Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 2018 College Table Tennis national, April 20-22
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

2018 College Table Tennis national, April 20-22

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
nctta_chris View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nctta_chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 College Table Tennis national, April 20-22
    Posted: 04/14/2018 at 12:57am
2018 iSET College Table Tennis National Championships will take place in Round Rock sports center, April 20-22, 2018. 

Multiple Olympians will be making appearance, see Participating Players and Teams.

Live streaming (starting April 20th) will be available here

Tournament equipment sale

Edited by nctta_chris - 04/15/2018 at 12:07am
Sponsored Links

JigglyPuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JigglyPuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2018 at 1:22pm
you guys run a great tournament, seems like it gets better ever year, both organizational-wise and player skill-level
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2018 at 6:08am
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2018 at 6:41pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqEDFnggYzE

Harimoto visiting this club. Keep your eye on the remote table, wonderful boy, indeed.
------
𝐖𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐥𝐥
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2018 at 8:51pm
I watched both singles finals and was really disappointed at the very low standard of play.  The USA prides itself on the quality of its college sports - esp. American football and basketball - but the standard for table tennis is little better than club play.  If college sport is the route to the top, then USA will never make it in our game.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

I watched both singles finals and was really disappointed at the very low standard of play.  The USA prides itself on the quality of its college sports - esp. American football and basketball - but the standard for table tennis is little better than club play.  If college sport is the route to the top, then USA will never make it in our game.

Not sure I understand your disappointment: USA's level in international TT competition is probably not a surprise to anyone, so what did you expect from the college competition? And TT is not even a varsity sport in the US, that is it's not recognized by NCAA, college athletics governing body (which does not bode well for college being the 'route to the top' idea, what with the lack of scholarships etc.).

Now, if you saw finals of college basketball or gridiron and saw a mediocre performance, that would be a surprise indeed...
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2018 at 10:20pm
There is no path to becoming a US based professional table tennis player as there is no money.  The standard of play is quite good given that the players' profession right now is full time student.  
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2018 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

There is no path to becoming a US based professional table tennis player as there is no money.  The standard of play is quite good given that the players' profession right now is full time student.  
They are not bad. Don't think it has all to do with the path, may be not all schools have full scholarship.

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
shinchan1506217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinchan1506217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2018 at 12:52am
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqEDFnggYzE

Harimoto visiting this club. Keep your eye on the remote table, wonderful boy, indeed.

When? Why?
Mimobrok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mimobrok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2018 at 1:05am
Info for people not following NCTTA:
Woman's singles final is
Lily Zhang, 2534, UC Berkeley
vs 
Wu Yue, 2492, Texas Wesleyan

Lily Zhang and Wu Yue both played for the US in WTTC earlier this January. 

Men's singles final is
Jishan Liang, 2622, Texas Wesleyan 
vs 
Kai Zhang, 2658, Birmingham 

I won't exactly call this low-level table tennis unless you're comparing this to Japan or China.... but still I love NCTTA video qualities and commentation. 
Yinhe V14 Pro Flared
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Xiom Vega Europe DF
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2018 at 1:29am

A lot of it is club play. I teach at a large university and can easily beat any player on its current team. Some years back there was guy who had been on a Chinese provincial cadet team who was better than me. Even then, usually he beat me 4-2. He had stopped training seriously in China at age 15, was rusty, and was about 2250.  If he had stayed on his provincial team longer he obviously would be around 2600 and I have no chance against anyone like that.  Now he has an MS in petroleum engineering and works for a big oil and gas company here.

But the 2600+ players who will win the tournament would be among the top players in Australia.

The problem with US table tennis is we have no way to sustain a professional player. No leagues. No way to make a living. So our best juniors typically stop serious play at age 18. Moving to Europe is the only option for anyone who wants to be good if they are from the US or Australia.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2018 at 4:34am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

But the 2600+ players who will win the tournament would be among the top players in Australia.

A couple of things:
1.  I saw a video Matt Hetherington posted on Facebook last week and was certain it was labelled as a women's final.  He also posted one of two guys who were truly woeful.  My harsh response was based on what I saw there.  Obviously Lily Zhang and Kai Zhang are an entirely different standard and I wouldn't want to diss them.
2.   I wouldn't want to compare the general standard of table tennis in Oz with the USA - too many unknowns.  However, you're right if you're suggesting that our best are comparable with yours.  Having said that, USA is probably ahead at present.

You're also right suggesting that we face similar problems in terms of developing players at an international standard.  OTOH, USA would be better placed IF table tennis was embraced by the college system.  IF table tennis was given the same attention as other sports there would be in place training and competition opportunities plus considerable status.  But... that's not going to happen.  See the other thread for more thoughts on this.

Edited by Tassie52 - 04/23/2018 at 4:36am
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2018 at 6:17am
I haven't seen the NCTTA finals but knowing the quality of the players over the years, Tassie52 must be seriously confusing what he saw with something else.   The players who have competed in the finals over the years have always been provincial level Chinese players at worst, regardless of country of origin. That's not a low enough level for someone to get salty about American TT, especially coming from a country like Australia which has many similar problems.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2018 at 9:31am
It is truly a grass roots effort.  Congrats the players who organize this for themselves.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2018 at 6:27pm
I thought the playing level was high and the facility and tables were first class
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2018 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

I haven't seen the NCTTA finals but knowing the quality of the players over the years, Tassie52 must be seriously confusing what he saw with something else.   The players who have competed in the finals over the years have always been provincial level Chinese players at worst, regardless of country of origin. That's not a low enough level for someone to get salty about American TT, especially coming from a country like Australia which has many similar problems.

I've already apologised once.  Did you miss that?

This is one of the videos I started watching.  Tell me this is Chinese provincial level.

https://www.facebook.com/CollegeTT/videos/10156423872963960/

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 4:30am

This is one of the videos I started watching.  Tell me this is Chinese provincial level.

Don't have Facebook so I can't see it. Nothing wrong with apologizing more than once especially after being rude.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 5:23am

Don't have Facebook so I can't see it. Nothing wrong with apologizing more than once especially after being rude.

Interesting, isn't it?  I watched a video and made perfectly appropriate comments based on what I had seen.  I wasn't insulting, I didn't make personal comments. i just pointed out how disappointing the standard of play was.  What I saw was posted as part of the 2018 College Table Tennis Nationals, and the standard was very low.  If you would take the trouble to look at what I was commenting on, I have little doubt that you would agree that the standard is unimpressive.   Having an opinion is hardly being rude.
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 6:43am
I saw most of the finals live and some of the semi-finals as well. I watched the team events too but not that much and I think it was overall a very good effort. The playing area, the tables, the crowd were also amazing.

The players ranged from average to good to extremely good in the qualifiers but in the later stages the matches were great and quite high level and lots of fun.

This was the first time I got to watch this event and I am glad I did.
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 10:17am
Is this the finals? I seriously doubt it's the finals.

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 11:01am

Not Chinese provincial level, no way, far from it.
The Older I get, The better I was.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 11:10am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Form FB post title:

College Table Tennis Championships - Team Prelims (Day 1 Morning) - Table 1

That's as far from Finals as it can be.

Here is the men singles final (Kai Zhang vs. Jishan Liang). Both are ~2650 USATT.

https://youtu.be/9cuC541ZFEM?t=10323

Women's final match of Lily Zhang vs Yue Wu is just before that. 
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 11:13am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I agree - those players wouldn't start for provincial teams. But I'd say this: this year's NCTTA men's event was about as strong as the US Nationals.

It featured Kai Zhang, Yijun Feng, Zishan Liang, Kunal Chodri, Bruno, The senior Alguetti, A prior US open winner, The Texas Weslyan / Mississippi chinese imports, etc.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 11:17am
BTW, (and sorry for the side-step), was Jishan Liang trolling, over-confident or just a super-confused EJ?

1. vs Yijun Feng: IF-ZLC, H3 / Tenergy
2. vs Kunal Chodri: Viscaria / Tenergy / Tenergy
3. vs Kai Zhang: ZJK-ZLC (or ZJK-SZLC) / H3 Blue sponge / Tenergy

How can someone play 3 later-stage matches vs top competitors with 3 different set-ups in the same tournament? So much so, that he abandoned H3 when he played Kunal?

Edited by slevin - 04/25/2018 at 11:17am
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 11:21am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

BTW, (and sorry for the side-step), was Jishan Liang trolling, over-confident or just a super-confused EJ?

How can someone play 3 later-stage matches vs top competitors with 3 different set-ups in the same tournament? So much so, that he abandoned H3 when he played Kunal?

Could be a mistake on the part of whoever puts the data up too. Hard to imagine THAT much change from a high level player. 
dewnyc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dewnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 12:00pm
On the NCTTA Facebook group, someone posted this comparison of the 16 highest rated players in men's singles between the USATT and NCTTA nationals

USATT Nationals NCTTA Nationals
2670 2686
2666 2662
2631 2655
2606 2646
2583 2646
2579 2612
2567 2590
2566 2587
2553 2583
2542 2574
2519 2567
2516 2549
2515 2533
2514 2520
2489 2517
2488 2433

AVG 2563 AVG 2585

Also, interestingly, Kai lost to Adar Alguetti and Kunal Chodri in the men's/coed team event.
In the singles, he came from behind in each of the last 4 matches, against Qingwei Sun, Jinxin Wang, Yijun (Tom) Feng (from down 1-3 in games), and Jishan Liang.
#2 seed Jinxin Wang didn't have a good tournament and lost to Kunal in the team quarterfinal, Adar in the team final, and Kai in the singles quarterfinal, as well as the men's doubles quarterfinal (with Jishan Liang) and twice in the team final against NYU - first in singles against Adar and then in the deciding doubles match with Feng Zhe (against Adar and Tom Feng).
Feng Zhe also lost in the decider in 2015 (with Bruno Venturo Dos Anjos), which ended Texas Wesleyan's streak of 11 straight team titles; that same pair won the men's doubles this time, beating Alguetti and Tom Feng in the final.
Tom Feng beat Liang in the team final. In the singles semifinal, Chodri came close to forcing a 7th game against Liang after falling behind 0-3.
In the team semifinals, NYU beat Mississippi College after winning 11-9 in the 5th in the deciding doubles match.

Edited by dewnyc - 04/25/2018 at 5:32pm
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Could be a mistake on the part of whoever puts the data up too. Hard to imagine THAT much change from a high level player. 
it's when the racket fails the test he used Kai's the viscaria
if zlc is his main blade 
zjk szlc is the back up
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

if zlc is his main blade 
zjk szlc is the back up

Wasn't Kai using Victas rubber at some point? Or is it in the distant past now?
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 4:40pm

if zlc is his main blade 
zjk szlc is the back up

Wasn't Kai using Victas rubber at some point? Or is it in the distant past now?

In the semi final, the commentator did say that he was not using his own racket, so that confirms that he did use two different setups in at least the QF and the SF. In the QF he used a racket belonging to a female player on the team. I am not sure what he used in the final. 
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 5:29pm

if zlc is his main blade 
zjk szlc is the back up

Purett: but  that Viscaria had Tenergy on both sides. Not what Kai uses. You can see his combos in the NCTTA videos.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic