Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pros: slow blades?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rollko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rollko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pros: slow blades?
    Posted: 09/28/2022 at 7:03am
Hi all,

There seems to be a trend with pros using not-so-fast blades, inner carbon or simple Viscaria constructions - as opposed to something heavier duty like Primorac Carbon. There had been some speculation that the new plastic balls would see surge in use of Primorac Carbon's and the like, but that doesn't seem to be happening

Why do you think this is the case? Is that because we have, at the same time, seen a shift away from Tenergies into tackier rubbers (Dignics 09c in particular) and those work a bit better with more woody-feely flexible blades?
Sponsored Links

ddoocc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddoocc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/2022 at 10:46pm
To play safety in the close range game, the ability to generate a safety arc is important, fast blades usually has lower and flatten arc which has lower error margin in close range game. 
Also, slower blades usually performs better in serving/receiving/counter loop. 

Edited by ddoocc - 10/14/2022 at 10:47pm
dingyibvs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingyibvs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2022 at 6:16am
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

Hi all,

There seems to be a trend with pros using not-so-fast blades, inner carbon or simple Viscaria constructions - as opposed to something heavier duty like Primorac Carbon. There had been some speculation that the new plastic balls would see surge in use of Primorac Carbon's and the like, but that doesn't seem to be happening

Why do you think this is the case? Is that because we have, at the same time, seen a shift away from Tenergies into tackier rubbers (Dignics 09c in particular) and those work a bit better with more woody-feely flexible blades?

Not just slower blades, but slower rubbers too.  The D09C which replaced many Tenergies is slower, and the H3/H8's that also replaced many Tenergies on the BH for many Chinese players is also slower.

The reason IMO is because the new ball is not only slower, but less spinny.  I may be biased in this assessment, but I just started playing again after an 8 year hiatus and what struck me the most about the new ball was its lack of spin.  I actually didn't really notice any decrease in speed, but the flatter curve of topspins was more striking.  It seems to me that the pros also felt that the speed/spin ratio is off and that it's more critical to get more spin out of your equipment.
Blade: Hurricane Long 5 (968) FL
FH: D09C max
BH: D09C max
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2022 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Rollko Rollko wrote:

Hi all,

I think many went to faster blades with slower(really stickier) rubbers on forehand so I can't entirely agree with this.  In addition, do realize that Butterfly (and possibly) other blade makers had slight changes to their blades in response to the new ball, so some blades while having the same name as their predecessors, might be slightly faster.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Creek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2022 at 5:27pm
Sorry, but I’m a little sick of people, telling that Viscaria is a slow blade…
Viscaria is too fast for 90-95% of all table tennis players out there and most of those who play with it, would be much better with using a slower blade. 
Yes there are extremely fast blades like primo carbon, but even almost no pros played and will play with those bricks ( even Timo, who honestly has one of the best touch in history, switched back to his alc). 

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2022 at 10:15pm
Viscaria is a pretty fast blade, people decided that with the advent of the plastic ball, viscaria could be demoted to the allround level, it’s silly; even the all wood Nittaku Violin (best ever middle of the road) is not slow. 

The Nittaku Monophonic is/was slow. The Stiga Allround classic is slow. Slow blades are Good for you to keep the ball on the table. They are best to stay in the rally. Those who enjoy long controlled rallies will prefer slow blades. They help much in serving too.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2022 at 6:54pm
It really depends on what you pair it with. Usually ppl go for fast blades + slow rubbers or slow blades + fast rubbers. Only ppl with crazy good touch can go for fast blades + fast rubbers, and only ppl with crazy good power generation, anticipation and footwork can go with slow blades + slow rubbers imo. One of the ex provincial players played with 968 + double side hurricane which was the slowest setup ever but in his hands he was still producing rockets with the highest spin and speed out of everyone playing...

Edited by blahness - 10/16/2022 at 6:55pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2022 at 7:06pm
For me, the plywood combination of blades like Viscaria (koto - ALC - limba - kiri core) is the best ever created, specially when limited to 5.7mm or 5.8mm of thickness.
When combined with hard ou semi-hard tensioned rubbers they perform their best.
I´ve tried blades made of 5 plies, 7 plies, 1-ply hinoki, hard carbon, soft carbon, glass fiber, Arylate, Zylon... the list goes on. But nothing beat the Viscaria type blades in my opinion.
waingro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waingro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2022 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Creek Creek wrote:

Sorry, but I’m a little sick of people, telling that Viscaria is a slow blade…
Viscaria is too fast for 90-95% of all table tennis players out there and most of those who play with it, would be much better with using a slower blade. 
Yes there are extremely fast blades like primo carbon, but even almost no pros played and will play with those bricks ( even Timo, who honestly has one of the best touch in history, switched back to his alc). 

Quite opposite: Viscaria can be used by 90-95% of players out there when paired with appropriate rubbers. I don't think anyone is saying it's slow, but Viscaria was released ~30 years ago in the 38mm celluloid era. Today, it's OFF- speed. Viscaria with an entry-level Tensor rubber is fine for beginners getting training. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2022 at 12:19am
Different people prefer different feel.  I think it is more about feel and spin for most modern players than about outright speed.  Pros definitely know how to generate pace.  Some prefer longer dwell time, some shorter.  

I am a rather mediocre player, but I ended up making a full circle when I moved to higher altitude.  When I was at sea level, I played with the Mazunov.  Now that I live a bit over a mile higher than that, I went back to the old Stiga Alround with the squarish handle I like.  I need a little more of an arc up here.  First, the ball was going a bit slower, but once I readjusted to the feel of the allround blade, noone is complaining that my loop is too slow.  I am sure it was faster with the Mazunov, but we are talking about tranistioning  between OFF+ and AR blades.

Most pros seem to play with OFF- to OFF blades.  That is not as big of a difference as everyone makes it out to be.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Omut View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Omut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2022 at 11:02pm
With the introduction of 40+ balls professionals start to play with faster blades. With the current fashion of hybrid (ala Dignics) rubbers professionals switch to even faster blades. Quite the same for choppers. I talk about best national European male players.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic