Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I like these NextLevel shoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TTDennis View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTDennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I like these NextLevel shoes
    Posted: 07/19/2021 at 3:52pm

I came across these when I searched for litest (& laceless) basketball shoes to protect my ankles
And if you are close to the table player like me, these may be better than table tennis or badminton shoes.

I like the one in black better but not sure where I can buy it locally 

I could even get NextLevel to autograph my sole (not soul LOL)  

Edited by TTDennis - 07/19/2021 at 3:59pm
Sponsored Links

Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2021 at 5:14pm
Sorry to inject my skepticism, but if you think some really weak elastic cloth is going to protecty your ankle in table tennis you are gravely mistaken. If there is some trickery in the midsole or sole of this Adidas shoe then it might be OK to use (for basketball). But otherwise I would not touch it for table tennis (or basketbal) with a 10 meter stick.

To protect the ancke you need some negative angle. (in cars it's called camber, not sure how to convey that on a shoe)

This will actually protect your ankle lingaments and on top let your angle bend freely to the side, which is super important for some shots.
I believe Mizuno table tennis shoes are constructed the same way. I wonder why so many pro players use Mizuno and Li ning shoes...
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2021 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Zwill Zwill wrote:

Sorry to inject my skepticism, but if you think some really weak elastic cloth is going to protecty your ankle in table tennis you are gravely mistaken. If there is some trickery in the midsole or sole of this Adidas shoe then it might be OK to use (for basketball). But otherwise I would not touch it for table tennis (or basketbal) with a 10 meter stick.

Are you saying that the LiNing and Mizuno shoes have the correct design [camber] or not?

Also I fully agree that Igor's probably found a new account. Ludicrous shoes to wear for TT.

Edited by Basquests - 07/21/2021 at 11:16am
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2021 at 11:28am
Pretty sure post was mostly tongue in cheek, given that shoes are called N3xt L3v3l, and one of the most prolific posters (and now a moderator) has NextLevel forum name.

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2021 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

Are you saying that the LiNing and Mizuno shoes have the correct design [camber] or not?

Also I fully agree that Igor's probably found a new account. Ludicrous shoes to wear for TT.

Yes, I'm saying that they have the right design. It's quite common to have issues with the calcaneofibular and talofubular ligaments in tabletennis, you don't even need to sprain your ankle. If your shoes don't support sideways movement you might have issues down the road.

Having the right shoes is much more important than the struggle to determine which is the best between MX-P or Tenergy or Rasanter etc... Not just from a health and safety standpoint, but well fitting shoes actually allow you to be where you need to be on time, help you to be in the right position and transfer your power from your legs into the ball.
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/22/2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Zwill Zwill wrote:

Yes, I'm saying that they have the right design. It's quite common to have issues with the calcaneofibular and talofubular ligaments in tabletennis, you don't even need to sprain your ankle. If your shoes don't support sideways movement you might have issues down the road.

Having the right shoes is much more important than the struggle to determine which is the best between MX-P or Tenergy or Rasanter etc... Not just from a health and safety standpoint, but well fitting shoes actually allow you to be where you need to be on time, help you to be in the right position and transfer your power from your legs into the ball.

I agree.

I've had a partial ligament tear that has kept me out off sports the entire year and still needs some more rest.

Ligament connecting the plantar plate to the sesamoid.

I use badminton shoes, they have more cushioning, technology and support, especially as badminton has greater forces involved than TT.
mahuJrmex View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahuJrmex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2021 at 6:25pm

badminton has greater forces involved than TT.

Please explain how
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/24/2021 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by mahuJrmex mahuJrmex wrote:

badminton has greater forces involved than TT.

Please explain how
The jumping/landing and lunging in badminton puts a lot more stress / forces on your lower limbs, which is what we are talking about [shoes/cushioning etc].

You are jumping and lunging several times a minute in badminton. 

In table tennis, we do a lot of sidestepping, but not much lunging, and jumping is rare. All of these actions are exhausting over time, but sidestepping is less rough on your general leg health [ligaments, joints etc].

Jumping and lunges are why the cushioning is thicker in badminton shoes. Finally, I've played a few minutes of badminton in TT shoes [Wave medal 5's, which are thicker than many TT shoes], and it's a one way street - TT shoes are painful to wear when playing badminton. But not vice versa. This is a common experience.

This isn't just my opinion, there's a whole mechanism to this, and you can find out more by reading the opinions in this thread:

This is why TT shoes are often lighter than other court shoes - the extra cushioning isn't necessary, and for high performance players / people who don't know better, this is certainly stripped out.

In my ligament injury [occurred during badminton, not the TT which I was playing a lot more, but sure would've contributed], the sports dr and physio fully agreed that I should be transitioning back by easing into TT, then into competitive TT, before attempting to start badminton. They are aware that there is a lot of being on your toes and forces in TT, but still less rough than badminton.

Edited by Basquests - 07/24/2021 at 9:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic