Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sponge necessary or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xxNarsilxx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxNarsilxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponge necessary or not?
    Posted: 07/19/2021 at 6:25am
Hello everyone,

Now im kinda beginner(not total), im using Butterfly pre made TimoBoll Black with wakaba rubber. 

I wanna go custom made. My blade has cca 1mm sponge under the wakaba rubber. I read this is for better control. 

I was watching Ovtcharov on YT how to glue rubber and he used no sponge. As it seem to me. Now here im noob as i have never used custom made and never held only rubber in my hand.

Is this sponge part of rubber if thickness is 1,9mm or not? Is this sponge needed? 
I dont wanna buy something extravagant, so on one side i wanna use Flextra on other Roundell. Same thickness i guess. 

Thanks for any input at all.
Sponsored Links

Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2021 at 5:31pm
Hello,

I think you're a bit confused which is understandable. If you want to use inverted rubbers like Ovtcharov in his video you need sponge. Thankfully mentioned Flextra and Roundell rubbers come with a sponge by default. I would recommend you to chose the maximum available thickness of the sponge. With Butterfly that is 2.1mm. I understand you are a beginner player, (you should never call yourself a noob, that is insulting even if you call yourself that), I would not recommend the mentioned rubbers as they are not really good for modern table tennis. I would recommend Rozena in case you want to follow Butterfly as a brand and get a very high performance rubber which will help you learn modern table tennis. If you are not locked on Butterfly as a brand, there are a million choices. Tibhar Evolution FX-S I think is an excellent rubber for beginners.

Hope I helped you, neighbour.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2021 at 5:51pm
Sponge is a part of an inverted rubber. There is thin (1.0-1.5 mm) medium ( 1.5-1.9 mm) and thick ( 1.9-2.3 mm) sponge.

did an experiment trying both Coppa 1.1 and Mark V 1.0. I never tried something thinner than 1.7 before. Both rubbers offer amazing control+f eeling and would be perfect for a beginner but also for an intermediate or advanced control player. I was surprised I could do everything that I do with Tenergy 05/64 2.1 just at a slower pace.  thick sponge is definitely not neccessary especially for a beginner.

Edited by Skyline - 07/19/2021 at 6:00pm
xxNarsilxx View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxNarsilxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/20/2021 at 4:10am
Thank you both. As an amateur i always used Butterfly even 16 years ago and like wife and car i would never switch rubber haha. 

Okay i will take your opinions into consideration thank you very much for explaining to me about this.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2021 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by xxNarsilxx xxNarsilxx wrote:

Thank you both. As an amateur i always used Butterfly even 16 years ago and like wife and car i would never switch rubber haha. 

Okay i will take your opinions into consideration thank you very much for explaining to me about this.

You'll find the modern  butterfly equipment is as expensive as either
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic