Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chop Serves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
- Sai - View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote - Sai - Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chop Serves
    Posted: 10/01/2007 at 5:15pm
Hi, I was wondering how to do chop serves a la Ma Lin: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v8advrudYZs

I probably won't be able to get as good as that, but I want at least 3 or 4 bounces. How do you serve like that?
Sponsored Links

dr Loop View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr Loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2007 at 5:42pm
well if you had to rely on ping pong for a living then i'm sure you can serve like that.

practice makes perfect.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2007 at 6:55pm
there is another post on this topic... with good advice from other people. you can search
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2007 at 9:36pm
Before you start doing what Ma does, learn spinning the ping pong ball with your paddle. Go to a coach nearby and get some help from him.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2007 at 11:45pm
varghesep is right, for me i try to spin the ball on the carpet, try out different things, like different contact points on the racket,m ore high up or lower to the tip, then i  try different contact points on the ball, see what happens.

cause lately all my backspin serves have been atttacked cause they lack  spin. now when i know the feeling of contact point, the guys always loop or smash to the net! WOOHOOOO
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2007 at 4:53pm
I have been practicing these heavy underspin serves for an hour every day since I saw that intense video.

Some tips for heavy underspin:

Important: contact the ball IN FRONT, with an upward motion.  You'd be amazed how much angle you can get away with - angle the paddle like this: / hitting -> this way.  The right contact with the ball sucks it foward while adding spin.

Keep the blade near your hip, don't move it downwards as the ball descends.  Moving it down makes your serve less consistent and reduces spin.  Park the blade near your right hip (behind body from opponent's POV) during the toss.  As it nears your hip (or wherever you like to toss, make sure you use the same toss here as with other serves) come forward, underneath, and up, experimenting with contact height to reliably put the ball close to the net.

When you start practicing, keep your wrist stiff and use your forearm only.  A loose wrist builds more spin but is harder to get consistent intially - too many variables.  Using the forearm can still generate enough spin to bring the ball back into the net.

Very important to keep the serve low - if your underspin is too high, opponent can flick it back and its coming back to you loaded with topspin.  You can serve so the ball bounces on the other side and actually bounces back over the net back to you, but this is too high (though its good to practice this as well to develop control)  Height is probably more important than spin, but they complement each other - your contact is going to take away downward momentum and turn it into spin + a little forward momentum, if you don't eat up enough downward momentum or put too much forward momentum, it will be high or go into the net.

Practice with low tosses, but once you've gotten consistent, a high toss does a lot of the work for you, the spin is noticably greater with 5 foot + tosses.

Try to generate pure underspin intitially.  My contact wasn't perfectly parallel to the direction of motion in the beginning, so the ball would come back diagonally into the net.  Once you have pure underspin, you can mix it up with the same motion and add sidespin, tending into corkspin.

Practice this, you'll have a blast.  I can't do it like those ghost serves but the balls reliably bounce a few times on the other side, then come back hard into the net as the underspin kicks in.

Once you're done, practice adding deception (haven't done this yet myself)
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2007 at 4:55pm
Oh yeah: maximize ball contact with rubber.  You want to time the hit so the ball starts at the forward edge of the paddle and is spun with the whole length of the rubber.  Taking it in the middle or near the opposite edge produces less spin (technique for deception here?)

You'll know good spin by the sound: a crisp chocking sound.  Good rubber helps but I can do it with our beat up pre-mades we keep for guests.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic