Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victas Triple Double Extra review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Victas Triple Double Extra review
    Posted: 07/10/2021 at 5:53am
I was intrigued by Victas's latest Chinese rubber so I decided to get hold of one and give it a go. A few words about myself and the way I relate to this brand as a buyer: succinctly put, I consider Victas to be the Japanese Donic, meaning that they do not invest too much in bleeding edge technology as far as coverings go but try to cover it up by putting some mystery around themselves and they try to base their image on some kind of halo effect, in the case of Victas it is Koji Matsuhita and the good TSP rubbers, especially the pimpled ones.  I a not a fan of their flagship rubber, the V15 Extra. To not just blast Victas, I give them that their pimple range is very good and also affordable. The Ventus Extra (ex TSP  Super Ventus) is an outstanding rubber both in term of performance and durability. I cannot wrap my head around why it does not get the attention it deserves. And now Victas has brought out the Triple Double Extra which is made in China.

A lot of people seem to be hung up on its tackiness. I have found that it is not as tacky as DHS Hurricane rubbers so anyone looking for that trait should look elsewhere. Although it comes with a plastic foil, it is just as tacky as the Donic C1 / C2 or other ESN made hybrids. My brief opinion of the TDE is this: if the decision makers at Donic had some sense they would have bought this rubber and would have started selling it as the Bluegrip C1.

I have been using it on a Stiga Defensive Pro for a month. My plan is to move it to a normal attacking blade later.

As I mentioned, it is not as tacky as classical Chinese rubbers. In terms of hardness, it is less hard than the Nittaku Pro Turbo, but probably harder than a 39 degree H3 Neo from memory. I tried the Donic Bluerip C1 not so long ago, it is around that kind of hardness but there is a big difference which I will get to. It does no have the pungent smell of a H3, in fact it has got a kind of sweet smell. When I pulled my finger on the sponge it felt a bit slippery. The sponge could pass for an ESN sponge like that of the Donic C1.

If we imagine a scale ranging from euro rubbers to Chinese ones, I would say that the Donic Bluegrip C1/C2 sits at 2/3 way in the direction of fully Chinese rubbers. The  TDE is at 85-90% there on this scale. Donic's hybrids are so because of their hardness but they interact with the ball as ESN rubbers do. The TDE is as hard as Chinese rubbers but interacts with the ball in a slightly different way which I have not experienced before.

It is more easy to play with the TDE for a euro rubber user right from the start because it is a lot easier to produce very good spin at low speed with a stroke that is closer to the usual. This is because of the higher speed of the TDE. What sets it apart from Chinese rubbers that the spin remains constant at higher speed play.

To summarise, my view is that the TDE is a hybrid rubber which feels Chinese except the tackiness and that the spin generating capacity does not rely on tackiness but the grip of the topsheet.

topspin: very good and it stays so at higher speed.
speed: a lot faster than the typical Chinese rubber. I would say at least the level of Donic Bluegrip C1 / C2 (even Z2)
safety over the net: also very good and consistent (I struggle with Chinese rubbers in this regard)
serves: I would say the spin level is slightly above ESN rubbers
short game and receive: very consistent

My training partners observed that my underspin serves are heavily loaded.

There are some opinions about this rubber that say it is like a well boosted H3 - that could be right. The TDE is a rubber that offers the advantages of Chinese rubbers but with increased speed and control capabilities with  the tradeoff being that hardcore Chinese rubbers fans might not really like it because the topsheet does not work like a typical Chinese one.

Sponsored Links

Rinforzando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinforzando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2021 at 7:38am
Blade: Nblades power plant 1 ply Hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Spinlab Vortex 2
ashishsharmaait View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashishsharmaait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2021 at 8:01am
How much does it weigh?
GrayGhost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2021 at 3:39pm
I was pretty excited to get my TDE, fresh out of the package very sticky.. more so than H3N com and prov.  However, tackiness disappeared after about 30 minutes and never came back :(. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Rinforzando Rinforzando wrote:

TDE tackiness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDoplbH4lYo

That is obviously a marketing video. What we see on it could work if: 1. the ball used is brand new and it has not touched a table or a bat yet and it is covered with the usual dust 2. the TDE is so brand new that the protective foil has just been removed.

Still I think it is a very good rubber.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2021 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by ashishsharmaait ashishsharmaait wrote:

How much does it weigh?

75 gramms uncut with the foil on.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2021 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by GrayGhost GrayGhost wrote:

I was pretty excited to get my TDE, fresh out of the package very sticky.. more so than H3N com and prov.  However, tackiness disappeared after about 30 minutes and never came back :(. 

I agree fully. But I am not sad, it is still a joy to play.
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2021 at 5:05pm
I've seen some japanese reviews of this rubber and it based on that I think it comes close to D09c in properties.
The mentioned sweet smell by Hans is for me very concerning that this is also a factory boosted rubber. Usually H3 or Yinhe Big Dipper has this really yucky smell, but my Hovering Dragon didn't have it and it was still factory boosted, so it might be a similar booster.

That being said good on Victas for using a chinese manufacturer instead of ESN and still managing to create D09c caliber rubber. From what I can tell it is somewhat lighter than the ESN counterparts, and I bet the sticky nature of it is better too. I have no insight on this but I most likely the manufacturing costs of the TDE in China are much less than ESN counterparts so good on Victas for having the balls to make it in China and possibly making more profit.

I hope I can try it one day as it is a truly interesting rubber.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2021 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Zwill Zwill wrote:

I've seen some japanese reviews of this rubber and it based on that I think it comes close to D09c in properties.
The mentioned sweet smell by Hans is for me very concerning that this is also a factory boosted rubber. Usually H3 or Yinhe Big Dipper has this really yucky smell, but my Hovering Dragon didn't have it and it was still factory boosted, so it might be a similar booster.

Unfortunately, your suspicion is very probable. I took  my sheet off the defensive blade and moved it to a Boll Forte. During the process I found that all the latex glue buildup had turned turquoise which is an indication of something coming out of the rubber.

There seemed to be a little drop in performance but it manifested mainly in the control department. This has led me to decide to try and boost it with some Falco. More on my findings after I have tried it.
Jack C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2021 at 7:56pm
Is TDE similar to the old TSP Triple Power?
BTY ZJK SUPER ZLC CPEN/STIGA XX CS
FH: DIGNICS 09C/ H3 NATIONAL
BH: SKYLINE 3-60

My Feedback
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2021 at 9:16pm
Hi,

An exceptionally fine review; a substantive contribution.

Thanks!
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic