FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Andro Ligna OFF Blade Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andro Ligna OFF Blade Review
    Posted: 09/04/2015 at 10:21pm

Andro Ligna OFF Blade

Blade Specs:

Weight: 90 grams

Blade Dimensions: 151x156mm

Thickness: 6.1mm

Plies: 7 (spruce outer with carbon 3rd layer)

Hardness: Medium Stiff

Test Rubbers: Andro Plaxxon 450 & 350, Reactor Corbor medium soft, Andro Rasant Beat, MXP

Speed: OFF

Product Description:

“Origin, water content, storage, processing method and many more aspects have big influence on a blade’s playing characteristics. For the in Germany manufactured exclusive andro® LIGNA series only the finest wood, which is also used for manufacturing violins, is processed.

Particular attention is given to the sawing method of the wood veneers: Only the finest sawn veneers are processed for LIGNA woods. Major advantage is that this processing leaves no scar on the veneers behind. Consistently solid and clean cut veneers on both sides form the foundation for an outstanding feel. Wood in the way it should be.”

Initial Inspection:

This blade came to a surprise because the outer layers of the blade are made of SPRUCE! Yes the spruce wood that we know that is usually used as a 2nd layer for famous 5 ply blades is used in the Ligna blades. You could mistake it as Hinoki because of the lines but on closer inspection you would see some sort of difference. Andro claims that this is the wood that is also used in making violins. Spruce looks like Hinoki because they are pine trees and belong to the same group of trees.

The blade itself is an example of fine craftsmanship and above average quality among European blades. This blade at first look is obviously not a product from the factory that makes Andro blades. I like the texture and smoothness of the blade and the handle. I got the straight handle. It felt a bit small for my hands.

On a bounce test, the ball has only average height and the sound is like a metallic low pitch. I was curious with its flared handle because the one I got was ST. The ST version tends to have its weight more on the blade head.

Playing Observations

The speed is only OFF level. It is not too fast in my own opinion. The control is like that of an all wood 5 ply offensive blade. The Ligna OFF is not faster than a Timo Boll ALC. Sometimes it feels slower but the control is better. This is more of a spinnier’s blade or a looping blade. I really noticed the high throw that this blade gives with different rubbers that I tested it with. Top spinning near or middle distance from table is its forte. There is some flex on the blade despite being medium stiff and it has some vibration. It is very easy to loop and spin with. I had a weird feeling with the feedback maybe because it was a new feel in terms of the blade. It gives a medium hard feedback when I strike the ball and there is this hard metallic feel with a muffled not so loud sound. However, this is not a bothersome feeling. I think I could attribute the feel with the kind of carbon layer they placed together with the spruce outer layer.

The Ligna OFF goes very well with medium to hard rubbers. The Plaxon 450 and Rasant Powergrip were good combinations. I think faster rubbers would even be better because I tested it for 10 min. with an MXP and the control was so good the shots were accurate enough not to miss. With soft rubbers, it can be choosy. There are soft rubbers like the Plaxon 350 and Rasant Beat that did very well with the Ligna off but softer and slower rubbers like the Reactor Corbor seems not a good combo. If one has to use a soft rubber it has to be a fast and bouncy soft rubber.

Overall, this is a very good blade. It can be used from intermediate to expert levels of players. A bit expensive but very good.

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 5:13am
Thanks for the review Yogi.

I was interested in the Ligna blades, but your review could reflect any other 5ply allwood OFF blade.
Nothing really outstanding or extra ordinary it seems.
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 6:38am
Except that this is a 7ply blade, not a 5ply.

As usual, great review from Yogi.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2015 at 8:38am
It is a good blade in its own right.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2015 at 10:03pm
Also tested the Ligna OFF with Victas Limber rubbers and they combine well. Further testing proves this blade is ideal for medium hard rubbers

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2015 at 10:15pm
Looks like a Soulspin product
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2016 at 6:44am
This blade has the control of a 5 ply wood.
It is a much faster blade though, especially if you swing.
I have a Tibhar Stratus Powerwood and the Andro Ligna is quicker and I feel it has I higher throw with the rubbers I use. Excellent for looping, loads of spin.
Whilst it is faster it still is very controllable.
I would rate it as Off in power and speed
But Off- in control
It can be quite bouncy if you are lazy though, you still need to play a good stroke.
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2016 at 12:56pm
The blade size is traditional Andro design which bears wider shoulder and looks shorter . Not many players favour this design .
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2016 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Ladon1997 Ladon1997 wrote:

Not many players favour this design.

What exactly do you mean by this? Andro blades are actually quite popular in Germany.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2016 at 1:11pm
The graduated grips look like SoulSpin and I noticed on there web site the entire Ligna line has the same handle design..very SoulSpin looking including the logo treatment
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2016 at 2:59pm
the handle is a little narrow, I just wrapped a grip round it and now it is fine. it is a lovely bat to play with, loops beautifully with 05fx
bptse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bptse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2016 at 4:53pm
I have the Ligna OFF+ that I bought from a forum member. It's also a very good blade. I believe it's a 7W blade. It is in my opinion faster than my Photino with more control. If Photino was a 9.2 on a scale of 10 then I'd give the Ligna OFF+ a 9.3 or 9.4. It has just a slightly lower throw than my Photino with the same rubbers (MX-S and Nanoflex FT48). It's great for power looping a few feet from the table. Good spin and feel despite being an overall medium hard and stiff blade. I would play with it more if I wasn't attached to another blade.
zdal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2017 at 4:44pm
It would be interesting to know exact layer structure of this blade. Ligna series of blades from Andro came out at about the same time as Donic World Champion 89 blades. And both brands use special Spruce wood for outer ply.
Though marketing catch phrases are different - "200-year old Italian Spruce" for Donic, "used for manufacturing violins" for Andro  - we can guess that this is the same wood (and most likely manufactured at the same factory, Soulspin).
It seems that the closest match to Andro Ligna OFF is Donic World Champion 89 Waldner OFF. Thanks to slevin (http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66123&PN=2&title=donic-world-champion-89-blades-2014), 
we know that it is 6.9mm thick and its composition is:
 Spruce (1 mm) - Spruce (0.8 mm) - ZLC - Kiri (3 mm) - ZLC - Spruce (0.8 mm)- Spruce (1 mm)
Andro Ligna OFF is 6.0 mm thick, but what is inside?
 Spruce (around 1 mm based on photos) - Wood Layer 2/6 - Some Carbon Layer 3/5 - Core Wood layer 4 - Some Carbon Layer 3/5 - Wood Layer 2/6 - Spruce
 Besides the structure question, can anybody compare playing characteristics of these blades?
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2017 at 5:51pm
I can only comment on ligna off. it is a beautiful looping blade but also stiff enough to be very good at driving.
I could never tame the backhand and I tried lots of rubbers.
IMO you need to be at least a slightly advanced player to get the most out of this blade, it definitely loops better than any blade I ever used and I don't have a very good loop really.
It looped wonderfully with 05fx or H3N, I personally found el-s to hard on the fh but as I say this would not be a problem for an advanced player.
you need really good touch to handle the bh though.
If you are a beginner try something else.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
zdal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2017 at 12:58pm
Thanks for your reply! For the last two years I've played with Andro Treiber H (equipped with Xiom Omega V Tour and Euro). It is a very spinny and light (<80g) blade. Carbon layer surround the core, which gives it a wooden feel on touch strokes. Also rated OFF, it is great at serving and looping but perhaps lacks a bit in blocking.  
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2018 at 10:09pm
Anybody tried new tp_ligna? What difference compare to this blade?
Tuot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2021 at 4:51am
What are the differences between Donic AWC 89 and TP_Ligna CI OFF?
Tuot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2021 at 2:35am
follow 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic