FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

CUTTING RUBBER!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2007 at 3:36am
u know, the best cutting material is an office utility blade, the smaller one used for cutting cardboards and styrofoams... glue the rubber onto the sheet and cut from one isde of the blade to the other side following the edges of the blade, only one direction pls.. try no to change the angle of the blade when cutting as this would produce uneveness on the sponge.. also try to cut the rubber on a table or platform that is a higher than your waistline.. do not cut too rapidly nor cut using too much force this will produce jagged edges on your sponge
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
Sponsored Links

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2007 at 1:42pm
I've used scissors all my life professionally (hair business and garment industry). I'm damn good with those things, but I never tried cutting my rubbers with scissors. I'm not saying it can't be done, because clearly it can be done and is done well by some of our players posting here. I need to try it, but that's a wee bit of an investment and risk. I got to get the proper sheers ($15 w/s+h), and what rubber do I experiment on? Many users would be happy to see me chop up my anti-spin. LOL
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 3:25pm
Yesterday, I used my X-Acto knife with soapy water and cutting gradually (2 or 3 traces to go all the way through the rubber). Very nice cut!

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 4:11pm
Use scissors and don't worry too much how it looks. I try not to use the edges anyway. You usually find that the better the player, the less time they spend worrying about how tidy the edges of their rubbers are.
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 5:25pm

MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2007 at 5:26pm
I use those 'safety' razors.  Why they call them safety, I'm not sure as they are not safe at all.  I sliced my finger pretty deeply as a kid cutting TT rubber.  Only made that mistake once.  To this day, that is still what I use.  VERY clean and perfect cut.

MTMT
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 10:06pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3KtN9fNb5Y

theres the vid i promised :)
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 10:43pm
That video makes it look so easy, really.

Is that all there is? I expected (you) to have to cut a few times, but with just one passing you did a really good job. Was the blade lubbed?
Seattle, WA
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 10:44pm
Thanks!!!!! Wow, you make it look so easy. I'm going to Staples to pick up those blades. :-).
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 11:38pm
lol thnx guys, flattered me:)
newaiz, no, the blade was not lubed. one pass, just hold the blade firm and hold down firm. i don't think they sell the small kinds like the ones i use at staples, try looking in asian stationary stores, most trendy ones will have them.
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 11:41pm
You might as well use multiple passes though, just in case. I know for a fact for me, I require multiple passes, and with the blade lubed. Without, it tears the sponge, even with a sharp blade. But it might depend on how much rubber cement you used. For your video, was that for speed glue?

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2007 at 11:50pm
i primed it with 3 layers of elmers then used 3 layers of speedglue. otherwise i find it over expands later on when i speedglue it and i have to cut it again and it looks like @%!@
a11291994 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a11291994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 12:19am
You should put the rubber on the blade and cut it around the blade from the opposite side the rubber is facing.
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 12:25am
isn't that what i did? lol
leunkx1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leunkx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 12:32am
Use the scissor for gardening(the one for cutting small branches for chinesse bon yai). It is sharp. Cut the rubber along the edge with the blade. It is easy and and has a very clean edge. I did it all the time. Keep the scissor for cutting rubber only. After few times, sharp the edge of the scissor with the knife file, especially before cutting the rubber. The result is unbelievable. 
KAM
Shalashashka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shalashashka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 12:38am
*OT* sry but did the kid in the background say something about money in canto to the mother?
Extra Rorin.
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 12:39am
yah my lil bro was counting up his money to put into the bank lol
PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 12:49am
Originally posted by a11291994 a11291994 wrote:

You should put the rubber on the blade and cut it around the blade from the opposite side the rubber is facing.

Could someone explain?
Seattle, WA
fatcomet View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatcomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 1:01am
haha nice blade in the video
PhilsterT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilsterT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 2:36am
Oh wait...that's so intuitive I overlooked the meaning. Why would you ever cut the rubber from the side that the blade doesn't support?

Wha...?
Seattle, WA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic