Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinlord Degu 2 I like it. :) (review)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinlord Degu 2 I like it. :) (review)
    Posted: 11/05/2015 at 10:53pm
Ok, this is my first attempt at a serious review. lol I just got a sheet of Spinlord Degu 2 (1.5 thickness). There isn't much info about this rubber online, so I figured I should put something out there in case some other people have been considering this rubber. So far, I've used it for about 5 hours. I practiced with it for 1.5 hours or so and played about 10 club matches. I must say that I'm really impressed with the rubber so far. The sponge is a bit harder than most of the pips that I've tried previously. The sponge is in the 42 to 44 degree hardness range. While the sponge is slightly harder than usual, the topsheet is pretty soft. It has a really good feel. It's not tuned, so it doesn't feel too bouncy. It feels just right to me. Its not fast and its not slow. I had no problem adding pace or putting on the breaks whenever I wanted. The control is excellent! I don't chop often, but with this rubber, I could chop as easily as I could hit through loops and the spin is pretty good too. If you are looking for a super deceptive rubber, this might not be the one for you. If you know what you're doing, it can offer some deception as I found it easy to manipulate the spin with this rubber. 

I play with short pips on my forehand. I've used tried tons of different short pips. Most recently, I've been using 802-40 for the last few months. I've tried 802-40 with various different sponges underneath. Personally, I didn't find 802-40 fun to play with. With 802-40, I pretty much could only stay close to the table and hit balls at the top of the bounce. Once the ball started to come down it was very difficult to make a good attack using 802-40. For me, 802-40 sucked from mid and far distance. IMHO, 802-40 kind of sucked the fun out of the game if that makes any sense. Spinlord Degu 2 instantly made the game fun for me again. With Degu 2, I could hit balls below the table and easily get enough spin to make them hit the table. It's also really effective from at least mid-distance if not farther. The bottom line is, I like it a lot so far. :)

Edited by ericd937 - 11/06/2015 at 6:05am
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Sponsored Links

GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2015 at 12:01am
Thanks for sharing information about this little known rubber. I tried to do the same thing when I reviewed Waran.

Degu and Degu 2 have the same topsheet with different sponges. Degu is a speed glue effect super soft offensive style sponge while Degu 2 is a medium-hard allround to defensive sponge (I'm sure your TBS helped kick up the speed).

Having said that, what made you choose the slower Degu 2 over the more offensive Degu? You seem like you are more offensive minded. Is the sponge of Degu too soft or maybe you were looking for the added control of Degu 2?

Edited by GeneralSpecific - 11/06/2015 at 12:02am
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2015 at 5:58am
I was looking for something with a little more dwell time and feel. Like you said, TBS is a fairly fast blade. I'm also a tall athletic guy, I don't really have trouble generating my own power. Some of the tensioned type short pips have just felt too bouncy in my opinon. While I like to hit with my pips side, I also like to put on the breaks sometimes. I've also tried a bunch of other short pips, almost all of which have soft sponge. Even though the sponge is a little harder, due to the soft topsheet, the overall feel of the rubber isn't hard. It just feels medium really. I didn't see much point in trying another rubber that was just like all the ones that I've already tried. I really just wanted to try something different. 

Edited by ericd937 - 11/06/2015 at 6:03am
CelestialBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CelestialBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/2015 at 8:15am
I have both: Degu 2.0 mm and Degu II 1.5 mm, both in black. I liked the Degu II, I find it a very good allround-defensive short pips which ensures a lot of possibilities. But I liked the regular Degu even more! It is soft and, despite its built-in glue effect in sponge, I find it very controllable for chopping. Very soft feeling. I was very pleased playing this rubber.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 11:19am
Eric, do you still like Degu II? I am trying to find SP similar to my trusty Nittaku Hammond FA 1.5 and perhaps Degu II in 1.5 is something I should try. Thanks!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 11:27am
Something for you BH pippers to answer.
I tried Degu 2.0mm for a while. I liked it a lot when on the offensive or chopping/pushing. But I just could not block with it unless I took the ball off the bounce.
Does SP (or Degu) in general have a problem with allround blocking, or is there a technique I'm missing?
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Something for you BH pippers to answer.
I tried Degu 2.0mm for a while. I liked it a lot when on the offensive or chopping/pushing. But I just could not block with it unless I took the ball off the bounce.
Does SP (or Degu) in general have a problem with allround blocking, or is there a technique I'm missing?

Degu (not Degu 2) is very fast and poppy (if that's the word), it has a tensor-like sponge. That's why I couldn't handle it - too fast for my style.

I am more interested in Degu II.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 8:58pm
Yes, I'm still enjoying the Degu 2. It feels perfect to me on my Timo Boll Spirit, which is actually quite a fast blade. I've never tried Hammond FA, so I can't compare the two.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2015 at 9:00pm
Also, someone mentioned having trouble blocking with Degu, Degu 2 is superb at blocking.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/13/2015 at 8:15pm
Could you post some pictures of your rubber Degu2 ? Thanks!
CelestialBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CelestialBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2015 at 7:10am
Spinlord Degu II pips

Spinlord Degu II and 802-40

The 802-40's pips are more ribbed and with more friction than degu's. Btw they are harder while the degu ones are softer. 

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2017 at 8:40pm
Quick update:

Initially, I played Degu II for a little over a year. I have recently went back to it after playing TSP SuperSpin Pips for about 6 months and Spinlord Waran for about a year. Within 2 days of putting it on I'm much more dangerous. I'm crushing players I could barely beat before and beating players who I couldn't previously beat.

Degu II much more linear and controllable than the other two rubbers. Degu II is also harder and lower throw than both Waran and SuperSpin pips. SuperSpin pips has more spin and no deception compared with Degu II. SuperSpin pips also has a softer sponge, which often bottoms out on hard smashes. Degu II never bottoms out. Waran is a lot faster than Degu II, but you can only hit balls at the top the bounce. When you hit balls that have fallen below the table, I had a lot of problem generating enough spin with Waran to get these balls to drop back on the table. Degu II is really good at attacking balls around the net, even low ones. All three of these rubber have their positives and negatives. I hope this post helps someone. For me, I'll stick with Degu II again for awhile.

Speed: Waran (Fastest)---> SuperSpin Pips (Close second)---->Degu II(Not that fast, but I have a fast blade and am a large guy, the speed is fast enough for me)
Spin: SuperSpin Pips (Pretty good for Short Pimples)-->Degu II (good spin, some deception)--->Waran (Medium-low spin)
Bottoming out: Degu II(Never)--->Waran(on hard hits)---->SuperSpin Pips(bottoms out easily)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic