Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Istvan Jonyer - The Greatest Sidespin Looper Ever
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Istvan Jonyer - The Greatest Sidespin Looper Ever

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TTM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Istvan Jonyer - The Greatest Sidespin Looper Ever
    Posted: 02/02/2023 at 6:33am
Here is the story of one of the all-time greats of table tennis - Hungarian legend Istvan Jonyer, who won several gold medals at the World and European Championships.

Sponsored Links

Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2023 at 6:01am
I played against him in the World Cup. The strongest  topspin I ever encountered.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2023 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Twiddler Twiddler wrote:

I played against him in the World Cup. The strongest  topspin I ever encountered.
so we do have an ex high level player in our forum
jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2023 at 11:37am
There is a lot of mispronunciation of player names in this video. Is the audio computer generated?
Lightspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2023 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

Twiddler was former top 20 in the world I believe.  He is also still a phenomenal player. 

Also Joyner was a monster.  Look at all the titles he won in that video.  Amazing. 
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 5:39am
Originally posted by Lightspin Lightspin wrote:

Twiddler was former top 20 in the world I believe.  He is also still a phenomenal player. 

Also Joyner was a monster.  Look at all the titles he won in that video.  Amazing. 
yes we need strong players on the MYTT team, I mean forum
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 11:37am
It was the 1984 World Cup in Malaysia. Unfortunately we both were knocked out in the group stage and were only playing for the final placing. I lost 2-1. In my group I won the 1st game from J-O Waldner and had a decent lead in game 2 best 2 out of 3 match. Xie Saike was also in my group and he beat me pretty easy.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 11:41am

It was the 1984 World Cup in Malaysia. Unfortunately we both were knocked out in the group stage and were only playing for the final placing. I lost 2-1. In my group I won the 1st game from J-O Waldner and had a decent lead in game 2 best 2 out of 3 match. Xie Saike was also in my group and he beat me pretty easy.

Are you eric boggan?
TTM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 12:25pm

You're Danny Seemiller, right? It must have been a great experience to play against these legends. Clap
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

There is a lot of mispronunciation of player names in this video. Is the audio computer generated?

Yes, it is Matthew. Look up "text to speech".
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 1:37pm
Dan Seemiller
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 3:32pm
hey Dan, I stopped by ths South Ben TT Club in Dec.  Nice club but heard you retired as the coach.  You don't  know me, but I heard you were coaching there. 

Edited by tom - 02/04/2023 at 3:35pm
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 3:36pm
Yes, after 26 years with the South Bend club. I still do a little part time coaching.
peopl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peopl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 4:01pm
Wow, then you are one of those legend yourself! We are indeed lucky that you post here. 

Maybe you would tell us then how to understand what Ovtcharov answered when asked about Ma Long's spin. Note that the answer was hardly about spin. Ovtcharov: "He waits so long. [...] He would wait and would look where I am. And at the last moment he could actually still play it fast or very slow. So he always changes his spin, his rythm, his placement, and that's what makes it so difficult.

How can one wait and look, and then decide, and then deliver, all in a split second? 

How to have so much time to play?

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by peopl peopl wrote:

Wow, then you are one of those legend yourself! We are indeed lucky that you post here. 

Maybe you would tell us then how to understand what Ovtcharov answered when asked about Ma Long's spin. Note that the answer was hardly about spin. Ovtcharov: "He waits so long. [...] He would wait and would look where I am. And at the last moment he could actually still play it fast or very slow. So he always changes his spin, his rythm, his placement, and that's what makes it so difficult.

How can one wait and look, and then decide, and then deliver, all in a split second? 

How to have so much time to play?

I'm not Twiddler but I can give an answer - a lot of it comes from Ma Long's footwork but also the depth of his backswing.  His backswing positioning is so deep that he can hit the ball with power in multiple directions with his forehand and in many parts of his hitting zone.  Usually most people backswing to a point where they can hit the ball with power in one direction.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2023 at 5:25pm
The key is being able to wait until the last moment and know when that is.
The most common problem for table tennis players is not using up the amount of time they have on a particular stroke and going early. Learning where "late' is and using up the available time is a valuable and learned skill.
peopl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peopl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2023 at 1:35pm
Many thanks, NextLevel and Twiddler, for shedding some light on using the time to make a stroke. We won't be Ma Longs, but there's one more element of the game to consider and train. 
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2023 at 8:02am
Jonyer was my favorite player back in the day.  Loved his backhand. 

Note to self, read Twiddler’s posts seriously. 
NoFootwork View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoFootwork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2023 at 8:05am

Hi Dan.  Did you ever play against Tibor Klampar.  If so, who did you find more difficult to play against, Joyner or Klampar?
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2023 at 2:58pm

The legendary Dan Seemiller has been an active member of this forum since 2011 (at least):
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2023 at 5:18am
I played them both. They were each very difficult so too hard to choose.
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2023 at 3:42pm
Yep, the pronunciation is awful, an insult to those players.
A bit like spelling Jonyer as 'Joyner' (or Bengtsson as 'Bengston' which you hear/see a lot)

Mind you, watch old Chinese videos and they peonounce Stipancic as 'Sooty-pan-chi-chi' which always make me laugh.

Edited by zzzuppp - 02/13/2023 at 3:43pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2023 at 3:54pm

I played them both. They were each very difficult so too hard to choose.
How was to play xie saike what was the hardest stroke he had?
Twiddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2023 at 4:30pm
Xie Saike was a left handed pips out hitter with excellent serves. 
 His fh and unusual style made him difficult in many ways.

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2023 at 10:14am

Xie Saike was a left handed pips out hitter with excellent serves. 
 His fh and unusual style made him difficult in many ways.

What do you mean with unusual?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic