Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DHS Neo Hurricane 3 37°

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BlackCat510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackCat510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DHS Neo Hurricane 3 37°
    Posted: 07/17/2021 at 10:44am

Hello, I’ve recently discovered a new ‘Soft’ DHS NEO Hurricane 3 on table tennis 11 for a very affordable price of about €20 Euros.

https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/dhs-hurricane-3-neo-soft

It seems to be oriented towards the backhand and is perhaps designed to compete with ESN rubbers on the backhand or hybrid rubbers. I have struggled to find information on it, besides on these two threads:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/dhs-neo-hurricane-3-60-sponge_topic72063.html

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/dhs-hurricane-3-37-deg_topic85277.html

The Hurricane 3 neo #60 seems to be a well received rubber, but given that there is fairly little about this rubber to find, I have some questions about it. 

I am an intermediate level junior player (not club player) who wants an inexpensive, durable, high arc backhand rubber to use for (mainly) high looping, flicking, backhand service and spin in general. I would pair it with a regular Neo Hurricane 3 on the FH on a cheap 5 ply all wood blade (the Fireblade Shinai). 

On another note, I’m new to the forums. Is posting the same post on different forums against forum rules or just ‘not done’? Should I have posted this in an old thread? Thanks for the advice.

1. Is the DHS Hurricane NEO 3 #60 sponge the same rubber as table tennis 11 is selling (The Hurricane 3 NEO 37 soft). Or is that a separate thing? 
  2. If they are the same rubber, is that rubber good for looping? Is it spinny? The first thread mentions it is excellent for looping, but I would like to hear other opinions, as I will use the rubber mainly for looping, flicking and serving. 
  3. Does the Hurricane 3 37 soft have a high throw angle (high spin to speed ratio)? I have had a few low throw rubbers recently on both forehand and backhand and it was difficult to loop, because the ball went into the net or off the table. Is the throw angle similar to the regular Hurricane 3 Neo? 
  4. Is the Hurricane 3 37 soft durable? I don’t really want to change rubbers often (I don’t have a need to, as I play for fun), so I don’t want a rubber that loses all its grip in a month. Is it tacky?
  5. Is the rubber too slow to use on a slow 5 ply blade, even if I use a long backhand stroke and hit aggressively? 
  6. How would this rubber compare to ESN hybrid rubbers, such as the Nittaku Sieger PK50 or Yasaka Rakza Z? Are they worth the more expensive price? I don’t want to spend more than £35 a rubber, but if they are much better than the soft Hurricane then I would buy them. 
  7. Can the soft Hurricane 3 37 chop well on the forehand? Does it chop better than the normal Hurricane? That’s not really important, but I was just wondering if I could use it on the fh of my modern defense setup?

Thank you very much for any replies, it is very helpful and I am very grateful for the advice!!!!

Blade: Xiom Power Hinoki (J-pen)
Fh: Nittaku Fastarc G1 (Red, 2.0mm)
Sponsored Links

Chairman Meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chairman Meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2021 at 1:12pm
1) H3-60 has a totally different sponge from H3-37°. H3-37° has a regular, orange H3 sponge in 37° hardness. H3-60 has a springier sponge (called #60), the same as is used with the Tinarc rubbers (I think). I haven't seen H3-60 available anywhere for a few years now, so you may not be able to find it unless you go to China. There's another rubber called Skyline 3-60 which is commonly available and is probably the closest to H3-60 that you can find easily. I don't know how it plays, though.

2) They are not the same rubber but both should be good for looping, as expected from H3.

3) I haven't used enough rubbers to make a judgement on the throw angle of H3-37° compared to the average. However, this question really just seems like an extension of question 2, so see the answer for that. The throw angle of H3-37° is similar to regular H3-neo but it may be a little higher due to the softer sponge.

4) The durability depends on you. How picky are you? I've used one sheet of H3-37° regularly for about a year and was OK with it, though performance suffered towards the end. Some people probably would have thrown it out after 3 months. As is natural, it will lose some tackiness over time. It loses a lot of tackiness in the first week, but that is good. It's too tacky straight out of the package. After the first week, it stabilizes and stays at roughly the same level of tackiness for a while, though it still loses some over time. My 1 year old sheet of H3-37° is still somewhat tacky, though it has lost the grip in the places where the ball bounces the most and the sponge has been worn out in the middle. If you are only spending 20 euro on the rubber and are a casual player, it won't hurt to buy it and try it out and see how long you can use it. If it doesn't last, you only lose 20 euro compared to 60+ for some other rubbers.

5) I will avoid answering this because my definition of a "slow" blade is probably very very different from most other people's definitions.

6) I've never used the rubbers you've listed but my opinion is that H3 is a good rubber and there's not much point in spending more for a better rubber (which might just be a better tier of H3) if you're a casual player. However, there are many different types of rubber, and H3 may not be the best type for you. The other rubbers you listed are very different from H3. It's up to you to find out which type works best for you and your playing style. You can try out other people's rackets or buy lots of rubbers if you have money to burn. It takes some time to figure out what you like best.

7a) I don't know about forehand since I use my H3-37° on the backhand, but in my experience it can chop pretty well. It's definitely very different from chopping with other rubbers, though. It will take some practice to get a consistent chop with H3, or any offensive oriented rubber for that matter. I find that you can get lower, more dangerous chops with H3 than something like Tenergy, but that may just be because I almost never use anything besides H3. I do use H3 on the forehand as well, but it's 41°. I very rarely chop on the forehand but it works fine if I do.
BlackCat510 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackCat510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2021 at 7:26am
That was a very helpful and thorough answer, thank you. Sounds like a very suitable rubber for what I need.
Blade: Xiom Power Hinoki (J-pen)
Fh: Nittaku Fastarc G1 (Red, 2.0mm)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic