Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Penhold Shakehand same blade comparisons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rmdec View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmdec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penhold Shakehand same blade comparisons
    Posted: 07/15/2021 at 11:24pm
I can't find any discussion around this anywhere. I have experience playing both grips, and suspect that the grip style has a noticeable effect on characteristics of blade. Sometimes I'll try to play my paddle one way and then other, but it feels wrong to hold given the gap, shape, handle, etc. I haven't gone out of my way to buy same sets of paddle and install same rubbers to test, so wondering if anyone has done such testing.

To clarify, I'm not talking about whether a blade is good for parts of the playing style (like using wrist or rpb or whatever), but purely mechanical effects.
I've looked online and comments and reviews rarely differ at all for penhold and shakehand versions of products.

Some differences I suspect add up:
- The wings of the blade around the handle often are wider for penhold (to place thumb and fingers).
- The head is sometimes a different shape, often larger, making the blade more head heavy, potentially altering flex/vibration/sweet spot.
- The hand reinforces the center of blade with penhold style. This significantly mutes vibration and sounds totally different, especially if you tighten grip a little bit.

Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic