Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snakes
    Posted: 03/14/2021 at 6:49pm
Didn't think I would encounter a skilled snake player but I did yesterday and dealt really badly against it Dead.... So basically he does these below the table crap and I can't really tell the spin on the ball. The sidespin direction is already difficult and he actually has two variations, one is the underspin variant and the other is topspin...  I wanna learn this sorcery too haha... Is there a guide or something? And how do you actually read them?!

I feel like this is one highly effective way to deal with dropshots which I use a lot after gaining an advantage with the loop (which is why I fell victim to it so many times). He also occasionally uses it against half long serves and deep pushes, and I feel it's actually a very unique way to deal with them...I normally just loop them and vary the spin on my loop haha

I think he's not as skilled as say Adam Bobrow in the snake game but he actually has a complete game including good serves, tight receives and loops and blocks, so if I try to get his snake back passively it's gonna get crushed too...

Edited by blahness - 03/14/2021 at 7:12pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2021 at 10:11am
I love just how many different and weird styles are completely viable all the to the semi-pro level. Hopefully Bobrow's popularity will make for more snake lobbers.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2021 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

I love just how many different and weird styles are completely viable all the to the semi-pro level. Hopefully Bobrow's popularity will make for more snake lobbers.

Haha yeah there's sure a lot of weird shit out there LOLLOL

This was an eye opener for sure, I never thought this was a viable style...

Tbh I have my specialties in the serve and receive too, so it's still quite a unique style even though the rest of my game is quite a standard looping game...

Edited by blahness - 03/15/2021 at 5:10pm
-------
Viscaria

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2021 at 9:42pm
The good thing is we can train for the snake at home with the cheapest robot. I think it's worth it because it's funny, spectacular and success means more than 1 point, the opponent's mental has got to take a hit if you win a point like that in a match.
WingTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WingTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2021 at 5:14am
If you know a snake is coming up and still have good eyes, I think it's possible to anticipate the direction of the bounce by concentrating on the rotation of the ball or not overcommit and see how the ball bounces before smashing it. It's why it's not a very popular technique in high level competitive table tennis.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2021 at 9:26am
If we know a snake is coming, is it sneaky-snaky to watch under the table what's the opponent is doing?
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2021 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by WingTT WingTT wrote:

If you know a snake is coming up and still have good eyes, I think it's possible to anticipate the direction of the bounce by concentrating on the rotation of the ball or not overcommit and see how the ball bounces before smashing it. It's why it's not a very popular technique in high level competitive table tennis.

I have bad eyes :(
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic