Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galaxy LQ-1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
isean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galaxy LQ-1
    Posted: 06/13/2011 at 3:36am
What can advise on FH?
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 11:01am
I think the reason you're not getting an answer is because you haven't told us enough for us to make any kind of informed decision.  How do you want to play with it?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 11:31am
Cole could you please describe more about this blade like, thickness, ply construction, head size etc. I've been using the Matsush*ta Pro and MPS and now that its discontinued I've been looking for viable options.
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 11:39am
I am not Cole, but I have been using this blade for a couple of years now. I have 3 of them. Excellent quality. Large head (some chinese rubbers-ie 1615 are not long enough to cover the height of the blade). Stiffer with less flex than the LQ-2, but still chops and blocks very well. Put a fast sheet of rubber on your FH and combine with good technique and you will be hitting some winners. IMO it requires decent technique-you can't just hold it out there and get the ball back. Blocks well. OK feel, not the best but certainly good enough IMO. I believe it is 5 ply.

How good is this blade? Its so good it has numbed my EJing blade behavior for a couple of years. 
isean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 12:19pm
Excuse me, I play to modern defplay. FH - topspin. BH - long pips OX.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 6:34pm
From what I know of matsushida, this is nothing like it.  I'm sure others know more than I, but my understanding of that blade is that it was quite fast and had like carbon arylate.  Something like a timo boll spirit oversized maybe?  Actually, I think I heard it compared to klh.

Lq1 is an oversized w6.  W6 is equivalent to a yasaka extra.  Not as fast, no composite.  The oversized head makes the tone lower, giving it a more defensive feel.  But speed wise it remains about the same as w6 from what I can tell.  It's not slow, but it wont do the work for you.  This would be a more traditional, or purists approach.  This is something a lot of hardbatters like.

The matsushida would be considered a more modern style blade, with more abiility to hit winners from compromised positions esp off the table.  Certainly you could say it was a more advanced  blade to be able to use I think.  I am pretty sure the lq1 will feel a lot slower to you, if nothing else.

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

From what I know of matsushida, this is nothing like it.  I'm sure others know more than I, but my understanding of that blade is that it was quite fast and had like carbon arylate.  Something like a timo boll spirit oversized maybe?  Actually, I think I heard it compared to klh.

Lq1 is an oversized w6.  W6 is equivalent to a yasaka extra.  Not as fast, no composite.  The oversized head makes the tone lower, giving it a more defensive feel.  But speed wise it remains about the same as w6 from what I can tell.  It's not slow, but it wont do the work for you.  This would be a more traditional, or purists approach.  This is something a lot of hardbatters like.

The matsushida would be considered a more modern style blade, with more abiility to hit winners from compromised positions esp off the table.  Certainly you could say it was a more advanced  blade to be able to use I think.  I am pretty sure the lq1 will feel a lot slower to you, if nothing else.

I have the LQ-1, Mat Pro and Mat Pro Special.  I have used them all.  Li Qian used to use the Mat Pro (not Mat Pro Special), so Galaxy made LQ-1 based on this blade.  Mat Pro is the one without carbon-arylate layers and it's a lot slower (and a lot cheaper) than the Mat Pro Special.  LQ-1 is slightly larger in size than Mat Pro (which is already oversized) and the handle is very comfortable.  It's also slightly faster than Mat Pro.  It's an excellent blade for modern defense.  Worth the price.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2011 at 12:01am
Wow, great info.  Thanks for that clarification Robin.  I never heard of the all wood version.

aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 4:16pm
Is LQ1 faster than Defplay? 
Does it match well with Chinese rubber like H3?

Defplay was pretty good for me. But my elbow injures and could do 60% power. My loops are too slow.
I tried Mat Pro Special. Now FH is ok but BH is too fast. 
Any blade in between?

Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 10:42pm
Aroon , used the pro special, you will need your FH , go with a slow LP on your BH like a P4 or a Feint 3, the JSH blade works great

Edited by Chopper88 - 05/14/2016 at 10:44pm
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2016 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Chopper88 Chopper88 wrote:

Aroon , used the pro special, you will need your FH , go with a slow LP on your BH like a P4 or a Feint 3, the JSH blade works great
I'm doing short pip chopper with Spinpip Chop 2. Is any SP slower?
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2016 at 1:15am
Didn't know you were using SP, I think that is the slowest SP, let me know if you want the to try LP
aroonkl View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aroonkl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2016 at 3:26am
Originally posted by Chopper88 Chopper88 wrote:

Didn't know you were using SP, I think that is the slowest SP, let me know if you want the to try LP
Thank you very much for offering. I have some LPs but could never get over the twiddle thing when  they put my chops back to BH.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic