Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane 8-80 review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zwill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Zwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane 8-80 review
    Posted: 06/18/2021 at 6:14pm
This rubber was released around May 2021 by DHS and it uses the Hurricane 8 topsheet with the new #80 sponge in 37 and 38 degrees. They promise that this combination gives the player more feeling with a lighter weight.

It comes in the well known DHS 3-50, 3-60, H8 paper packaging, it does not have any glue layer or boositing applied by the factory. Corners are cut of course (wouldn't worry about this), the sponge has the most pronounced ridges I've ever seen by any company. I really am curious how they slice the sponge sheets to get this effect. Not sure if this has any benefit for us end users. I actually wish DHS applied the glue layer without the booster. (I wish all companies did this, it just makes applying rubbers so much faster and better, not to mention I think in factory enviroment they can have better control than we do)

During my great venture from transition from Calibra, Airoc, Mantra rubbers to chinese I used H3-50, Yinhe Moon Speed as a transition rubber. So I have some experience with hybrid types and H8-80 I would consider as a hybrid as the #80 sponge feels like a bit harder Rozena sponge.

I tested the rubber with a Joola Vyzaryz Trinity blade as I find this blade works really well with rubbers that are better with an open racket angle and chinese rubbers are exeptionally good with open racket angles. My main comparison will be with Mantra Hard and Rozena. Stiga Mantra H is an excellent rubber on backhand with open racket angles, and Rozena is a like the little bro of the well known Tenergy 80.

H8-80 is my first encounter with the H8 topsheet, and out of the package the topsheet has huge stickiness. It can lift the ball forever... I never had this kind of stickiness with H3 topsheets or 729 B2 or Big Dipper.
As mentioned before DHS promises lighter weight, I can confirm that uncut weight is around 64g, cut it's around 48g. This is a touch heavier than Rozena, and on par with Mantra H. H8-80 sponge has small pores, feels more elastic than Rozena, similarly elastic as Mantra H but, during play it is much softer than Mantra H.

Speed
I feel with 40+ plastic ball speed and control is the king, not spin. I tested with (new logo) Joola Flash ball, I can say that low gear game H8-80 is faster than both Rozena and Sitga Mantra H. Against incoming spnin it has a higher rebound angle deviation than both Rozena and Mantra, but you can get used to it. The sponge is crisper and more transparent than Rozena, and especially compared to Mantra. Mantra has a rather hard to bottom out sponge.
Medium gear is similar to Mantra, bit faster than Rozena.
High gear is not that fast Mantra H as H8-80 bottoms out on the blade and it becomes wonky. It looses its higher throw angle and you can hit the net. It's not terrible but certainly one needs to get used to the characteristic.

Spin
I'm not sure that backhand is capable to generate sufficient motion to generate crazy spin with sticky rubbers. I honestly don't think sticky rubber actually are generating more spin than grippy rubbers. I feel that Rozena and Mantra are capable of generating more spin and more dramatic arc on both fore and backhand than H3 or H8-80. I just feel like stickyness actually holds the ball too much and doesn't let the rubber do it's wind-up and release effect, like it happens with grippy rubbers. What I like about sticky rubbers is that they don't let the ball fall down so much from the rubber, which is probably the same effect that doesn't let the rubber generate more spin.

Control
This is where I believe sicky rubbers are unbeatable, and H8-80 is a good combination with a spring sponge type sponge with sticky topsheet. The topsheet is very stable while the sponge just gives the nice catapult effect. If you don't like this catapult effect actually Stiga Mantra is a really great option. It's super stable rubber while the sponge doesn't take over your shot. H8-80 sponge has a nice catapult effect, really similar to Rozena. Over the talbe touch control is great, banana flick no problem with H8-80.
I'm a lefty, and people avoid my forehand like the plague, so for me backhand is crucial. Having a great and manly block is absolutely essential and H8-80 is fantastic for it. You don't have to worry about racket angles too much, just that you have to make sure you press down the ball. I do it with my elbow, almost the same mostion as with Mantra. Mantra sponge can soak up more speed, but H8-80 is really good too. Quick short movement backhand exchanges are great because of the catapult effect with H8-80.

Shortcomings
I think H8-80 pairs better with hard surface blades. Koto I would imagine would be better than limba. So a Viscaria I think is superior combination than my Trinity. But I will keep giving the rubber more hours, I think Trinity is not a bad combination just needs more practice (possibly higher level too).
Rozena also felt better on a Viscaria type blade than on the Trinity.
Wish it would be even a touch lighter, 48g is like the higher limit for a BH rubber. I do care a lot about racket weight, and it is a bit absurd that my forehand B2 golden is 46.6g, why my backhand is 48g.
No glue layer by factory.

Personal positive notes
No bad smell
Probably durability is excellent like all DHS rubbers. Even after 1 year of absolute hell, Chinese rubbers perform excellent, with class leading grip. Chinese rubbers die on me by bubbling up. But after a year of absolute hell that I give them this is a huge positive.
Doesn't shrink like ESN rubbers.

Blade recomendation
Hard surface blade is recomended. Koto, rosewood... VIscaria type blades I would really recommend to be honest.
Limba could be OK.
Hinoki? I didn't test but I don't think so.

For 30USD from Aliexpress this is a pretty good rubber for backhand. Much better than H3-50, or any 37deg H3 versions. It's not for flashy play, it's a professional rubber to get +1 point in your favor.

If you're not that much into tacky rubbers on backhand, or have not much strength there I would really recommend Stiga Mantra, or Rozena from Butterfly. And I'm not a huge fan of ESN rubbers as the shrink and wear like there's no tomorrow, but the good old Vega Asia is a good backhand rubber. These are all around 30-35 USD from Ali or Prott.

Just as a PS, one of my teammates played with Tenergy 05 fx, and he used those until they were really worn, now he just bought 2pcs of T19, boosted them with Revo No3 booster and they do feel spinnier than a worn 05fx but not by huge margins. It's actually really dissapointing. Save your money for stuff that matters more, like good shoes or vitamins / supplements. Improve your body, and skills instead. Rubbers are to serve your needs, your body is still the dictator.
Sponsored Links

Jack C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/2021 at 5:42am
Nice review mate! Good work
BTY ZJK SUPER ZLC CPEN/STIGA XX CS
FH: DIGNICS 09C/ H3 NATIONAL
BH: SKYLINE 3-60

My Feedback
darkmoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2023 at 7:27am
With all honesty, I'm sorry but I found it difficult to take the review seriously when I saw the claim that grippy rubbers like Rozena or Mantra are generally spinnier than sticky rubbers like H3, plus the theory behind it.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2023 at 9:09am
I think the OP was directing that comment in relation to backhand rubbers. I would guess that most amateur players could generate more spin on the backhand wing with Rozena than with H3. Clearly H3 has the highest spin potential of nearly any rubber on the forehand wing. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
darkmoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2023 at 1:42pm
OP was referring to both forehand and backhand.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2023 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by darkmoor darkmoor wrote:

OP was referring to both forehand and backhand.

I think he was referring to it being used as a BH rubber mainly. Most amateurs won't be able to have power generation levels enough to use H3 to its full potential on the BH side.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2023 at 10:15pm
While I am no longer working with this company, I would be remiss not to link to this review.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
darkmoor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2023 at 4:46pm
Yes, Patrick, thank you for a very good review. I was hoping to find another review, from someone who used this rubber on backhand, as I was considering getting it for my backhand side.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic