FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

shakehand or penhold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VTTCphilipp View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VTTCphilipp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shakehand or penhold
    Posted: 04/18/2020 at 3:47pm
Hey guys,Im a player from germany who recently switched from shakehand to penhold. But as I found out,that especially the forehand topspin techniques are diferrent for the two Grips,im wondering which style i should play and which one suits me better. i made one Video about penhold and one one video about my shakehand techniques

Penhold:https://youtu.be/hxqOePIKJkQ

Shakehand: https://youtu.be/J4tHIis5500

Could you guys watch both videos and tell me what im doing right and or wrong on both grip techniques and which grip suits me better

With best regards
Philipp from Germany
Sponsored Links

mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2020 at 5:53pm
Your overall swing motion using the shakehand grip looks more natural to me. But if you ask me, no one here can answer your question if you should play penhold or shakehand.

Which grip is more comfortable to you? 

Edited by mischasln - 04/20/2020 at 4:00am
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2020 at 5:58pm
If you play penhold style, you will win many more games as compared to if you play sh style. That's because nobody plays ph in Germany and most of your opponents will not be used to such style. That's an important factor to consider!
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
VTTCphilipp View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VTTCphilipp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2020 at 6:20pm
Hey micha,
For me the forehand topspin feels more natural with the shakehand grip,
but my backhand feels better with penhold.
But since im a forehand dominant Player, idk if this plays and important role
jpenman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2020 at 11:58am

Edited by jpenman - 07/26/2021 at 10:56am
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2020 at 7:51am
Originally posted by VTTCphilipp VTTCphilipp wrote:

Hey guys,Im a player from germany who recently switched from shakehand to penhold.

Why ?Smile
The Older I get, The better I was.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2020 at 7:52am
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

If you play penhold style, you will win many more games as compared to if you play sh style. That's because nobody plays ph in Germany and most of your opponents will not be used to such style. That's an important factor to consider!

And complete rubbish Wink
The Older I get, The better I was.
mischasln View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mischasln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2020 at 8:36am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

And complete rubbish Wink

It's just nonsense. In addition, everyone with a bit of sense knows how to play against a penhold player. To hypothesize that a penhold player simply wins more games because it is less common in a country is as absurd as saying that a left-handed person wins more games because the majority of the population is right-handed.

Edited by mischasln - 04/20/2020 at 8:38am
p3v56yahoocom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3v56yahoocom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2020 at 10:50pm
I'm a penholder myself. I urge all my friends starting out to play shakehand. The penhold style is so difficult to learn, especially on the backhand side. Both traditional backhand and RPB are difficult to learn. Shakehand backhand is so much more natural. Philipp, I would encourage you to stay with shakehand. The learning curve is so much gentler.
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2020 at 12:46am
If you are an EJ, there is an advantage to be a penholder : there are not so many selection of blades in comparison to shakehander, so you will spend less Big smile
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2020 at 10:16am
an important point is do you have some / more / enough resources to learn PH vs. the abundance of coaching available for SH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic