Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FH chiquita - new world first technique

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FH chiquita - new world first technique
    Posted: 02/25/2021 at 4:44pm
After experimenting for a long time I think I finally cracked the code in terms of heavy spin generation for the FH chiquita...

You start with an open blade (assuming against underspin), and then lift your right elbow while closing the blade. The blade goes from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock in a clock in the vertical plane. The lifting of the right elbow is a the key mechanism that closes the blade and gives you quite a lot of spin. It feels like elbowing a guy in front and can be quite a powerful mechanism which will allow you to brush the ball heavily to create heavy sidetopspin just like a BH chiquita. Similar to BH chiquita you have to go around the ball diagonally to increase dwell time. 

Similar to the FH flick you need to rotate your body slightly into the shot it's not just an arm stroke. 

The only downside is that it looks like chickenwinging and is not the most aesthetic stroke lol. It's not as powerful as a BH chiquita yet but I feel it's already superior to the FH flick owing to the extra spin and stability. This movement can also be used to do some devastating over the table powerloops of half long balls, if you manage to get more body rotation into it. 

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2021 at 5:28pm
Video or it didn't happen. Wink
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2021 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

Video or it didn't happen. Wink

I might actually do that next time I play haha... super fun stroke to learn! 
-------
Viscaria

TwiddleDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwiddleDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2021 at 7:38pm
I will attest to this stroke. I stumbled upon it a few years ago when I was trying to flip a short underspin serve to my forehand. It looks awkward, but doesn't feel awkward. I was amazed how easy it was to lift very heavy underspin. No, I can't post a video. Hopefully, blahness will do so. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2021 at 8:06pm
-------
Viscaria

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2021 at 9:59pm
Japanese penholders have been doing FH banana flip side swipe of underspin serve since the days when Daniel Boone ws a Buck Private.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2021 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Japanese penholders have been doing FH banana flip side swipe of underspin serve since the days when Daniel Boone ws a Buck Private.

Hey that's unfair, I know penholders have been able to do this FH chiquita stroke for a long af time.... this is more an innovation for shakehanders Tongue
-------
Viscaria

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2021 at 7:55am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Hey that's unfair, I know penholders have been able to do this FH chiquita stroke for a long af time.... this is more an innovation for shakehanders Tongue

No it isn't.
You simply haven't seen it much where you are located or you just weren't paying attention.
It's always been part of TT players' armoury of strokeplay.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2021 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

No it isn't.
You simply haven't seen it much where you are located or you just weren't paying attention.

Lol I've watched a shit ton of videos both pro and amateur and I haven't come across this stroke before. Would love to see any video where a guy does this FH chiquita (note that it's not your normal FH flick, the mechanism is almost completely different)
-------
Viscaria

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2021 at 10:12am

No it isn't.

Lol I've watched a shit ton of videos both pro and amateur and I haven't come across this stroke before. Would love to see any video where a guy does this FH chiquita (note that it's not your normal FH flick, the mechanism is almost completely different)

Sorry I am not attacking you. I am just pointing out that your lack of experience in viewing TT greatly affects your outlook.
YouTube videos reflect a very tiny fraction of the amount of competitive table tennis that takes place daily. And no, I am not going to waste time trying to find videos demonstrating all the FH flippy stroke and its variations

Players have used FH and Bh flip for donkeys years. Especially during the hardbat era, players were inventing all sorts of strokes using different grips. Flipped balls over the table BH and FH was very common. The coming of the sandwich bat changed the main emphasis to loop based play at the top level.
However, as styles vary each year, it may make a comeback.
If you really want to do the FH chiquita, look at how players side/topspin around the net. Now try that same stroke from an over the table position > Voila! FH Chiquita!

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2021 at 4:14pm

No it isn't.

Sorry I am not attacking you. I am just pointing out that your lack of experience in viewing TT greatly affects your outlook.
YouTube videos reflect a very tiny fraction of the amount of competitive table tennis that takes place daily. And no, I am not going to waste time trying to find videos demonstrating all the FH flippy stroke and its variations

Players have used FH and Bh flip for donkeys years. Especially during the hardbat era, players were inventing all sorts of strokes using different grips. Flipped balls over the table BH and FH was very common. The coming of the sandwich bat changed the main emphasis to loop based play at the top level.
If you really want to do the FH chiquita, look at how players side/topspin around the net. Now try that same stroke from an over the table position > Voila! FH Chiquita!

That's not a FH chiquita in the video, it's your bog standard FH flick....
-------
Viscaria

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2021 at 4:32pm

No it isn't.

you actually are. You are belittling his effort to bring value and you are taking him down because somehow you are second guessing him as somebody who wants to show off a knowledge that you think he does not have. You go from reach to reach, all as negative as the next one while he is sharing the fruit of his thoughts in the most positive way, that's  just my thought as a member.

WAY TO GO BLAHNESS, YOU ROCK!

edit: this does not lower the high opinion I and all have of your own knowledge of the game Tinykin, I know in advance I'll be interested when I see a post of yours I have not read yet, either way it's never dull with you! I do appreciate having that guarantee about people, it's not that common, they make life interesting.

Edited by stiltt - 02/26/2021 at 9:28pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2021 at 7:58am
Thanks stilltt, you, mickd, Basquests and a few others bring a much valued positive vibe to the forum which can be sometimes quite lacking in this forum. I sometimes wonder if TTD is better in this respect....
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2021 at 1:55am
Used it today during practice games and it was a bit meh for serve receive, the few times I used it, it was blasted right back at me off the bounce even though I thought I made quite a good quality FH chiquita. Granted the other player had a very strong forehand (penhold) and usually giving penholders topspin balls to their FH is a quick way to lose points, against someone with a weaker forehand or even a lefty it would pro bably work much better. It was, however the sideunderspin version (the fake flick which looks almost identical to this FH chiquita) which got a lot more points because everyone keeps thinking that it is sidetopspin lol.... I guess in real matches I will use the sideunderspin version until they prove that they adjusted to it, then throw in this sidetopspin version to really confuse them. 

I think it basically has to be part of a FH receive system that includes a fade receive and short push. The fade receive is still the best because it goes to the opponent's normally weaker BH - and if they try to pivot then the FH chiquita will really get them. 

Where it is a lot more effective is actually finishing off higher short balls on the FH side. The advantage that this has over the normal flick is that you get to go over the ball during the followthrough and produce a good arc just like a mini loop, thus improving consistency significantly. 
-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2021 at 7:42pm
When I first saw the post, I completely misinterpreted it because I thought you meant a BH chiquita from the FH side haha. I was trying so hard to interpret what you meant and now that you've posted the video, I realize you you meant the a FH chiquita. And yes, I know you wrote FH, my brain just automatically read it as BH LOL

I've never tried it or seen it, but it does look interesting. I think the closest I've seen is the around the net shot that people like Adam Bobrow do.

I'm really bad at doing non-conventional things since I'm the type that needs lots of practice to be able to do even a simple stroke, and I haven't been able to practice much at all recently!

By the way, I want to say as well, KEEP POSTING if you have any ideas or thoughts. These posts help keep the forum alive and invites very valuable discussions that can benefit people of all levels. And even if something has been discussed a year or two ago, I don't think it hurts to bring it back as well (this is a general thought of mine, not about this post because I haven't seen this discussion during my time on myTT). Sometimes new ideas, new thoughts, and new ways to talk about the idea are born from repeated discussions like that.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2021 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

When I first saw the post, I completely misinterpreted it because I thought you meant a BH chiquita from the FH side haha. I was trying so hard to interpret what you meant and now that you've posted the video, I realize you you meant the a FH chiquita. And yes, I know you wrote FH, my brain just automatically read it as BH LOL

I've never tried it or seen it, but it does look interesting. I think the closest I've seen is the around the net shot that people like Adam Bobrow do.

I'm really bad at doing non-conventional things since I'm the type that needs lots of practice to be able to do even a simple stroke, and I haven't been able to practice much at all recently!

By the way, I want to say as well, KEEP POSTING if you have any ideas or thoughts. These posts help keep the forum alive and invites very valuable discussions that can benefit people of all levels. And even if something has been discussed a year or two ago, I don't think it hurts to bring it back as well (this is a general thought of mine, not about this post because I haven't seen this discussion during my time on myTT). Sometimes new ideas, new thoughts, and new ways to talk about the idea are born from repeated discussions like that.

Thanks mickd for the encouragement :) yeah the movement is actually very similar to a FH sidespin hook loop. It's actually coming from the fake flick series which I've been developing and using (where you do a quick downwards push and then followthrough with a flick movement). Since then I've improved it so that the "flick" component is a chiquita rather than a normal flick on both wings, I found that it improves stability (more topspin = more margin for error) and deception quite a bit (coz opponents can detect the lack of brush in the flick to read it, the chiquita is also brush heavy so it looks more similar to the push). So essentially there's two variations that look very similar, one produces sideunderspin and one produces sidetopspin, depending on whether the "push" movement is true or fake. 

In my circle there's a lot of weird af playstyles which turn out to be highly effective...I'm not the only one who has nonconventional strokes haha. The best player in my circle who wins many tournaments (inverted FH, long pip BH) has a lot of unconventional strokes too (for eg long pip chiquita, strawberry) that drives people playing him crazy haha... I think in the amateur world where footwork and strokes are not optimised that well, there's actually a lot of room for innovation, and being unconventional is usually a huge advantage especially if you also possess an effective FH loopkill to finish off any loose balls. It's also quite fun to use these strokes and bamboozle people LOL

Edited by blahness - 02/28/2021 at 8:22pm
-------
Viscaria

Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2021 at 10:36am
Watched several tibor Klamper’s play, his backhand technique is popular now, hopefully some players will learn from his forehand too.  More wrist and forearm, less body. Looks not very comfortable thou but works great for the long time legend player

Edited by Robin.w - 03/01/2021 at 10:44am
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2021 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Robin.w Robin.w wrote:

Watched several tibor Klamper’s play, his backhand technique is popular now, hopefully some players will learn from his forehand too.  More wrist and forearm, less body. Looks not very comfortable thou but works great for the long time legend player

What does that have to do with the FH chiquita haha....
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic