FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Timo Boll using Primorac Carbon now

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timo Boll using Primorac Carbon now
    Posted: 04/14/2021 at 8:35am
I find it interesting Timo can switch from his Timo Boll ALC to Primorac Carbon without really effecting his play. Pros are amazing.

OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
Sponsored Links

astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 9:04am
Anybody can do that.... it just shows how irrelevant equipment is to the game.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 9:50am
The PC is a tad faster and as he is aging, his choice is probably to keep up with the younger studs putting less force into his strokes while he compensates with 20+ years in the top 10 that gave him enough touch and knowledge.

Are the 2 blades that much apart anyway? I imagine a 93gr ALC not much slower if any than a 82gr PC for example. The differences in dwell, flex and bounciness can't be high enough to matter. Maybe that's what he is after: lighter without losing speed and feedback. The softer cypress outer may suit his feel better too.

jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 10:16am
He also switched to a slower rubber a while ago, 09C.
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 11:28am
I think you guys are putting too much science into it.
he just tried the blade, it felt nice, he made the change.

the same basic procedure any ej from mytabletennis would follow LOL

in theory this is him writing
https://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=1969&page=1322
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 11:55am
Those are two totally different blades. I play with a Boll ALC and Primorac Carbon would be the last option if I decided to go to something faster.
There are tons of blades faster than Boll ALC that I would like to try first: Apolonia ZLC, Zhang SZLC, Andro Treiber Off, Nittaku Barwell Fleet, and many more.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 12:02pm
I think Boll should tried the ZJK szlc next. Welcome Boll to the fun EJ world.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by astaroyd astaroyd wrote:

That is him writing. And he writes that when his body is back to 100% he may switch back to ALC because it gives him more options.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

That is him writing. And he writes that when his body is back to 100% he may switch back to ALC because it gives him more options.
He might keep using it as well. Who knows.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 7:04pm
If you can control the serve receive with PC, it is the best in the open rally haha...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

He might keep using it as well. Who knows.

His body might never be back to 100% - he's 40 now, after all.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

He also switched to a slower rubber a while ago, 09C.

This.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Those are two totally different blades. I play with a Boll ALC and Primorac Carbon would be the last option if I decided to go to something faster.
There are tons of blades faster than Boll ALC that I would like to try first: Apolonia ZLC, Zhang SZLC, Andro Treiber Off, Nittaku Barwell Fleet, and many more.

He is on contract with Butterfly
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Yes, I know that. Those I list would be my options.
Anyway, within BTY range there are many blades faster then Boll ALC, but he went directly to the fastest of them all. That I found a radical change.
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 10:07pm
Maybe e does not want to change blade every 2~3 years,............

Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Yes, I know that. Those I list would be my options.
Anyway, within BTY range there are many blades faster then Boll ALC, but he went directly to the fastest of them all. That I found a radical change.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 11:10pm
So the strategy is: slower but spinnier rubber called for a faster blade offering less options but maintaining speed and spin to keep up with the rest of the pack?
His body aches might be bluffing because even very healthy, it would not be a bad strategy with age piling on.

Edited by stiltt - 04/14/2021 at 11:15pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2021 at 11:24pm
Guys at his level are not like us.  

Plus maybe he found a slower one than usual.  Also, as already mentioned, slowevrubber.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 12:52am
In the german forum he told us, that he switched to the Primorac Carbon (for the moment) because of health problems (not enough power) after playing against Jonathan Groth in the Champions League Semi Finale, who has also switched to Primorac Carbon some times ago.

Timo noticed, that he received Jonathan`s attacks with much more power than usual. So he thought, that it could be a good idea to try this too and liked it. But like mentioned here before, he also told that he has much more options with his usual ALC and that he plans to switch bak to the ALC if his health problems are gone.

I do not think, that he means that he generally has not enough power because of his age. Like several times in the last years he has pain in his back and therefore he is not able to play with full body power. So he tries to get more power out of his racket.

kakapo View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 1:15am
I'm each time amazed reading how many people rely on the handle only to determine which blade a pro is currently using.

Edited by kakapo - 04/15/2021 at 1:20am
Def play grey grip 94gr, Venus 2 blue 2,2, Neubauer KO extreme 1,3mm
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 3:29am
I know what you mean, but in this case it is a fact. Timo is registered on tt-news.de and he wrote himself that he switched to Primorac Carbon for the moment. Why should he play with a Boll ALC with Primorac Carbon handle ??? In his posts in the german forum he wrote, that he finds the handle of Primorac carbon to be "at the limit (too thick)". That means, that he prefers his personalised Boll ALC handle. In my eyes he clearly explained WHY he actually switched to the PC and he also says that he plans to switch back to the ALC, when his health problems are gone.
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 4:03am
in this video timo says why he prefers boll alc over primorac carbon
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 10:06am

That was three years ago.

I guess that a lot of unplayable fast blades might be  appreciated and used in the future.

Next, Sardius? Xiom Axelo?
astaroyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astaroyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 11:43am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

That was three years ago.

I guess that a lot of unplayable fast blades might be  appreciated and used in the future.

Next, Sardius? Xiom Axelo?

don't forget the female equivalent of timo LOL petrissa solja..... 

-also the best player in the german team (except female)
-also left handed
-also played with a blade similar to primorac carbon (the joola rosskopf force)

I think now she's using something similar to a "butterfly amultart".
---------------------
another important point is being left handed.
left handed players naturally play closer to the table more counter attack style.
the lower throw of primorac carbon is perfect for this.... (remember solja, timo, groth are all left handed).

for a right handed player the low throw of primorac carbon might be a bit more uncomfortable since they are forced to go a bit farther from the table which means they use the higher curve of alc.

but this is for bundesliga level.... for amateur level it doesn't really make any difference.

even koki niwa used hinoki carbon (amultart) some years ago...yet another left handed with hinoki carbon.

Edited by astaroyd - 04/15/2021 at 12:07pm
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

I'm each time amazed reading how many people rely on the handle only to determine which blade a pro is currently using.

post wins thread.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 2:36pm
I created the post and never mentioned anything about handles. The picture was just for reference. Timo himself is the one who said he switched to PC.
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

post wins thread.

No, post was irrelevant for this thread.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 5:04pm
Anybody amazed like me at Timo's connection with his fan base? I mean what a class act!

I never watched a world top player apart from Chen Weixing playing Liang Jishan in Bellevue, WA and Houston is my best bet. I hope Timo will be there, there is nobody I'd like to watch playing live more than him.

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 5:26pm
Machado former top100, and probably our best spanish player, played for decades with Primorac Carbon. In fact he still keeps using it but he's no longer at the international stage though. I wouldn't call it unplayable, maybe a blade not "amateur friendly"

Its curious PC is no longer popular nowadays in the same way Viscaria wasn't too in the past and PC was one of the most desired on speed glue era.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 04/15/2021 at 5:29pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 5:29pm
Timo boll hinoki carbon/alc/zlc will be the new series of blades?
Hinoki is the best !

Edited by Robin.w - 04/15/2021 at 5:38pm
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

Anybody amazed like me at Timo's connection with his fan base? I mean what a class act!

He joined that German forum 20 years ago and keeps writing there occasionally. Of course in recent times he's also been trying to build a following for his "webcoach" and YouTube channels, so answering equipment questions makes sense.

He's friends with Dirk Nowitzki and has been to Texas before.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic