Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Donic Skachkov Carbon review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
azv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Skachkov Carbon review
    Posted: 01/26/2023 at 2:06pm
It's a great blade, can do everything well! 

I’ve been playing with G1 and p1r. It can block close to the table, chop from mid and long distance with the pips providing good control, and it gets a good amount of reversal! 
With the FH it can attack very well, I like it with higher throw rubbers like g1, rakza z or t05, all of them work well, I did try it with a nittaku factive and it had great control, very easy and consistent to flat hit (would be great for bh if I didn't play with lp).

It’s fast but not too fast, I would rate it off- to off, something between a Viscaria and a if alc or a korbel (for example a 100g korbel is faster). The feel is slightly muted but has good vibrations and feedback from the ball, similar to a IF ALC but a bit crispier contact from the koto outer piles. 

The blade is quite linear on power delivery, not like others that have clear and distinct gears once you engage the carbon.

The blade size is larger than normal, about 159x152mm, rubbers cut for a Korbel fit well giving it a hair of distance between the handle and where you land the rubber, so no weird shapes like donic eggs.
Weight is about 85g with the balance towards the head, the wood in the handle is very light, gets head heavy easily. The ST version is square and thick, very comfortable for big hands and great to twiddle.

The finish quality is ok, not like premium blades that cost three times more, it can use some sanding and requires lacquering, or you'll rip off the outer ply when changing rubbers. Considering the price I think it's a hit from Donic!
TSP Swat, V15 Extra, LP
Sponsored Links

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2021 at 9:26pm
Hope the QC is not too bad. I bought a Joola Manet off blade when it was on sale for about $27. And I really regret buying it because it looks and feels so bad. I don't want to say that you get what you pay for, but these lowly priced blades generally have QC issues.
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2021 at 6:39pm
That forum info matches my findings. I would not say it is much slower than a Viscaria. By coincidence, I have got a 84 gr Viscaria and this 83 gr Skachkov so the comparison is fair.

If the money I could earn by winning my matches was a stake, I would definitely use the Viscaria. Maybe the Skachkov is 85% of the Viscaria speed. It definitely does not feel cheap, the Donic's dwell time is a little longer. The bigger head makes it more cumbersome close to the table and that little delay gives the edge to the Viscaria if your strategy is to play the balls off the bounce.

So overall the Donic is a very good blade, especially for the price but it is more suited to those who let the ball come up a bit and tend to do spinny controlled loops as their main strategy. The Viscaria is for those who want to beast every ball.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2021 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

After testing it further for some time, I can say it is a very good blade. If you want something similar to a Butterfly ALC (Viscaria clones) but with a lot more feeling at the expense of a little speed loss, this is it. A winner with Tibhar MXS.

Any update on the blade? 

I read on a chinese forum that it is quite stable and consistent. Probably much easier to play than a Viscaria.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2021 at 7:09pm
After testing it further for some time, I can say it is a very good blade. If you want something similar to a Butterfly ALC (Viscaria clones) but with a lot more feeling at the expense of a little speed loss, this is it. A winner with Tibhar MXS.
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2021 at 3:58pm
Doesn't sound too bad for a 45 EUR carbon blade. 
Too bad about the handle, as I like the squarish handles. 
Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2021 at 4:54am
My friend managed to glue the handlecups to the blade properly and we got to try it out yesterday. I had glued an MXS and and MXD just before training so these are sort of preliminary observations because the glue was not 100% settled at the time.

The blade has a good feel and it lacks the muted feel of classical ALC blades. The ALC feel is still there but not as pronounced. It is definitely not as hard as a DHS Hurricane Long 5. There was a Victas ZX Gear In yesterday, the Donic is surely faster than that but a little slower than the Gear Out. Also, it is slower than what used to be called Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon.

All in all, the Donic marketing blurb is correct, the Skachkov is really somewhere around a solid OFF- / lower OFF.  The vibrations in the palm provide good feedback and the ALC or whatever weave makes for the extra  stability over all wood blades. It seems like a very spin friendly blade.

The FL handle is rounded, not squarish. Similar to the FL on the Tibhar Szocs Signature 1 but a little smaller. The balance of the blade is a little different from the standard 157x150 but you can get used to it pretty fast.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 07/10/2021 at 4:55am
p1ngp0ng3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p1ngp0ng3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2021 at 3:46pm
Thanks for the info Hans. This blade caught my eye as well (together with the Original True Carbon Inner).

Owned several Donic blades in the past, but none had such production failure as you described.
Hopefully your friend can restore it.

Infinity VPS - Hybrid MK - T25 FX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2021 at 7:44am
I decided to give it a go because I was hopeful that one of the major manufacturers would come to their senses and start selling blades at a reasonable price - bad example is Joola with their Vyzaryz series which are probably great but unaffordable. The same goes for Butterfly except their prices are beyond unaffordable. So I was happy to see the Skachkov Carbon and was eager to give it a try.

There was a Russian video on it where the guy measured three such blades and all of them came out to be 83 gramms. He also did a sound pitch test by bouncing the ball on the bare blade next to a Donic Ovtcharov Carbon and the frequency on the Skachkov was audibly lower.

So I got hold of a Skachkov blade and..... I was upset by the quality of the gluejob on the handle. I find it unacceptable for a major brand to sell a blade with a handle that is unstuck on one side along a 4 cm long stretch and over 2 cm on the other at the neck. Anyone who reads this, be cautious about this blade and have a good look at it before buying. I was not in this position unfortunately. Luckily, I have a friend who works with blades and is very likely to be able to fix it for me.

I seriously do not understand how come Donic are so sloppy about what they let out to the market.

This was the worse part, the good thing is that the blade itself without the handlecups looks okay. The handle is very good, smaller than a Tibhar Szocs Signature but thicker than a DHS Fang Bo or Ma Long. What really surprised me is the blade head and the weight.

The headsize is 159x152 and the weight is 82 gramms.

More to follow depending whether my friend can fix it for me or I will be forced to send it back in case he cannot.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 07/08/2021 at 7:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic