Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SG blades - new hand-made blade maker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SG_Blades View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SG_Blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SG blades - new hand-made blade maker
    Posted: 05/16/2021 at 11:48pm
Hello to the forum members.  A friend of mine makes fine furniture and has his work in some galleries, and I thought he might be able to make some fine table tennis blades, so we talked and he decided to give it a try.  He searched the internet for info on what types of wood to use, the thickness of the layers, and proper weight for a blade.  I told him 85g is usually a typical weight, so he has made several blades in the 85g - 90g range, but this is one of the latest blades he just made that is 7 plys and it weighs a little more at around 95g.  I will be posting more pics of some of the other blades as well, but for now here is a pic of his 7-ply blade.

Sponsored Links

SG_Blades View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SG_Blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2021 at 11:55pm
Here is another blade he's made.  It's 5 plys with a thick balsa core with 2 medial plys of Ipe, and 2 outer plys of black limba.  This blade weighs about 88g, and would be between Off- to a slow Off blade.

SG_Blades View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SG_Blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 12:00am
This one is a 5 ply balsa with a thick balsa core, Ipe, and Yellow Cedar.  It weighs around 88g and would be an Off blade.  This blade is fast, but the yellow cedar has a good feel.  Yellow cedar is in the same class of wood as Hinoki.

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 11:40am
Hey, send ol' Tommy Zai a combination blade to test and review damn it!!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
SG_Blades View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SG_Blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 12:22pm
We haven't made a combination blade yet...but once we do we might send one out for testing

flipper View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 2:17pm
I have hit with some SG blade demos and they all felt great.  I am currently playing with a 7 ply mahogany blade that is probably off- or all-around+.  I like the weight of 99 grams compared to a couple others that are 91 grams because I have LP on one side.  
All of these blades are very high quality.  I have a BBC that I love but these SG blades may be nicer.  The handles feel great and all of them that I have hit with have great control and they feel solid in addition to looking great.  
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 10:48pm
Now I need one. ;-)
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
SG_Blades View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SG_Blades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2021 at 11:32pm
I will attach more pics of some of the other models.  There are mostly 5-ply balsa blades, but there are also several blades with a Kiri core, Mahagony medial plys, and Rosewood outer plies.  They are also probably All+ to Off-.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic