FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Joola Samba 19/27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joola Samba 19/27
    Posted: 03/23/2016 at 9:01am
Received a sheet of Samba 19 this morning.

Members of the Samba Historical Society will no doubt know that the original Samba was Made in Japan and the recent successor Samba+ was Made in Germany.  Samba 19 and 27 are back to the land of the rising sun however, and are once again Made in Japan.

The sponge is baby blue and looks nigh-on identical to Stiga Airoc (I believe Samba 27, the harder version, comes with a red sponge, similar to ITC rubbers).  The topsheet is different though and doesn't have that crazy shine Airoc has - it feels a lot more natural (and normal really, more along the lines of regular eurojap rubbers).  A quick spin test actually fills me with some confidence - it feels a lot easier to spin the ball up via topsheet contact than any of the Airocs I've tried in the past.

The sheet has a similar dome to Airoc too, but is perhaps a bit more relaxed.  Still tricky to glue down though.  Uncut weight is 61.69g, standard 169x169 size.

I'll give it a try and report back when I can.  If it goes well I might invest in a sheet of 27 as well.  The price is currently discounted to around €35 in europe which is pretty keen.

Sponsored Links

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2016 at 9:11am
New Nittaku Flyatt Spin also has this baby blue sponge..
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2016 at 9:19am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

New Nittaku Flyatt Spin also has this baby blue sponge..

Yeah, TSP also have Regalis Blue and Regalis Red on the way soon, which are also Made in Japan and sound suspiciously similar (at least in terms of sponges).  And they also have Spectol Blue/Red and Spinpips Blue/Red.  Lots of action going on over there in Japan.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2016 at 9:55am
Curious to see if these new batches of non Tenergy japanese rubbers match the last ESN ones.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
FlatHitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlatHitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2016 at 11:00am
I think samba + is a good rubber, I have used it and have had several players at our club using it for 2-3 years now. personally, it is better for a backhand rubber and can be used at a hi-level. It can be a little slow for looping away from the table, very good for returning serves and looping backspin, blocking and general close to the table play.
If your phone is'nt ringing, it's probably me...
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2016 at 12:31am
Any followups on samba 19/27? using samba+ on a Virtuoso+ and still prefer Samba NTEC boosted on a Virtuoso in terms of control, max spin and sound.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2016 at 5:45am
I've had a few short sessions with Samba 19, but it's a bit of an enigma.  I need to give it more time for a fair appraisal, but I'm finding it to be a very frustrating rubber to use.

The topsheet grip is better than Airoc, but not at the level of some recent ESN rubbers.  It compares well to something like Acuda Blue, but not to Omega V Asia (for example).  Like Acuda Blue, it's pretty muted at low speeds and not very spin sensitive, so it blocks incredibly well and pushes with a lot of security.

The problem I have with it is the catapult - I just can't work it out.  Maybe I'm too used to how softer ESN rubbers behave now, but Samba 19 just seems strange to me.  The catapult kicks in fairly early and the medium gears are quite lively, but on harder stokes the spin just seems to vanish and the arc flattens out.  Quite often I would serve (or receive a serve with a push) and be very happy with the close control and spin level.  Then I would loop the next ball with a medium effort stroke and be happy with the spin and arc.  But finally I'd attack the next ball hard and I was never really sure of what the results would be - sometimes the ball would be fast, low and empty, and I'd miss the table (no spin to bring the ball down).  Sometimes the spin would be there but the ball wouldn't clear the net.  It felt like the topsheet was collapsing in some way when the sponge bottomed out.

I've tried it on two blades so far (Crest AR+ and Levi Basalt) and not been happy with either session.  The harder 27 version would hopefully be a lot more stable, because the 19 doesn't feel like a harmonious package at all.

Edited by AndySmith - 05/12/2016 at 5:46am
kuifje View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuifje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2016 at 6:17am
Bring back the original Samba with speedglue! That was, literally, a cracking rubber - the sound with a proper speedglue job was unbelievable.

p.s. apologies for going a bit off-topic - just reminiscing about the good old days here.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2016 at 6:46am
Yeah, I'll probably like the new Samba Tech (37.5 degree, ESN) more.  We all have our favorites.
Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2016 at 8:41am
Samba 27 uses red/orange sponge...
So does Stiga Mantra...
So does Tsp Regilis Red...
Samba 19, Airoc, Gegilis Blue, Flyatt Spin all use that baby blue sponge....

Fly away!
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2016 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Any followups on samba 19/27? using samba+ on a Virtuoso+ and still prefer Samba NTEC boosted on a Virtuoso in terms of control, max spin and sound.

ntec is not anymore on ittf list.
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2016 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Yeah, I'll probably like the new Samba Tech (37.5 degree, ESN) more.  We all have our favorites.

is really more expensive than 19 and 27...
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic