Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly Moonbeam handle swap - SDC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Moonbeam handle swap - SDC
    Posted: 04/19/2021 at 4:44am
Just wanted to share some photos of a repair job, commissioned by Antuan, on these two Butterfly Moonbeams. The job was to replace the rusted black tag on the ST one and to change the handle on the AN for an ST, including the plastic and metal tags.

SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 1:26pm
Great job, changes are not noticeable at all. I built blades myself and I know how changes can be complicated.
But one thing amaze me equally: where do you guys find so many Moonbeams? In such good condition? 
It´s been discontinued by BTY so many years ago but some users seems to go to the shop anytime to purchase another one.
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2021 at 4:16pm
Thanks. It was a perfect fit because the An handle is a little wider that the ST, so I just had to adjust the blade shape by removing some material.

Well, you'd have to ask the owner that, but it seems he has 5 Smile
SDC Handmade Blades / www.sdcttblades.com / Insta - @sdc_tt_blades / Facebook - @SDCblades
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2021 at 7:30pm
I can not believe someone will do that to original and hard to find nowadays blade! I am speechless...I don't follow often the forum, but....Was that AN blade for sale? If I knew it will be killed by this way - I should surely make an attempt to save it in original condition. I love AN handles. And now what? I could bet balance of the blade is different. Otherwise the swap is made very well by pictures. But is it working at all? What's the feedback for the playing skills? Difference in weight Before and After?
Hipnotic View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hipnotic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2021 at 7:31am
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

I can not believe someone will do that to original and hard to find nowadays blade! I am speechless...I don't follow often the forum, but....Was that AN blade for sale? If I knew it will be killed by this way - I should surely make an attempt to save it in original condition. I love AN handles. And now what? I could bet balance of the blade is different. Otherwise the swap is made very well by pictures. But is it working at all? What's the feedback for the playing skills? Difference in weight Before and After?

Here comes the "keep it original" police again LOL Aren't you being a little dramatic? It's not like I murdered someone. These were the owner's wishes, I just executed them. And he thinks I did a very good job so, if he's pleased, then I'm happy. Just because you like AN handles doesn't mean he does and it's his  blade so it's his decision.

Balance is different, but that was all discussed. For the record, the ST one weighed 94.2g with a balance of 3.7cm and the AN 98.2g with a balance of 3.2cm. We decided not to keep the same weight and balance, but instead bring the weight down to keep it closer to the ST. After the change the weight is 93.1g with a balance of 3.6cm. 
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2021 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Hipnotic Hipnotic wrote:

Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

Here comes the "keep it original" police again LOL Aren't you being a little dramatic? It's not like I murdered someone. These were the owner's wishes, I just executed them. And he thinks I did a very good job so, if he's pleased, then I'm happy. Just because you like AN handles doesn't mean he does and it's his  blade so it's his decision.

Balance is different, but that was all discussed. For the record, the ST one weighed 94.2g with a balance of 3.7cm and the AN 98.2g with a balance of 3.2cm. We decided not to keep the same weight and balance, but instead bring the weight down to keep it closer to the ST. After the change the weight is 93.1g with a balance of 3.6cm. 

No drama here if the owner is satisfied. I just shared my opinion.
Thanks for confirmation of the details I asked.

Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2021 at 6:55am
The blade is awesome! perfect fit, very confortable handle, just like the original one. Hipnotic is a great "carpenter".
I don´t like FL and AN handles, and I love ST ones. If I get more AN or FL Moonbeam blades I would change the handle cups again, no doubt.
It is my actual blade, I am using it and it plays awesome!

Edited by Antuan - 04/25/2021 at 7:06am
Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2021 at 6:57am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Great job, changes are not noticeable at all. I built blades myself and I know how changes can be complicated.
But one thing amaze me equally: where do you guys find so many Moonbeams? In such good condition? 
It´s been discontinued by BTY so many years ago but some users seems to go to the shop anytime to purchase another one.
Here you can see my collection:
I have another Moonbeam ST blade, I will add it to my collection soon. Now I have 4 Moonbeam ST (one of them is the modified one).
Antuan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2021 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

The shipping costs were not too bad huh? neighbors! Clap
I think shipping from Spain to Portugal is similar than sending to USA or other countries Big smile. Around 15 euros.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic