Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problem with forehand loop backswing - any advice?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Problem with forehand loop backswing - any advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
underspinTopspin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underspinTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with forehand loop backswing - any advice?
    Posted: 03/08/2021 at 4:25am
Hello All,

I'm having a huge problem with my forehand loop which I can't fix and it really prevents me from reaching a higher level. Cry

For some reasons, I got into the habbit to "turn" my wrist and close my bat angle so much during the preparation of forehand loop, that you can see my forehand rubber if you stand behind me!

Then during the stroke I'am opening the blade, but this makes the movement of the wrist very weird. Normally, you start your loop with open blade and close at the end of the loop, but I do it vice-versa - I'm opening it during the stroke. The biggest issue is that I was never aware I'm doing this and now it just happens automatically which makes it very hard for me to overcome.

As you can imagine, you cannot have really quality loop with my stroke. My forehand is really inconsistent because of this, especially against backspin balls.

I just hope any of you have some advice how to break this bad habbit? 
Any way to somehow fixate my wrist so it would be physically impossible to turn it that much?

I'm looking for any kind of tips as I'm really tired of people exploiting my weak forehand. 

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.
Sponsored Links

gaurav75 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaurav75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 10:07am
1.Practice infront of the mirror
2. Use metal racquet for correction of your FH topspin stroke mechanics.
To be the best
CoachMcAfee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoachMcAfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 10:43am
I would suggest the following exercise to help:

Holding a light weight (1 to 3 lbs) in your racket hand, stand at the table and shadow stroke 20 forehands with your eyes closed, imagining you are looping against backspin and are taking your racket back with the face of the racket slightly open.  The weight in your hand with give your brain the feedback it needs to know where your racket is facing.  

After the shadow strokes replace the weight with your racket and have someone (or robot) feed you 20 backspin balls to your forehand and try to execute the stroke as you visualized it while shadow stroking.  

Repeat the above at each practice session for a while and it should help.

Coach McAfee

Edited by CoachMcAfee - 03/08/2021 at 10:45am
Coach McAfee
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 3:32pm
One way is to start learning the forehand drive with a open paddle (pendicular to the floor). 

Without proper forehand drive techque, it is really hard to improve to a powerful forehand loop.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 4:40pm
You need to reprogram your brain. Shadow stroke in front of a mirror, and make sure that you spin it properly.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
underspinTopspin View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underspinTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 4:59pm
Thanks for all the tips!
I'll try it out.
In regards to the drive, my technique is not perfect, but I would say is good enough. It's just that I have never learned proper way to do the loop (had a very poor coaching as a kid).
I have been doing quite a bit of shadow training which doesn't help much yet. Could this be that I did it too little or it may just not work for some people?

Edited by underspinTopspin - 03/08/2021 at 5:00pm
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 6:15pm
I thought my forehand drive was decent until one day I realize it was not..
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2021 at 8:36am
Originally posted by underspinTopspin underspinTopspin wrote:

Thanks for all the tips!
I'll try it out.
In regards to the drive, my technique is not perfect, but I would say is good enough. It's just that I have never learned proper way to do the loop (had a very poor coaching as a kid).
I have been doing quite a bit of shadow training which doesn't help much yet. Could this be that I did it too little or it may just not work for some people?

Not enough reps to cancel out the bad muscle memory. Also you should do some other exercises like just spinning the ball upwards toward a target. Make sure you wrap around the ball and give it a lot of topspin. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2021 at 10:14am
Players in china keep saying if there is a problem in your loop, it is usually caused by a problem in your drive. If you loop with a closed paddle, you probably drive with a closed paddle as well.

Spending a week or a month to correct your forehand drive and then achieving a more consistent and powerful forehand loop is worthy of the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic