Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reading serves from new players

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reading serves from new players
    Posted: 03/12/2021 at 6:17am
I find it really weird being a fairly good server, that during matchups with new players on my level I kind of fall victim to their serve patterns and take something like maybe 5 sets to adjust and read their serves properly. It's a lot harder especially when the serve is not a standard looking serve and has some unique movements. 

How do you adjust to new serves quicker?
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2021 at 9:55am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I find it really weird being a fairly good server, that during matchups with new players on my level I kind of fall victim to their serve patterns and take something like maybe 5 sets to adjust and read their serves properly. It's a lot harder especially when the serve is not a standard looking serve and has some unique movements. 

I'd say with commitment. It seems your attitude is too intellectual at show time. Analyzing in between your matches presents 2 people in one: the player and the self coach. Those 2 need to merge in a match and need to fully trust each other and go for it. The number of errors will be less than if they confer too much and one bashes at the other in between points. 
I am sure you developed a technique in returning serves where you see paddle trajectory, contact location, swing speed and how much wood contact was applied. If there is too much of thinking about those factors it will take more time to adapt to newer serves. If we trust a technique and an approach that we know as valid, there will be a few mistakes but they will be more a question of reading spin which is a normal struggle v. new players.

Note: inspired by "the inner game of tennis"
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/12/2021 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

I'd say with commitment. It seems your attitude is too intellectual at show time. Analyzing in between your matches presents 2 people in one: the player and the self coach. Those 2 need to merge in a match and need to fully trust each other and go for it. The number of errors will be less than if they confer too much and one bashes at the other in between points. 
I am sure you developed a technique in returning serves where you see paddle trajectory, contact location, swing speed and how much wood contact was applied. If there is too much of thinking about those factors it will take more time to adapt to newer serves. If we trust a technique and an approach that we know as valid, there will be a few mistakes but they will be more a question of reading spin which is a normal struggle v. new players.

Note: inspired by "the inner game of tennis"

Hmm yeah I tend to want to analyse the serve to see how it works, and sometimes when I don't have a good read I kinda don't have a good plan :( 
The hardest ones are those who disguise the serve very well just like me, where it's almost the same blade angle for different serves, and you actually have to read the direction of force applied.

I reckon if I played against myself I'll be disgusted by myself too and only have a 50% success rate in receiving serves...
-------
Viscaria

obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/13/2021 at 2:16am
You need to get the VR game ELEVEN and practice in there! Get an exposure to tons of players and see how their different serves go. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2021 at 7:58am
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

You need to get the VR game ELEVEN and practice in there! Get an exposure to tons of players and see how their different serves go. 

What is that?
-------
Viscaria

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2021 at 9:35am
If you are missing receives aim for the center of the table to give yourself maximum room for error until you start to figure them out.
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2021 at 9:34pm

Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

What is that?

The virtual reality game eleven! Look up ttdailys review on it a short while ago. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic