FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

3 Tips for Bachhand Topspin against Backspin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

if you look at the way they play the backhand, you'll see that Liam just throws his forearm into it (simply speaking). Calderano on the other hand actively uses his arm and wrist. Hard to explain, but once Liam lets go of his forearm, he is not in control of the movement anymore. Hugo on the other hand is constantly in control of the stroke. So if Hugo decided to stop after initiating his topspin, the topspin wouldn't work, since he's blocking the acceleration. Liam on the other hand only has to initiate and the momentum does the rest. Watch the blade reviews on table tennis daily's channel. Viscaria and foco blade review.

Can you please show your backhand?

I honestly think you are complicating a topic unnecessarily.   Everyone has a different backhand but they all have the same circular and speed production principles as the forehand.   The minor adjustments are to provide a different quality of ball either with more speed or spin depending on the incoming speed or spin.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Sponsored Links

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 8:50am
if you look at the way they play the backhand, you'll see that Liam just throws his forearm into it (simply speaking). Calderano on the other hand actively uses his arm and wrist. Hard to explain, but once Liam lets go of his forearm, he is not in control of the movement anymore. Hugo on the other hand is constantly in control of the stroke. So if Hugo decided to stop after initiating his topspin, the topspin wouldn't work, since he's blocking the acceleration. Liam on the other hand only has to initiate and the momentum does the rest. Watch the blade reviews on table tennis daily's channel. Viscaria and foco blade review.

FruitLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FruitLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 8:45am
Hmmm not sure, I think Pitchford and Calderano have similar backhands, more similar than others mentioned and yet you put them on a different category.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2019 at 6:32am
nah. The video I linked shows exactly what I mean. It's like a circular motion. If you look at fzd's backhand you'll see that he also presses down on the ball. Kindo F like the motion of a punch block. It's weird for me to talk about backhand technique, since there are so many backhand techniques out there. Liam uses a lot of natural arm/ wrist, while someone like fan uses this pressing motion. Lin uses a circular motion as well, but without the pressing down part. His circular motion is even bigger. I think the newest technique is going into the direction of fan's technique. 
Yet if we look at the best backhands in this century, then we'll see that there are different than the ones today. Zjk uses a backhand technique that I'd consider the most basic backhand technique. One that everyone could agree is textbook. Same with wang hao. Ovtcharov has a very different technique from everyone else, but I think he is a very unique player in that sense and shouldn't be included when talking about the backhand, since his game is oddly build. 

I think right now there are two major backhand techniques used.
1. The natural swinging technique. A technique where you just swing your arm into it. 
Examples:
-best example is liam (his backhand is so natural, his wrist just follows through his swing) 
- ma long ( also swings his arm in)
- harimoto ( his wrist doesn't follow through from the momentum of the forearm though, he adds a lot of force actively)

2. The pressing backhand/ ripping backhand. Major difference to the 1. Is that the arm doesn't swing that naturally. The pressing and ripping backhand can look very different in the examples I'm going to mention, but at the core they are the same.
Example:
- fzd ( uses this pressing down motion)
- Simon gauzy ( doesn't press down, but uses his wrist in a similar way. He presses forward into the ball strongly)
-Hugo calderano ( falls into the ripping category. He does a strong swing with a wrist movement of that of Simon)
- Lin Gaoliang ( uses a very circular motion ripping with his arm mostly) 

If you want to see their backhands in action and check what I mean, there are a few videos that showcase them.

Simon gauzy ( watch the blade review on table tennis daily) 
Lin Gaoliang ( watch butterfly Japan technique videos)
Fan Zhendong ( backhand slow motion video or the video I linked before)
Hugo ( also table tennis daily blade review)
Ma long and fzd comparison ( World Cup training video on ittf)
Harimoto ( training videos)

Edited by Tt Gold - 02/12/2019 at 6:01am
nicholasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicholasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2019 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

I saw a video from a German youtuber that works for xiom. He had one of the junior players of the Korean national team in his office and played a bit with him. The junior player gave him some tips for the backhand. What he showed was a complete different technique. He showed a technique where you do a more hitting topspin and then a motion where you push your racket down, to bring the ball down.http://youtu.be/Wu0JxGEzYoM
Starts at 4:42
Thanks for your sharing. I've checked it, but I think that His BH and My BH is a little bit different.
It could be different for BH by Coach in my opinion.
Lula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2019 at 4:07am
I think it looks pretty good. is it suppose to be a backhand kill? 
If it is suppose to be just a soft opening shot i think you could accelerate alot more, so you brush the ball more so you get some spin. maybe you can loop a bit more upward aswell. Accelerating and a bit more upward will give you a higher arc so the shot will be somewhat more safe. More spin will also make it harder for your opponent. 

Now i feel the shot is somewhat flat and the arc is low so you miss some, but i feel that she wants you to play pretty hard against backspin and that is why the shot is somewhat flat. But i am not sure. 
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2019 at 3:29am
I saw a video from a German youtuber that works for xiom. He had one of the junior players of the Korean national team in his office and played a bit with him. The junior player gave him some tips for the backhand. What he showed was a complete different technique. He showed a technique where you do a more hitting topspin and then a motion where you push your racket down, to bring the ball down.http://youtu.be/Wu0JxGEzYoM
Starts at 4:42
nicholasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicholasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2019 at 3:19am
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Your biomechanics for BH are well ahead of those for your FH. Do you get practice or training on medium BH loops or slow, heavy spin BH loops? I know majority of Korean coaches prefer to train players to fast drive everything, but do you ever get a chance to train those?

Heavy Spin BH. Yes. I learned it from China & Korea both.
Basiccally, The Method for Heavy Spin BH is almost same between China & Korea.

I think, As you mentioned, KOR & CHN coaches are prefer to train the fast one first.

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2019 at 1:34pm
Your biomechanics for BH are well ahead of those for your FH. Do you get practice or training on medium BH loops or slow, heavy spin BH loops? I know majority of Korean coaches prefer to train players to fast drive everything, but do you ever get a chance to train those?
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
nicholasy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicholasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2019 at 6:17pm
3 Tips for Backhand Topspin against Backspin by Chinese Coach

https://youtu.be/Q69AyZZy0q4

Edited by nicholasy - 02/08/2019 at 6:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic