Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Good video on forehand topspin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good video on forehand topspin
    Posted: 04/07/2021 at 8:50pm
Also teaches the technique of wrapping the ball. 

Edited by blahness - 04/07/2021 at 9:03pm
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2021 at 9:17pm
The video seems to be very educational, but the english closed caption is really bad and hard to understand sometimes. But I think it is probably the best tutorial video about drive-loop so far.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2021 at 10:20pm
Is there a backhand drive-loop video from this coach?
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2021 at 10:51pm
I like this video since Coach Meng tells one important idea of using wrist instantly. Most coaches will tell you to keep your wrist straight. It will be very difficult to add the wrist properly since it maybe need to change the grip, blade angle, swing direction... Meng was national champion of china and from Heilongjiang province, a traditional high level team. He has  great fundamental knowledge and always keeps eyes on the new development of table tennis technique, also willing to share .

Edited by Robin.w - 04/07/2021 at 10:57pm
JediJesseS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJesseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2021 at 11:22pm
Great videos, thank you! I've found if you're relaxed in the shoulder and arm, using leg weight shift for the force, this is the natural path of movement and you don't have to "try" and execute it. Because of the ball and socket joints in the hips/shoulder the path of the arm around the body is circular and upwards, around the ball.

I think it can be misleading for newer players to think they have to manually wrap the ball somehow because they interrupt a natural swing with added movement and tension.

You can learn to accentuate the gathered energy into the ball in different ways once the basic movement is working. But generally it seems the less we interrupt the natural body and arm momentum the better.

Edited by JediJesseS - 04/07/2021 at 11:23pm
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2021 at 11:40pm
This one is he talking about  new development of backhand. More hit through, less wrapping, right after bounce

Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Edited by Robin.w - 04/07/2021 at 11:41pm
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2021 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by Robin.w Robin.w wrote:

This one is he talking about  new development of backhand. More hit through, less wrapping, right after bounce

There's more hitting here but you still have to "wrap" and create an arc as he demonstrated in the video, ie you bring the ball up then press it down "like going over a mountain" or "a rice ball" as per the translation xD
-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 12:01am

This doesn't talk about the wrapping but it's the exact same principle as for the FH wrapping. He talks about doing the sideways backswing rather than from below which is the more advanced technique these days. 

-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 12:08am
Originally posted by JediJesseS JediJesseS wrote:

Great videos, thank you! I've found if you're relaxed in the shoulder and arm, using leg weight shift for the force, this is the natural path of movement and you don't have to "try" and execute it. Because of the ball and socket joints in the hips/shoulder the path of the arm around the body is circular and upwards, around the ball.

I think it can be misleading for newer players to think they have to manually wrap the ball somehow because they interrupt a natural swing with added movement and tension.

You can learn to accentuate the gathered energy into the ball in different ways once the basic movement is working. But generally it seems the less we interrupt the natural body and arm momentum the better.

Hmm it might be natural for some people, but for many it's not. For me at least, my stroke was designed from the ground up, I didn't just use what felt natural, what felt natural was in fact wrong and inefficient for me LOL
-------
Viscaria

Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 12:37am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

There's more hitting here but you still have to "wrap" and create an arc as he demonstrated in the video, ie you bring the ball up then press it down "like going over a mountain" or "a rice ball" as per the translation xD

He was explaining the difference between  the old style  and the new improvements. Creating an arc vs right going forward.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 12:57am

I think this caption was done by the guy who translated anti-spin for friendship on the back of 804
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 1:02am
Really enjoyed these coaching videos. Most of them not really talked by anyone before.

Coach Meng was a chinese champion before LGL and KLH, and he once owned a club that ML and LXX used to play. It is really nice that he shared so much real CNT techniques.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 1:44am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I think this caption was done by the guy who translated anti-spin for friendship on the back of 804

Lol yeah it's super funny to read the translations LOL

Mickd might be able to give us a bit more context Smile

Edited by blahness - 04/08/2021 at 1:45am
-------
Viscaria

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 10:12am
Quite some good videos from Coach Meng, including serve and serve return. 

JediJesseS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJesseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 1:50pm

Hmm it might be natural for some people, but for many it's not. For me at least, my stroke was designed from the ground up, I didn't just use what felt natural, what felt natural was in fact wrong and inefficient for me LOL

I don't mean natural as in easy or the first thing you try. I mean the uninterrupted flow of how the body mechanically wants to work. It's actually very difficult to move and swing naturally! We are used to consciously controlling and interrupting our body's movements. It takes a lot of relaxation, timing, and experience.

Why do the movements of top athletes always look so smooth, so effortless? But yet they generate so much power! They add the momentum (usually through some kind of leg drive) and then let the rest of the body whip around, intervening as little as needed. For us the arm ideally just "follows" from the power we add elsewhere.   
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 4:34pm

I don't mean natural as in easy or the first thing you try. I mean the uninterrupted flow of how the body mechanically wants to work. It's actually very difficult to move and swing naturally! We are used to consciously controlling and interrupting our body's movements. It takes a lot of relaxation, timing, and experience.

Why do the movements of top athletes always look so smooth, so effortless? But yet they generate so much power! They add the momentum (usually through some kind of leg drive) and then let the rest of the body whip around, intervening as little as needed. For us the arm ideally just "follows" from the power we add elsewhere.   

Totally agree.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 4:43pm

Yeah in that case I agree, the correct stroke does feel effortless in the arm (but definitely very hard on the legs!)
-------
Viscaria

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 8:38pm
I assume that for non-sticky rubber, this drive-loop forehand is less effective and less powerful?
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 9:46pm
From my understanding, Sponge hardness matters more.  If the sponge is too easy to penetrate, the shot quality will be lower. It’s also easy to start from soft sponge to improve the stroke and timing. Lots of Chinese pro players’s review on T05 : easy to play with, but difficult to score ( difficult to kill the opponent).  They just work harder and harder to adapt to the 41,42,42.5 degree Hurricane.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 9:52pm

I assume that for non-sticky rubber, this drive-loop forehand is less effective and less powerful?

Not really true, you can use the exact same technique for nonsticky or sticky rubber, it doesn't really matter. Good technique is good technique.
-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 10:04pm
Hey. I love his videos. I saw the forehand one awhile back. Maybe blahness linked it or someone did, or maybe I just saw it in my feed haha. If there's a specific bit you guys want me to look at if the translation is hard to understand, let me know!

I remember thinking the English was understandable, but a little off when I saw the video awhile back.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2021 at 10:50pm
How could you increase the wrap time for this loop? I assume if you start slowly to hit the ball, you will have longer wrap time, but it will sacrifice speed. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2021 at 9:29pm

Actually there's this - it talks about the wrapping in the BH - basically the same principle as the FH.

-------
Viscaria

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2021 at 10:44am

How could you increase the wrap time for this loop? I assume if you start slowly to hit the ball, you will have longer wrap time, but it will sacrifice speed. 

Yeah you have to start slow to learn the spin contact, once you have it, just increase power gradually and you'll get to a true powerloop (which is done with overwhelming spin and not just speed)

Edited by blahness - 04/11/2021 at 10:44am
-------
Viscaria

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic