FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ball height during serves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2013 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Champion yes, but I've never heard of Peace. Is it manufactured in Korea?

Peace has been around for decades. They make several TT products.

The balls...

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2013 at 8:56am
Originally posted by chu_bun chu_bun wrote:

One thing is for sure, the ball won't be anywhere near its terminal velocity falling 4, 5 feet down.  I believe the initial speed adds some spin but not much.  Racket speed at contact point may be the more dominant factor.  By the way, I hate people that serve from their hand with little or no throw (I know it's not legal, but half of the people at my club serve that way.  You look like a whiner if you start complaining about it).

Over here in Korea amature clubs, you are a whiner if you complain about illegal serves. It is club play and even in amature tourneys, complaining gets you nowhere. What you gunna do, try to gripe to teh tourney director? All he'll do is replace the scorekeeper. The old-school crowd has been playing in such a way for decades and some rule change at ITTF isn't gunna change how they play, period. In a way, it makes sense, I don't like hidden serves form Div 1 players they use to get advantage, but in their perspective, it is all good. They are here and here is their place, so why should I go overboard about it?
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2013 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

The balls...

Are the Peace balls really good, really cheap, or both?  I assume it's 1 of the 2 if they are used 90% of the time - unless they're just loyal to the hometown company.  How do they compare to some of the other brands?
Does anyone sell these in the US?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 1:42am

Over here in Korea amature clubs, you are a whiner if you complain about illegal serves. It is club play and even in amature tourneys, complaining gets you nowhere. What you gunna do, try to gripe to teh tourney director? All he'll do is replace the scorekeeper. The old-school crowd has been playing in such a way for decades and some rule change at ITTF isn't gunna change how they play, period. In a way, it makes sense, I don't like hidden serves form Div 1 players they use to get advantage, but in their perspective, it is all good. They are here and here is their place, so why should I go overboard about it?

My response to this is quite simple.  Before they changed the rules, I was very good at hiding my serves.  I practiced it a lot.  I used to study the way Gatien did it and I spent hours trying to figure out how to do it the same way.  So, when people insist on serving illegally, I respond in kind.  The ball comes from somewhere under my left elbow and people have told me it is quite challenging to see the ball hit my paddle.  I find it very useful in China, where the culture on serving is pretty much the way you describe it in Korea.

Just for nostalgia's sake I enclose a great match.  Small balls.  Glue.  Hidden serves.  Two great players. Jump ahead to the 3:00 mark so see Gatien's hidden serves from the front view.

Edited by Baal - 02/18/2013 at 1:44am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2013 at 11:07am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

The balls...

Are the Peace balls really good, really cheap, or both?  I assume it's 1 of the 2 if they are used 90% of the time - unless they're just loyal to the hometown company.  How do they compare to some of the other brands?
Does anyone sell these in the US?

Peace *** tourney balls are solid performing balls. You know what you are getting. They feel solid and heavy enough, but of course are regulation weight. I would compare them to 2X fish in terms of feel. They are supposed to be made in Korea, but since I haven't exactly taken teh factory tour, I wouldn't know.

Peace balls crack just like any other brand of 40 mm balls.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic