FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga 2016 Blades (updated with review)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga 2016 Blades (updated with review)
    Posted: 05/27/2016 at 7:13am

Stiga Eternity VPS

Weight: 92 grams
Handle: Master Flared
Stiffness: Medium Stiff
Speed: OFF
Plies: 5 (colored limba?? or Walnut?? - spruce - ayous)
Thickness: 6.3mm
Blade Head: 150x157mm

The Eternity VPS came as a surprise because I thought this was another Ebenholz variant of the Emerald. The blade has a semi-fine texture on both the handle and blade surface. The blade head surface is not treated with nct coating or any other varnish present in past Stiga blades. The blade head 
is big unlike previous Rosewood and Ebenholz blades which have 149x155mm sizes for their blade heads. The blade is medium stiff when you tap your fingernails on it and it produces a medium pitch sound. Blade's finish is very good and it has the new white metal logo replacement for the plastic lens they have for their older blades. It has burnt spruce as a second layer and compared to the Infinity this is thicker.The Eternity is also thicker than the Infinity blade.

I used a water based glue for thsi test with the following rubbers: Stiga Genesis M and S 2.0mm, DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (boosted), Tibhar 1Q Sound. The blade did not feel head heavy with any of the above combinations especially with a euro and Chinese rubber. The 2 Genesis rubbers seem perfect for the blade's medium stiffness especially the M version because the overall set up did not feel too stiff even with the Neo H3.

Here are my observations:

Speed & Feel

The Eternity is a very fast all wood blade. Players in the past wanted the Infinity to be faster and their wishes were granted with the coming of the Eternity Blade. The speed is really evident because I was using only the commercial DHS Neo H3 with falco boosting. I have tried that same rubber to a different blade before which was faster than the Eternity but it wasn't too fast. The blade that I have tried it with first was a carbon-arylate blade. With the Eternity blade, the speed seem didn't change at all. This blade is really tailored fit for hard Chinese rubbers. The blade is powerful enough to be used even at middle distance with a Chinese rubber. I would put the blade's speed almost like that of a regular clipper wood with no cr finish or cc finish. It is as fast as 7 ply blades and also feels like a 7 ply blade but with a softer feel. It feels a few notches harder than the Infinity VPS but significantly faster. The Eternity is like a Tibhar Stratus Powerwood but feels softer and is as fast. Compared to the Emerald, the Eternity feels softer but it can seem to rival the Emerald with its speed. I can clearly say that the Eternity is good enough to be used with the polyball even with just a slow rubber. 

Arc and spinning

The Eternity has a medium to high arc depending on the rubber being used. The Genesis M and S versions loop beautifully with this blade. The M version is my favorite because it feels harder and you can really brush the ball with this rubber and blade combination. The S version has a little lower throw when used with this blade. Anyway, the blade is very easy to do loops, especially those side spin loops and counter loops middle distance away from the table. The soft feel of the blade feels very good when looping a very hard underspin ball during tests. So far, it is very much a looper's blade to me. It also produces a long arc and trajectory when looping or counter looping.

Smashing and blocking

Smashing is above average. The semi soft feel sometimes lessen the impact of the ball on hard smashes. With blocking balls, it is highly controllable because of the semi soft feel and gives you a sense of good control towards incoming spinny and fast balls. 

Overall, this is one of the best looping blades Stiga has produced but not only that it is one of the faster ones with a little bit lower speed than the rosewood or the ebenholz. in terms, of feel it is one of the top Stiga blades with very good feel but has no hollow feel. 

Stiga Carbonado 45
Weight: 93 grams
Hardness: Medium Stiff
Speed: Off
Plies: 7 (limba-textreme carbon- ayous?-ayous)
Thickness: 6.1mm

Stiga Carbonado 90

Weight: 87 grams
Hardness: Medium Stiff
Speed: Off
Plies: 7 (limba-textreme carbon- ayous?-ayous)
Thickness: 6.1mm

Let me just make a comparison between these 2 blades and in part their 2 predecessors, the 145 and 190 carbonado. The 2 blades seem thinner by a fraction of a mm compared to the old 145 and 190 carbonados. The 45 and 90 have a thinner textreme carbon. The newer Carbonados have a bigger head by 1mm which is 157mm. I have also used the Stiga Genesis M and S versions 2.0mm, Sanwei Target National and the Stiga Structure Short Pips for the rubbers in this test. I also used a water based glue.

Speed

The 45 and 90 seem to have almost the same speed. It doesn't feel too fast really compared to other carbon blades from other brands. I would say it feels a notch slower than a TB ALC. The 145 and 190 versions are way faster. You could really feel the difference in speed by several notches. Sometimes, the 45 and 90 blades feel like they are off- in speed. 

Looping

The 190 and 145 are already very good looping blades before but the 45 and 90 are even better looping blades due to being slower and seem to have a softer feel. The 45 and 90 versions also have a more woody feel than both the 145 and 190 blades. The 45 has a medium to high and the 90 has a medium arc when looping.  The 90 has a longer trajectory compared to the 45 version.

Control and blocking

Both have very high control and they are very easy to attack with because of the high accuracy when using both blades. Blocking for both are very easy because the medium soft and woody feel lets you control the blocks with lesser force of rebound. 

Overall, both blades performed really well in the tests but I have to hand it to the 90 version. With the 145 vs 190 blades that I tested before, I have chosen the 145 as my favorite. Now on the newer versions, I like the 90 version better. The 90 seem to be more dynamic and I felt it was easier to use and it had more accuracy and control. 

Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 7:26am
Eternity is a blade to watch out for!! A good feeling blade and is as fast as an ALC blade. It feels less hollow than the Emerald and feels softer too but it is really good!!
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Da Baobei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Da Baobei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 7:49am
wow they look very nice. Must resist ... Pinch
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 8:02am
The Eternity does look like a Hurricane Hao II clone to me
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
Figueiredo81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figueiredo81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 10:04am
ETERNITY is one sexy blade, I don't play 5ply blades for a long time but I'll add it to my collection ASAP.
M.Maze / T05
M.Jun / T05
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 10:08am
Yogi you are dangerous man!!
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Figueiredo81 Figueiredo81 wrote:

ETERNITY is one sexy blade, I don't play 5ply blades for a long time but I'll add it to my collection ASAP.
Does the Eternity, like the Infinity suggest an eternity of ply delamination?
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 10:16am
+1 to chonos post

Could you make a comparison of the new carbonado head to head with the old ones?

Thanks
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 11:20am
Originally posted by chronos chronos wrote:

Yogi you are dangerous man!!

Lol nooooooooo

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Giangt Giangt wrote:

+1 to chonos post

Could you make a comparison of the new carbonado head to head with the old ones?

Thanks

Yes that is what I am planning to do

vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 7:54pm
100% jointless top plys ? 
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2016 at 11:28pm
Has Stiga solved delamination of Infinity VPS blade???
I hope Eternity VPS doesn't delaminate like Infinity VPS Dead
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 12:30am
you only showed one side (face) of each blade. What about the other side? Boring like....Sleepy
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 1:56am
Trivial. I do not need to unless it is a combi blade.

The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 10:36am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Trivial. I do not need to unless it is a combi blade.

Thumbs Up

waiting on your review...this one interests me as a possible replacement for the clipper cc <my all-time current favourite blade.

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 05/28/2016 at 10:38am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 10:45am
The eternity blade really feels different from the cc because it is a tad slower and has a softer feel.

The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2016 at 11:12am
Did you try it with various rubbers? I like "softer feeling blades", i'll most likely try one out before i stock up.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2016 at 12:58am
Tried the eternity with chinese, tensor and jap rubbers

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2016 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

The eternity blade really feels different from the cc because it is a tad slower and has a softer feel.

What about the stiffness and flex of the blades conpared to clipper and rosewood 5 7?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2016 at 3:39pm
Softer. I will post the reviews this week.

yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2016 at 1:45pm
updated with reviews

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2016 at 9:43pm
Thanks for the reviews Yogi!

Quick thoughts from you: How does Eternity compare to Viscaria?  And how does it compare to Stiga exclusive?
BB-Big View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BB-Big Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 6:03am
Originally posted by vivan4tt vivan4tt wrote:

100% jointless top plys ? 

Mine has jointed top plies on both sides and jointed core veneer!

Edited by BB-Big - 06/06/2016 at 6:06am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 3:26pm
Chronos, viscaria is harder and faster and so is exclusive. Eternity is flexy but it is fast and at the same time feels mid soft.

el gato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el gato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 3:37pm
yogi can you compare ebenholz 5 with eternity?
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 3:47pm
Eb v is harder and faster by a small margin

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 4:53pm
Thanks yogi!
stancuzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stancuzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2016 at 9:23pm
Hi Yogi,
Some comparison to Infinity vps would be very appreciated, tnx.

Regards
Stan
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2016 at 12:55am
You should read the review it has been compared a few times.

LethalForehand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LethalForehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2016 at 1:09am
Hi Yogi,

The eternity looks really interesting, but your review seems to be in conflict with Stiga's specifications (http://stigatabletennis.com/en/products/eternity-vps-v/). The stiga tech specs look weird though - 5+2 plies speed 140 (whatever that means, its scary that its the highest among all of their blades). Can you confirm they are wrong?

Also, how flexy is the eternity? Compared to e.g. Infinity and ebenholz?

thanks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic