Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paddle identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sonofsam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonofsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paddle identification
    Posted: 07/16/2021 at 6:19pm
Hello everyone,

I am a new member and i will be very happy if anyone could help me identifying a blade. After many and many searches here and there I am at the same of the beginning, i.e lost. 
Is there anyone who knows the name of that Paddle. All I know, is that seems a Butterfly one

Thanks

Edited by Sonofsam - 07/16/2021 at 6:27pm
Sponsored Links

Sonofsam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonofsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2021 at 4:02pm
nobody knows? At least any clue or anything else that could help

Please

Edited by Sonofsam - 07/22/2021 at 4:03pm
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2021 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Sonofsam Sonofsam wrote:

nobody knows? At least any clue or anything else that could help

Please

The handle looks like pre-made styles that I've seen. I haven't seen a premade that used sriver though from that era

I have a Cypress X that has a similar handle, but it's kind of a strange shape. Not really flared even, more quasi penhold

I also have my original butterfly seemiller with the Branded handle. I got it in 1981 and it has that same decal

Edited by cole_ely - 07/22/2021 at 5:48pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sonofsam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonofsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2021 at 12:58am
Thanks Cole for your reply
What impress me is that the rubbers are still in very good condition that i can make spin the ball. 
Maybe I will write to Butterfly to get more specific informations. 
Do you have any idea how much it could worth a setup like that for selling? 
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2021 at 1:29am
Originally posted by Sonofsam Sonofsam wrote:

Thanks Cole for your reply
What impress me is that the rubbers are still in very good condition that i can make spin the ball. 
Maybe I will write to Butterfly to get more specific informations. 
Do you have any idea how much it could worth a setup like that for selling? 

Well if it's got real sriver and it's in good shape, maybe 50 to 80? Unless it's a better blade than I'm realizing

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2021 at 2:01am
double red...probably pretty old

Maybe worth less. May be very difficult to remove the old rubbers

Edited by cole_ely - 07/23/2021 at 2:02am

ejprinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejprinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2021 at 1:23pm
This is a Butterfly racket, probably from the 1970's. It looks close to my first racket, the Butterfly Boerzey with Sriver rubbers. After 40-50 years, the rubber is like brick. To remove it, google on various options (I recall one post proposed steam through a towel with an iron), I damaged my blade when I took them off. Also my blade was by today's standards an OFF blade (with the current ball) which means at the time it was way too fast for me (with the celluloid ball). So I recommend if you are close to a beginner to start with the usual forum recommended 5-ply wood blade, and inverted rubbers. For example, at princett.com:
and Moon (Soft Sponge) Rubbers:
Shipping from Hong Kong is about 2-4 weeks.
Or go to Coles TT: https://colestt.com/
and buy the 5-ply combo with inverted rubbers (shipped from the USA).

I wouldn't bother trying to resuscitate the dead 40-50 year old rubbers on the ancient blade. You may be able to sell the blade to a collector and use the money to buy a new one :-)
Yinhe 980XX, DHS Hurricane 3 Neo, Nittaku Wallest 1.0mm sponge.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2021 at 1:41pm
Laszlo Foldy was a hungarian player in the 50s and 60s so i believe this is Butterfly's  1 star premade paddle with his name on it...but the premade is from the 1970s

Edited by emihet - 07/23/2021 at 1:43pm
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
Sonofsam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonofsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2021 at 4:52am
Well, thanks everyone

I did not expect to play with it but as the informations are few about it maybe I will give it a try. First I will try to take the rubbers off carefully and put some spare rubbers on it. It seems like everyone says a Böerszey model but without the name I doubt I can sell it for an intersting price. For what I see it is a 5 ply with Hinoki outer ply. It is pretty heavy and stiff. 

Let’s figure it out as soon as I can, maybe it will be too fast for me. Anyway that remains a pretty thing

Edited by Sonofsam - 07/24/2021 at 4:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic