FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Hottest Ping Pong Coach in Vegas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
cagaragesales View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 10:26pm
? Swiffers... you must be referring to the old portion of this thread... the ones that were written back in Feb 2007 to Feb 2008? This is a pretty old thread...
Sponsored Links

Rubberneck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubberneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 4:24am
Well, I just started playing a couple of years ago at the West Covina TTC.  Then, I moved to Glendale and only played sporadically at the YMCA.  About 6 weeks ago, I started playing on Wednesdays at the Pasadena TTC and sometimes on Sundays at the Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys TTC.  I stopped playing badminton, because my ankles were giving me too many problems and pain, but it's what I've played more than anything else, ever since high school (was on the HS team for 3 years).  I haven't played in about 4 or 5 years.  Back then, I was playing in Glendale on Mondays, Burbank on Wednesdays, Arcadia (high school) on Fridays, and at Almansor Park on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays.   I've played at a bunch of other places, too, but those were my regulars.  After high school, almost 20 years ago, I used to play at ELAC, Cal State Long Beach, Diamond Bar HS and Mt. Sac.  I used to play at Citrus College, too. 

I'm not that good at TT, compared to most, but I'm ok.   I was most certainly better at badminton, but I'm not sure any more.  I may take you up on your offer, though!  It'll be easy to spot me, as I'm one of the few
Caucasians playing badminton.  It's usually a gym full of Asians and me.  I've even been recognized by random strangers, before.  I was once at Wal-Mart in Glendora, at midnight, and an Asian man came over to me and said, "hey, aren't you the badminton player?"  I didn't know him, but he recognized me!  How much is it at SGBC, now?  It used to be $7, for non members.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 7:54am
Are you still living in Glendale? I'm from Diamond Bar and there's a free community park/center with 3 butterfly centerfold tables that I play at on Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday. SGVBC is $5 for table tennis. Still a college student and $5 is a bit too hefty for me for table tennis. Walnut Gym is also available for $1 a night.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubberneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 4:09pm
Do you guys also play Badminton, when you guys go to SGBC?  I'd like to do a little of both, as it's been a long, long time since I've played and I love it. 

Yeah, I still live in Glendale.  I moved here from Covina, about 1.5 years ago.  I've lived in Covina, my whole life.  Since you're in Diamond Bar, you might like to give the West Covina TTC a look, as they meet 3 times a week and it's only $20 for 3 months or $75 for a whole year, and if you pay for a whole year you get a free Butterfly T-shirt!  They've got 5 tables: 3 Centerfold 25 Sky tables and 2 Europas.  I went a couple of weeks ago and it sounded like the president was going to sell the tables, which are still in excellent condition to some Koreans running a club in the OC and was planning on buying new tables for the WCTTC.  The president is also a Butterfly dealer and gives club discounts.   It's my favorite place to play, but it's too far to make it during the week.  They've got a website you can check for playing times.  $5 and $6, which is what I pay, whenever I don't play at the YMCA, is too expensive for me, too, especially after coming from the WCTTC, where it's incredibly cheap.  Some of the guys from there also play in Walnut Rec Center, where I hear they've got like 18 tables.  All of those tables were sources through Ken, the president at WCTTC. 
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 4:19pm
They've got a website you can check for playing times.  $5 and $6, which is what I pay, when I don't play at the YMCA is too expensive for me, too, especially after coming from the WCTTC, where it's incredibly cheap.  Some of the guys from there also play in Walnut Rec Center, where I hear they've got like 18 tables.

Please check out our new LATTA club if you have a chance...  It's in El Monte and we are open 24/7.  Yearly membership fee is $380; not exactly cheap, but then you will get your money worth if you play a lot!   Smile

Regards,

William Lin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubberneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 6:21pm
I know about that club, but have never played there.  I know people that play there, though.  People are always telling me to go check out "Tawny's" club, but unfortunately, it's location is a little bit inconvenient for me, as there is always traffic moving east in the evening, and I can't go play, until my wife gets home.  I'm sure I'll make it there, eventually, but it wouldn't be a regular thing, especially since I've got placers that are much closer.  Plus, some nights I dedicate to swimming or racquetball at the YMCA, which I'm already a member of, and I don't want to let that one go to waste, as it's quite expensive (but super close).
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 6:29pm
I played at the one table tennis place in Koreatown in LA. Olympic Table Tennis Center. Nice tables, and nice people if you know Korean. Plus there's hot girls and good food in Koreatown.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubberneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 6:56pm
What if I don't know Korean?  I'm known many Koreans, though,  worked for them, and even had a Korean girlfriend for several years.  Are the hot girls at the club or just in K-Town, generally speaking?  I'm sure, they're too good for me there, though.  (the players, that is)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Rubberneck Rubberneck wrote:

Do you guys also play Badminton, when you guys go to SGBC?  I'd like to do a little of both, as it's been a long, long time since I've played and I love it. 

Yeah, I still live in Glendale.  I moved here from Covina, about 1.5 years ago.  I live in Covina my whole life.  Since you're in Diamond Bar, you might like to give the West Covina TTC a look, as they meet 3 times a week and it's only $20 for 3 months or $75 for a whole year, and if you pay for a whole year you get a free Butterfly T-shirt!  They've got 5 tables: 3 Centerfold 25 Sky tables and 2 Europas.  I went a couple of weeks ago and it sound like the president was going to sell the tables, which are still in excellent condition to some Koreans running a club in the OC and was planning on buying new tables for the WCTTC.  The president is also a Butterfly dealer and gives club discounts.   It's my favorite place to play, but it's too far to make it during the week.  They've got a website you can check for playing times.  $5 and $6, which is what I pay, when I don't play at the YMCA is too expensive for me, too, especially after coming from the WCTTC, where it's incredibly cheap.  Some of the guys from there also play in Walnut Rec Center, where I hear they've got like 18 tables.  All of those tables were sources through Ken, the president at WCTTC.

Thanks for the info Rubberneck! I do travel to various clubs in the area. Been to WTTC many times and I know some of the players from there. Ken I most definitely know. He helped the city of Walnut acquire their 24 butterfly centerfolds. But I'm on a pretty tight budget. Call me a penny pincher, but Diamond Bar (Free) and Walnut ($1/night) is very close to where I live. College budget restricts me to play in those places normally. WTTC's overall level is better though. A good range of players from 1000-2300. Tawny/Crystal's club is good too. Unfortunately, I've only been there twice to play there twice at their Sunday RoundRobin U2000. Place 2nd place both times... (need to hit first sometime soon before I move past 2000) Very nice place, not cheap, but worth it if you're looking to accelerate fast and looking for a professional yet friendly atmosphere. Alphatable tennis in West-Side (close to Santa Monica) run by WeiWang and Gilbert is a great place to play as well as for group lessons. I took at group lesson there once (actually that was the only group lesson I ever took) and thought it was pretty good. I wouldn't mind visiting there again if it weren't for the mileage. SGVBC, I like only because it has badminton and table tennis bundled into one. Walnut has badminton too, but the courts aren't as good.

I'm 1800-1900 for table tennis, and probably Wilson High (Hacienda Heights) Varsity Team high school level for badminton. (Some of my good friends graduated from that school and was on their badminton program).

Some of the WTTC guys go to Walnut and Diamond Bar to play too. The big buff guy Peter plays there. (wait a second.... are you him? I haven't seen him come to Diamond Bar much lately...) Paul, John L, Fidel, Lenny, KW and his sons... my teammate from CSUF, Joe just started going to West Covina because of the higher level players there and since it's closer to San Dimas.

Anyways, grab my number off my website. Give me a call whenever you're in town! I'll introduce you to everyone, or maybe... just RE-introduce them to ya.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by jkillashark jkillashark wrote:

I played at the one table tennis place in Koreatown in LA. Olympic Table Tennis Center. Nice tables, and nice people if you know Korean. Plus there's hot girls and good food in Koreatown.

jkillashark. Where are you from? I know I should have your address somewhere from shipping you a couple of rubbers... but that was back in the days when I didn't use a website to manage my rubber sales.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubberneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 9:56pm
No, I'm not Peter.  The only Peter I can think of from there is the big Lebanese guy that has a hard, flat, slapping smash.  I know who the guys you mentioned are, though.  I think by KW, though, you mean KT, right?  Wei Wang is the leader/coach of the Pasadena TTC where I go on Wednesday.  They also meet on Tuesday and Thursdays, but at $6 a night, once is a week is my limit.  They also have group lesson there, which is only like an additional $7, but again, it's currently not in the budget.  I've never had a lesson, before.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 10:14pm
Yeah. Big Peter. That's the guy. There's also another tall and thin Peter who also plays at WCTTC. But big Lebanese Peter plays at Walnut and Diamond Bar too. I met him at one of Hashimoto's tournaments in Santa Monica a couple of times too!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cagaragesales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2009 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Rubberneck Rubberneck wrote:

No, I'm not Peter.  The only Peter I can think of from there is the big Lebanese guy that has a hard, flat, slapping smash.  I know who the guys you mentioned are, though.  I think by KW, though, you mean KT, right?  Wei Wang is the leader/coach of the Pasadena TTC where I go on Wednesday.  They also meet on Tuesday and Thursdays, but at $6 a night, once is a week is my limit.  They also have group lesson there, which is only like an additional $7, but again, it's currently not in the budget.  I've never had a lesson, before.  

Yea. Weiwang has runs several clubs. Yep, KT. I always forget his intials.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic