Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Effects of net height increase on the sport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SolangeBianca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolangeBianca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Effects of net height increase on the sport
    Posted: 03/01/2021 at 9:50pm
Has there been any recent studies on the possible increase in the height of the net on the sport ? 
  I know they considered it in the past but not of late

I may be wrong but I think there was a net height increase during 1940s or so (supposedly because Marty Reisman & few others were hitting the ball so hard, Marty may have started this rumor himself, so I am not sure about this either)
Does anyone know by how much ? 

Edited by SolangeBianca - 03/01/2021 at 9:52pm
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2021 at 10:04pm
Any net height increase will be the final nail in the coffin for pips attackers since they don't have sufficient arc. As an inverted player who plays with a lot of spin, this will definitely benefit me huge haha....
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2021 at 11:47pm
   THE HIGHER NET PROJECT DISCONTINUED BY ITTF

All the preceding researchings as to the "higher net project" that Swiss Sporting Academy conducted on ITTF behalf were recently discontinued ( whereabout in 2019 for all evidence) once and for all, as a "subject of minor importance". Since then, there were no further attempts to proceed with more researchings.

Edited by igorponger - 03/02/2021 at 12:06am
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2021 at 6:42am
Originally posted by SolangeBianca SolangeBianca wrote:

Has there been any recent studies on the possible increase in the height of the net on the sport ? 
  I know they considered it in the past but not of late

I may be wrong but I think there was a net height increase during 1940s or so (supposedly because Marty Reisman & few others were hitting the ball so hard, Marty may have started this rumor himself, so I am not sure about this either)
Does anyone know by how much ? 

actually in the beginning the net was 6.75 inches.
this was decreased to 6 inches to discourage the negative styles (pushing) that had become a problem
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 11:09am
The ITTF's priority seems to be limiting Chinese dominance. Mattias Falck, who uses short pips, is one of Europe's greatest players. He's one of the few people capable of beating the top Chinese. Raising the net would hurt him. The ITTF isn't going to cut off the legs of one of their golden boys. I don't expect any net raising until he stops competing competitively. While he probably isn't the only reason the ITTF isn't raising the net, he's the first reason I can think of.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

The ITTF's priority seems to be limiting Chinese dominance. Mattias Falck, who uses short pips, is one of Europe's greatest players. He's one of the few people capable of beating the top Chinese. Raising the net would hurt him. The ITTF isn't going to cut off the legs of one of their golden boys. I don't expect any net raising until he stops competing competitively. While he probably isn't the only reason the ITTF isn't raising the net, he's the first reason I can think of.

Less with ito mima
seguso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seguso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2021 at 2:56am
I think if we increased net height more than 2 cm we would start seeing far from the table loopers, kreanga style, similar to tennis. Being tall would be much more important, successful players would have Aruna-like build.

Edited by seguso - 05/03/2021 at 2:59am
pg5x - mxd fh & bh - 2015 video
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2021 at 10:41am
anyone for badminton? ...and back to 21? :)

Edited by Charlie Brown - 05/03/2021 at 10:41am
*sigh*
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2021 at 10:52am
Ya it would be the death of pip hitters...
I do wonder if the raised net would benefit choppers and modern defenders since the raised net would also make power drives harder for the attacker?
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
fzkwrx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fzkwrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2021 at 1:09pm
increasing the net will be better for chinese rubber as they are more tackier and able to put more spin / arc on the ball. 
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2021 at 3:54pm
Increasing the net height with those plastic balls is not logic. The ball was made to reduce spin, if they intended to make this change it should had been done after 2012 Olympics.
Joo Se Kev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joo Se Kev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2021 at 5:56am
I tend to brush loop with a lot of arc, so I think this would help me out, but I'm not sure we need more changes in the game right now. Unless it's a relaxation of the aspect ratio rules for pips, that is Evil Smile
Grab my game-changing new book and to your game to the next level!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2021 at 6:19am
A good, robust 2 Litre, 50% H2SO4 edema would cure those in the position to enact this net height increase.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2021 at 10:16am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Increasing the net height with those plastic balls is not logic. The ball was made to reduce spin, if they intended to make this change it should had been done after 2012 Olympics.

Ittf would never do something that would harm japan best player ito mima
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic