Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing a korbel for a modern defender

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Geffie View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geffie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing a korbel for a modern defender
    Posted: 06/18/2021 at 2:46am
Hey hello everyone,
I make a post today because i ve broken my beloved korbel (japan) after 6 years. Since i ve read that they have changed and now they are made in eastern europe and that they are not the same, i was thinking it s time for a change ( but not too much change im not THAT advanturous).
A little background im a 2600 rated canadian player or roughly 2300 usatt (my best usatt was 2350 if i recall). 
I play heavy top spin from both side and i switch my LP to do it, i defend with my LP on bh and i counter topspin on my FH, very occasionally defending with the inverted. (I also attack weirdly with my LP at least 1 out of 2 points)
i was playing with my old korbel blade, a cloud and fog3 0x and a xiom omega 7 euro. (Cloud and fog i sometimes change with a grass dtecs and even with some LP with sponge )
For me the strenght of the korbel is that he is a jack of all trades, i can do everything with it.
I allready selected some blades that seems to be roughly in the same speed control range after going on many forums. 
Nittaku accoustic
Nittaku violin
Darker 5p2a
Osp virtuoso
Thibhar stratus powerwood 

Wich one would be the best and why? , but please remember i play with 0x most of the time and that my fh rubber is quite soft( omega 7 euro 2.0) so i need at least the same weight as the old korbel.

Ty for everyone who will answer

Ps: for the moment i play with my 2nd blade, a unicorn blade and a donic c2max and hellfire x 0x , its so f**kin slow i can litterally play short on bomb service but i simply can t attack without dislocating my arm.......plz help
Sponsored Links

Maloong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maloong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2021 at 3:09am
just to make it clear, you know that Butterfly is still producing the same Korbel, don’t you? 

If you purchase a Korbel in Europe, it’s likely European made Korbel, but if you buy one in Asia, it’s Japanese made. Also even in Europe, Butterfly sells Japanese made Korbels, it’s just that Japenese made ones are a bit more expensive. 

Obviously there’s nothing wrong with changing the blade. I just wanted to point it out that Korbels are still the same. 

Hope this helps, 
Veet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2021 at 4:38am
I agree with Maloong ... Korbel is very much in production .. You seem to be very happy with it, so, why not stick with .. 

However, if you're just hell-bent on changing, then I would say Tibhar Stratus Powerwood - I think, It's got the same composition as the Korbel, but it feels a tad stiffer, and a has a slightly larger heard (??) .. I've tried it with Long Pips, and it seemed to work well .. I also like it's offensive capabilities, with both, top-spins & flat hits..  Very good price:performance..  It's the cheapest of the lot (you've mentioned) 

Edited by Veet - 06/18/2021 at 4:38am
fEINTchoPP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fEINTchoPP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2021 at 6:02pm
You can still purchase the made in Japan version in North America. I recommend JZ from Table Tennis Only. He lists the weights that are in stock so you can select the weight you prefer.

Butterfly Retriever ST
Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo Orange 2.0
Butterfly Ilius S 1.3
azv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2021 at 6:37pm
I played with a 95g Korbel and LP for a while and then switched to a TSP/Victas Swat, it was an easy transition for me:
- it a bit less bouncy, excellent for chopping 
- a bit softer, a bit stiffer
- a bit slower in the lower gears, same or higher top speed. 
- similar characteristics at a lower weight (85g swat vs 95g korbel)
- larger and more comfortable handle

I do play with it with medium hard rubbers in the FH, currently V15 extra 
TSP Swat, V15 Extra, LP
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2021 at 6:37pm
I want to play the devlil's advocate here, and ask that does it really matter where a blade is manufactured? I'm sure BTY enforces the same treatment for wood and dictates to use the same glue between all factories it has/subcontracts. After that point it's just a matter of cutting the plies with specified thickness and glueing them together nicely.

I work in automotive manufacturing field and nowdays it's a mith that cars made in Turkey, Romania or Ukraine are worse than made in France, Germany, UK...

I live in Hungary and I think said EU BTY blades are made in Hungary. I am biased but due to my experience I don't think there is a concerning quality difference.

Just so you know the Amicus robots are aslo made in Hungary and no one seems to complain about them. (except for price)
Maloong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maloong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2021 at 7:51pm
I actually agree with you Zwill. I believe the Korbel made in Europe and the one made in Japan are made in the same quality and process. I think people may say they are different due to weight difference. From my experience, I actually bought a few Korbels in the UK and some in Korea, the European made ones are often 85g or less. And the Japanese made ones were 90g or even heavier. So this would be the big contributing factor. But still, I was able to find 92g European made Korbel, so with the same weight, I am sure they are same or similar. 
Geffie View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geffie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2021 at 2:43am
Hey, thank you all for your answers :)
actually, i really thought All the korbels were all made in hungary for now. So thank you @maloong for the info

@zwill i got nothing against eastern europe but my euro korbel is actually 82g and my old jap one that i broke was 96g... So they just don t really feel the same honestly that's why i didn't wanted to buy another one.

@veet and @asv thanks for the infos on thibhar stratus powerwood :) and the swat also

finally a big thanks to @feintchopp because i just bought the two korbel they had in stock 96and 98 g.

96 will be the exact same as my old , and 98 might be like 1% faster :)

i should be good for at least 12 years if they last the same amount of time as my old one

Ty for all for your help and maybe someday we might play against each other :) (i only come for the joola teams tournament in the states)

Edited by Geffie - 06/19/2021 at 2:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic