Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Rosewood VII vs Stiga Emerald

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
annykill2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annykill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Rosewood VII vs Stiga Emerald
    Posted: 07/16/2021 at 2:39pm
So basically I have a local shop that is offering a 50% discount on three popular blades:

Stiga Rosewood VII (89 gram)
Stiga Ebenholz V (91 gram)
Stiga Emerald (94 gram)

I'm coming from an ALL/OFF- setup, and I want to try a somewhat faster blade. Which one of these blades is the best of the bunch in terms of quality and fits my style? What would be the differences in terms of speed and feel?

I really am curious to know what you guys think!
Sponsored Links

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2021 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by annykill2 annykill2 wrote:

So basically I have a local shop that is offering a 50% discount on three popular blades:

Stiga Rosewood VII (89 gram)
Stiga Ebenholz V (91 gram)
Stiga Emerald (94 gram)

I'm coming from an ALL/OFF- setup, and I want to try a somewhat faster blade. Which one of these blades is the best of the bunch in terms of quality and fits my style? What would be the differences in terms of speed and feel?

I really am curious to know what you guys think!

I am not asking but there will be replies asking what is your style any maybe your experience.
annykill2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annykill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2021 at 3:31pm
My style is as follows:

If opponent serves long, I try to open this ball immediately, especially fast serves. If opponent serves short, I go for an aggresive shove into either their body or one of the corners and prepare myself to attack the next (4th) ball.

If I serve myself, I either serve fast and long and prepare for a quick rally. If they chop/shove this ball back I will definitely open it. If I serve short it will usually be with backspin. I am prepared to open the 3rd ball in this case, but if they shove it on my body or short, I will shove it back again and play a more passive rally.

In general I like opening up the rally with a top-spin opening, but also like to block when need be. Sort of all around / offensive.

I play for 3 years, I play around 1600 USATT and am currently focusing on developing my strokes more fully with the usage of footwork.

I currently am playing with the following setup:

Blade: Nittaku Violin Offensive
FH Rubber: Rasanter R48 Max thickness
BH Rubber: Rasanter R45 Max thickness
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2021 at 4:11pm
Table Tennis Blade Reviews and Ratings - Revspin.net there are players evaluations and you can get a quick idea. Emerald is probably better among three.
annykill2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annykill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2021 at 4:29pm
Why would you say the Emerald is better among the 3? Doesn't it seem like the fastest one?
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2021 at 8:27pm
You can compare those ratings in the web I provided. If you want faster only, VII should be. However, I think that those pure wood blades will be out as you can see that all professional players switched to carbon/zylon. In this sense, you can find a good deal in this forum for a carbon/zylon to avoid an upgrade later. The price in this forum is close to what you get from big discount in store since no VAT. Stiga carbonado 145 or 190 are probably a good choice. 
annykill2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annykill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2021 at 5:41am
Thanks for your response and insights!

So basically youre saying the "era" of all wood blades is over, and I should rather go for a carbon+wood combination instead of a fast wood blade?

Maybe I forgot to mention, but these blades are offered at 50% discount in my local shop, which is why i consider picking them up. Do you think the Rosewood VII is faster than Stiga Emerald/Ebenholz in that case?
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2021 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by annykill2 annykill2 wrote:

Thanks for your response and insights!

So basically youre saying the "era" of all wood blades is over, and I should rather go for a carbon+wood combination instead of a fast wood blade?

Maybe I forgot to mention, but these blades are offered at 50% discount in my local shop, which is why i consider picking them up. Do you think the Rosewood VII is faster than Stiga Emerald/Ebenholz in that case?

imho  rw7 is way better than ebenholz.
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2021 at 5:26pm
I wouldn't recommend by any means these blade since they're really demanding for anyone that it's still on his developing stages . These hardwood blade are at least, two steps above your Nittaku Violin,  they can suit to ANY pro player (Xuxin used it in the pastnsnd several pro are still using them).  If you really think to step up then upgrade to anything a bit faster but with conventional plywood such as Limba/Kiri or Hinoki. Rosewood is really bouncy& stiff too.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 07/17/2021 at 5:33pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
annykill2 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annykill2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2021 at 4:51am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I wouldn't recommend by any means these blade since they're really demanding for anyone that it's still on his developing stages . These hardwood blade are at least, two steps above your Nittaku Violin,  they can suit to ANY pro player (Xuxin used it in the pastnsnd several pro are still using them).  If you really think to step up then upgrade to anything a bit faster but with conventional plywood such as Limba/Kiri or Hinoki. Rosewood is really bouncy& stiff too.

Yeah but I'm gonna be picking up one of these blades because they are at 50% discount, I won't immediately be using them. So if I HAD to pick up one since the prices are absurdly low (around 70 EUR), which out of these blades would you say are the easiest to control:

Stiga Rosewood NCT 7 - 88 gram
Stiga Emerald VSP 5 - 94 gram
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2021 at 6:16am
Rosewood V is plenty fast enough, quite faster than any Innerforce. 94 gr blade IMO is too heavy for my liking unless you're a pro. 

Edited by jonyer1980 - 07/18/2021 at 6:17am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2021 at 8:25am
Get the Ebenholz V, ~5.9mm thick.

Rosewood VII is a bit thick(~6.8mm) for a looping blade.

Emerald, essentially Ebenholz V with green Ebony as the top ply, is ~6.3mm thick. Never as popular as Ebenholz V.

Edited by zeio - 07/18/2021 at 8:28am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2021 at 10:02am
Agree with zeio that EV is better among 3 as you listed. Again, you may consider a carbon/zylon blade instead of a pure wood since it is the trend in plastic ball time. In Table Tennis Blades | Tabletennis11.com (TT11) you can pick a any blade with 30% off (adding some rubbers to make 300EUR except those on sale but you can wait next week after the sale ends). If you don't have time to do research, you may consider Stiga Carbonado 145 which will serve you for a long time if you are a "careful" person. The carbonado 145 is the most popular one in China National Team. By the way, I have used EV, RVII, and Carbonado 145 and 190 myself but you should search the forum for evaluations. Butterfly has many good ZLC but it is bit too expensive. It will be long discussion whether ALC or ZLC and 5+2 or 3+2 but I will leave that to you then.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by khmd khmd wrote:

Again, you may consider a carbon/zylon blade instead of a pure wood since it is the trend in plastic ball time.
That doesn't mean to fit him better, just the opposite. Why everyone is so obsessed about fiber or composites blade? Honestly,  I can't get it.
Can you justify me the benefits of any ZLC/ALC over pure wood?
Would you really recommend carbon for a developing 1600 player?

BTW, he's taking about RW sales or EML, not EBZ. 

Edited by jonyer1980 - 07/18/2021 at 5:58pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2021 at 8:49pm
kids start with carbon/zylon blade, it is not really necessary to train oneself with pure wood.
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2021 at 8:52pm
it is more powerful and faster and wood is usually too slow for plastic ball. that is why most changed.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2021 at 3:00am
One thing that the OP needs to understand is that it is not as simple as getting a faster blade. Rosewood, Emerald, and ebenholz are all in the hard top ply blades category which has its own distinct feel. For example It is going to be harder to open with topspin as the harder top ply doesn't grab the ball as well while drives or powerloop works nicely because the force allows you to penetrate the hard top ply and draw the power out of the blade. And sometimes when you get caught out of position(everyone will and does) and couldn't quite put enough power behind the loop to penetrate the hard top ply then you end up with a low quality loop. 
So if your game is centered around opening top spins and rallies they may not be the upgrade you are looking for. But if you want to do third/fifth ball attack then they may be what you want.
I do suspect that these hard top ply blades works better with the penhold grip as the wrist action allows us the hit into the ball to easier. And tacky rubbers where the tack help you to grab the ball better on thinner contacts. 

I don't know about emerald but between rosewood and ebenholz, the ebenholz will have the harder top ply. But the ebenholz v being a five ply blade will be alot more flexible then the rosewood vii. My personal choice will be the ebenholz v as I feel the rosewood vii is too stiff to be a good looping blade. 
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2021 at 1:04pm
I have the RW5 and Gatien Absolum (7 ply ebony top ply). For mainly topspin offense I would take the RW5 or any of the 5 ply version amongst your choices.  For offense that involves flat hit as well, I would take the Absolum as it has adequate loop drive capabilities as well as a very direct and fast characteristics. 
ddoocc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddoocc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2021 at 2:57am
My style is third-fifth ball attack, for me Emerald is the best 5-ply blade I have played so far, it has good feeling, and a huge sweet pot. Because it is a relative thin blade, it is not too difficult to make curve.
 Rosewood is too stiff, maybe good for pips. 

Edited by ddoocc - 08/17/2021 at 3:04am
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2021 at 1:16am

Agree with zeio that EV is better among 3 as you listed. Again, you may consider a carbon/zylon blade instead of a pure wood since it is the trend in plastic ball time. In Table Tennis Blades | Tabletennis11.com (TT11) you can pick a any blade with 30% off (adding some rubbers to make 300EUR except those on sale but you can wait next week after the sale ends). If you don't have time to do research, you may consider Stiga Carbonado 145 which will serve you for a long time if you are a "careful" person. The carbonado 145 is the most popular one in China National Team. By the way, I have used EV, RVII, and Carbonado 145 and 190 myself but you should search the forum for evaluations. Butterfly has many good ZLC but it is bit too expensive. It will be long discussion whether ALC or ZLC and 5+2 or 3+2 but I will leave that to you then.

Never seen a 145 on CNT players but several using 45
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2021 at 1:26am
I am partial to RW7 (certainly over Ebenholz which I struggled with - way too hard), but I also play with short pips in BH so its thicker nature suits me....Looping still plenty possible. It actually isn't that fast in my opinion... 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2021 at 10:53am
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Never seen a 145 on CNT players but several using 45
this is off topic but I have seen club players buying the 45 instead of the 145.  I am of the opinion that if you are not a high level player, you are better off with the 145 if you are looking for offensive qualities and a good level of control.  Any opinions?
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2021 at 3:35pm
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2021 at 3:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic