good at blocking but the 145 blocks better at mid distance and the 190 close to the table. I have to say that both blades have high levels of control and are much user-friendly compared to other super-fast blades in the market. On short strokes, both are not that bouncy on drop shots and flicks but I would give the 190 as a better blade in doing drop shots because of its slightly lower arc than the 145. 

My Personal Choice

The 2 blades are on a class of their own but I was more impressed with the 145. The arc was slightly better when I used a Hurricane 3 on the blade. The combination proved to be very good and balanced - the 145's speed + the H3's spin and control. The 190 was a better blade with a Chinese rubber on the forehand but I felt that the 145 is much better. I will not be surprised if people who wanted an alternative to composite blades and are looking for something with a different blade will get the 2 Carbonados while using an H3 or Globe 999 National. 

Overall, I am greatly impressed by these 2 blades with much more partiality on the 145 version. I think that the trend of making a faster blade every time a new season for blades arrive is over. With all the very fast rubbers in the market right now you will not worry much about speed but rather on the feel and control of the blade. The speed itself can be partially compensated by the rubber you use. These 2 blades are user friendly even to those players who are on their intermediate levels. The 2 blades come with a hefty price but there are online stores that sell the 2 carbonados at a much more friendly price. Topcoms Online www.pingpongonline.com offers these 2 blades at 152 USD before discounts.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 12:05am
Great pictures cannot wait for your review Yogi !
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 12:37am
i hope i can post the reviews on monday. still enjoying playing with these 2 blades especially the 145. thanks
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 10:01am
Which of the two has higher throw angle ?
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 10:33am
145 has higher throw according to Stiga descriptions of both blades.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 10:53am
The top sheet looks so thin.  Does it have that annoying carbon sound ?
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 5:15pm
Looking forward to your review yogi :) and btw great pics
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2015 at 7:54pm
Thanks, i only used my mobile phone cam on these. Yes the 145 has a slightly higher throw but still both blades can be considered as low throw blades

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 9:18am
reviews added

p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 11:48am
Thanks for the nice review Yogi!

How does the speed and throw of the 145 compare to Infinty and Emerald?
Thanks!
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 12:48pm
Yogi, as usual a very well thought out and insightful review. I am interested in the 190 and i have a couple of questions. Thanks. Big smile

I am using a Stiga Clipper CC and like the crispiness and hardness of my Stiga blade, Would the CC be faster and harder than the 190 ... do you think the 190 would be good for BH short pips? 

Edited by 42andbackpains - 03/23/2015 at 4:10pm
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 1:19pm
Great review yogi! You made quite similar observations as I did with the blades. Have you seen my review?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 7:16pm
P1ngpong3r, the emerald and infinity both have higher throws than the carbonado blades but the latter ones are faster.

42, as far as a i remember about clipper cc, it felt stiffer not only because the blade has 7 plies of wood and thicker but also the thick outer coating of the cc has the nct coating on its top plies. If you use short pips on the 190, you have to adjust more because the blade has low throw and the sp also has low throw.

Giangt, yes i read yours. We have almost the same views on the blade.

rajd1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajd1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2015 at 11:24pm
Nice review Yogi. Thumbs Up
...Rajd...

My feedback url: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=72846&PN=1#893078
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2015 at 8:21pm
Hmmm. Definitely, both blades are good with either h3 or globe 999 national. The combination with a chinese rubber on the fh makes the arc a bit higher abd better on loops.

Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 12:19am
I like these pictures man, you are like a pro. 

I also like the fact that you omitted the fact that you use rubber cement. That always pisses me off, but now i like to think you used real glue. If people send you expensive equipment to test you should at least do a normal glue job.

As for the super low throw.. every single stiga rubber has a low throw. No matter the blade, no matter the rubber. Stiga does not have a rubber that throws nice. I think with a T05 these puppies will throw the ball just right : )

I got a 190 on the way, cant wait :)

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2015 at 12:37am
People know here that i use rubber cement unless i specify it that i use the revolution no. 3 glue.

ikemore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikemore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2015 at 4:06pm
where are the reviews
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2015 at 3:53pm
Which handle do you prefer? Straight or the master flared? 
parhelia9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parhelia9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 6:33am
do carbonado 190 / 145 head heavy ? if compared to Xiom amadeus 
return to XIOM amadues (little mozart)

FH :XIOM TAU I
BH :Cornilleau Pulse Racer
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 6:41am
not really head heavy

Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by parhelia9 parhelia9 wrote:

do carbonado 190 / 145 head heavy ? if compared to Xiom amadeus 

I have not tried Xiom amadeus. But I would not say that my 145 is head heavy in any way. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 4:18pm
Am I correct in thinking that the central core of these blades is thicker than the usual Btfly ALC blade?  Or is that just the angle of the photo?
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that the central core of these blades is thicker than the usual Btfly ALC blade?  Or is that just the angle of the photo?
it is just the photo Baal. Remember it is a 7 ply blade so the angle tricks the eye a bit.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2015 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

FWIW: My Carbonado 145 is 5.91mm thick (thicker than the Viscaria which is around 5.7mm) and the center ply does seem thicker than that of the Viscaria.
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2015 at 8:16am
I'm hesitant to buy one and try, because almost all recent Stigas were dissappointment for me since they felt dull. Do these blades have the dry, hardish and dead feel of recent Stiga blades? (intensity, infinitiy, cc5, rw7 etc.) I like lively, catapulty blades without being hard.

Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2015 at 10:42am
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

I'm hesitant to buy one and try, because almost all recent Stigas were dissappointment for me since they felt dull. Do these blades have the dry, hardish and dead feel of recent Stiga blades? (intensity, infinitiy, cc5, rw7 etc.) I like lively, catapulty blades without being hard.

the 145 is not hard, but without a lot of catapult - but that's where the strength lies (for me).  Enough power from any distance (when supplied by you) without too much catapult helps my consistency and results.  Full price is a bit high though (for any blade).

Edited by tom - 04/21/2015 at 10:56am
Leftyy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2015 at 5:05pm

I have not tried the cc5 or the rw7 so can't really compare but I like the "catapulty" feel in my Carbonado. What is your current blade? 
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2015 at 7:23am
Nowadays I play with zjk alc, but rossi emotion is my main blade.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2015 at 9:02am

Nowadays I play with zjk alc, but rossi emotion is my main blade.

Compared to the JRE, it is lively, catapaulty, more powerful & a touch harder (but softer than a Viscaria).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic